Discussion Forums  >  Suggestions, Ideas, Wish List

Replies: 4    Views: 311

Byron Bearden
Aspiring developer
Reg: Jun 04, 2015
Denver
06/11/15 02:21 PM (8 years ago)

Help with Direction

I posted about a week ago about a coding project I am working on. It needs to be accessible on a typical tablet for employers traveling and talking to customers. It lets the customer fill out a form and then gives them a quote based on the information. I found out that all I need is to take in customer information save it to some type of database, then do simple multiplication and addition depending on the job. I feel as though its a simple enough project for a webpage but I'm not sure how to implement a way to save the data about the customer. Or where I should start with making a plug-in for a webpage. Is there a program in particular I should use or a place I should go to get started. Thanks all!

mysps
Code is Art
Reg: May 14, 2011
Palma
06/11/15 02:32 PM (8 years ago)
You could use jotforms.com for form calculation and could serve as a way to save the data. They have a free service but the paid service is cheap. Performing simple calculations seem straight forward. The forms are responsive. So linking to the form URL is what i would do if you don't know how to program

Byron Bearden
Aspiring developer
Denver
06/11/15 03:13 PM (8 years ago)
How would the customer be able to see their quote once they fill out the form because to my understanding jotform only sends me a copy of what they filled out. What would be great is something that gives them a filled out quote at the end or even updates as they are putting info in, similar to excel functions. But this would be nice for our travelers to just be able to head to a website. I had never heard of this before thanks for the link!

Byron Bearden
Aspiring developer
Denver
06/11/15 03:38 PM (8 years ago)
How would the customer be able to see their quote once they fill out the form because to my understanding jotform only sends me a copy of what they filled out. What would be great is something that gives them a filled out quote at the end or even updates as they are putting info in, similar to excel functions. But this would be nice for our travelers to just be able to head to a website. I had never heard of this before thanks for the link!

Dusko
Veteran developer
Reg: Oct 13, 2012
Beograd
06/11/15 10:11 PM (8 years ago)
You need an app on the mobile device that talks to the back end of your business. Presumably, your business (or the business that you are working for) has a database app on the server so that people can query it and get the quotes or some other time sensitive info. This would be typically written in PHP, much like BT server is written with. There should be someone in charge of the databases on the server -- filling in the data, editing, changing it and the like. Then the mobile app should query it on the go and, probably, write that data onto the local storage of the device, for easy access later. The database server should get the data from the app in real time and here is a manual for a similar need: https://www.buzztouch.com/files/howtos/Posting_Current_Location_to_a_Database_v1.0.pdf That manual shows you how to send the data from the app to the database on the server, using PHP. That would be a general introduction, what you do now depends on whether you are a programmer, that is, would you like to write it all on your own or not. Or, you may try to use specialized back-end services for mobile data, such as Kinvey or QuickBlox. There will be others, but these two are endorsed by Buzztouch and you can see them when you choose option Prepare Project Download from the left side menu of the app, and then choose Include Optional SDK's Let us know what you chose to do, for the benefit of other members of this forum.

Login + Screen Name Required to Post

pointerLogin to participate so you can start earning points. Once you're logged in (and have a screen name entered in your profile), you can subscribe to topics, follow users, and start learning how to make apps like the pros.