Discussion Forums  >  Plugins, Customizing, Source Code

Replies: 9    Views: 220

miku
Aspiring developer
Reg: Feb 20, 2014
zagorje ob savi
01/11/17 05:51 AM (7 years ago)

BT 4.0 test failed

I tried testing BT 4.0. self-hosted: Just 1 screen, CustomHTML on both iOS and Android. iOS failed, error is: Missing plugin? In BT_Screen and BT_Plugins I have bt_screen_customHTML. Android failed, error is: BT_config.txt is empty. Is there anything wrong with my self-hosted installation? It works fine with all 3.0 apps.

AlanMac
Aspiring developer
Reg: Mar 05, 2012
Esher, UK
01/11/17 11:06 AM (7 years ago)
Hmm, I thought I would try as well, doing a very similar thing with BT 4.0. Doesn't look good. In my test I have two screens. A menu Buttons linked to a custom URL screen. First thing I noticed was that my app had no JSON in the downloaded project. It now seems to live in a file called BT_config_en.txt (which was empty) in a folder called BT_Data. So I cut and pasted the json from my control panel. It didn't help. Then, just to see what would happen, I took the JSON from a recent BT 4 test app in my buzztouch hosted CP and pasted that in instead. Hey presto, my app runs. Conclusions: - 1) The BT 4 project download coming from self hosted seems to be basically sound, apart from the lack of any JSON file. 2) The json data being produced by the self hosted is not compatible with BT4 code. 3) The JSON produced by the Buzztouch hosted is. So to summarise, right now, you can't make projects from your self hosted, but you can maintain the existing ones.

miku
Aspiring developer
zagorje ob savi
01/11/17 11:20 AM (7 years ago)
How can existing projects be maintained and updated, if some plugins are 3, and some 4 compatible? You mean I can update my existing BT 3 projects?

AlanMac
Aspiring developer
Esher, UK
01/11/17 11:26 AM (7 years ago)
Hi Miku, I mean that if you make control panel changes from your self hosted, that will work for updating your existing BT 3 projects - the ones you downloaded before BT 4. I don't think we can make a BT 4 project that can be successfully published just yet. Certainly not on self hosted. PS - try copying the config data to see if you android project runs, I have only been experimention with iOS so far.

miku
Aspiring developer
zagorje ob savi
01/11/17 12:16 PM (7 years ago)
I tried copying BT_config.txt in AS, Not working. I think it should be possible also to work with BT3, until then, all of us, who wants to make, or are forced to make updates, are in serious problem.

AlanMac
Aspiring developer
Esher, UK
01/11/17 12:24 PM (7 years ago)
That would be nice...

FunkyMonkey
Aspiring developer
Reg: Aug 07, 2013
blackpool
01/12/17 01:46 AM (7 years ago)
This worrys me a lot as i tried to do an update to an app via my self hosted package yesterday, when it opened there was loads of errors with plugins, and i couldnt get it to launch, so i used an older version of the bt package and replaced the jason file with the one from my self hosted that worked, But I dont think I could produce a new app with the self hosted at the moment due to the errors and conflicts with plugins, I think maybe letting us have access to the old code till the errors are sorted would be great idea.

AlanMac
Aspiring developer
Esher, UK
01/12/17 02:04 AM (7 years ago)
Sean, I agree, your findings support my point that the json data being produced by the self hosted is not compatible with BT4 code (but works for older BT 3 code). I believe if you were to build your project on buzztouch hosted BT 4, you would have more success, but all the 3rd party plugins (such as mine) need to be converted to work with BT 4. When you build a plugin, you have provsion for packing in BT 3 code and BT 2 code (both ios and android). To support both BT 3 and BT 4 core, my belief is we would need to do something similar, but in the absence of any guidance, I have pulled my plugins until I know what needs to be done. What we have is broken, what we need is some clarity from the leadership about how this all moves forward. Cheers, Alan

Kaybee
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: Sep 22, 2012
Perth, Australi...
01/12/17 09:08 PM (7 years ago)
Hi gents, Just a quick note, we are furiously working on an update to the core (version 4.0.1). This should be out by Monday. As previously noted in another post plugins and core code need to both be on teh major version number, for example Plugins than run 4.x.x wont be able to run on Core V3.x For this reason we will not be offering a rolled back Core version. We are moving forward with new up to date code. After releasing the V4.0.0 two weeks ago we have gathered all the feedback and have done some bug cleaning. We expect V4.0.1 to have eradicated all those nasties. So look out for this, also we will have a few files for you to replace on your self hosted, to make sure that works well too, not a major update but rather just what is needed for now. Thank you for the feedback. Kristen

fusionsch
I hate code!
Reg: Dec 28, 2010
Montreux Switze...
01/14/17 03:41 AM (7 years ago)
Thanks, Kristen! Sorry to have not yet been able to test and send you feedback... as all my apps are self-hosted and as most of them use plugins that are not yet updated, I'm still stucked on BT 3.0... (sigh) Cheers Jack

Login + Screen Name Required to Post

pointerLogin to participate so you can start earning points. Once you're logged in (and have a screen name entered in your profile), you can subscribe to topics, follow users, and start learning how to make apps like the pros.