Discussion Forums  >  Uncategorized

Replies: 6    Views: 397

Esteban Mora
Aspiring developer
Reg: Feb 14, 2012
Costa Rica
02/17/12 02:13 PM (12 years ago)

Is Android 2.2 (Google API 8) required?

Hi, First, I'm a Linux user and I don't have a Mac at home. I'm new to buzztouch. In the videos it seems like a tool that you can fall in love with immediately. I was trying to build my first application yesterday and I found some strange stuff. First, it seems that Google API 8 (2.2) is mandatory. I tried to upload the project within Eclipse using other APIs and a lot of errors occur. I have no problem with API 8 besides that all major Android devices are using API 7 (Android 2.1). I generate a demo application and tried to install it on a Kindle Fire (Android 2.1) and it was impossible. Thanks, Esteban

KevinPerry
Android Fan
Reg: Jan 10, 2012
Wisconsin, USA
02/17/12 02:32 PM (12 years ago)
I am not sure, but it may help to add {android compatibility libraries} to the project. {right click project, android tools, add android compatibility libraries}

GoNorthWest
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: Jun 24, 2011
Oro Valley, AZ
02/17/12 02:45 PM (12 years ago)
Hi @Esteban Mora, Welcome to buzztouch! I think you fill find it's a service you can fall in love with immediately...I did! Yes, you need the Google APIs specified in the Readme files for both v1.4 and v1.5. They are different depending on which version of BT you are using. Here's a document about setting up your Eclipse environment (yep, I know it's for Windows, but much applies to Linux), and it specifies the required APIs : http://www.buzztouch.com/resources/Setting_Up_Your_Android_Development_Environment_v1.3.pdf Let us know if you have any other questions! Lots of us in this forum willing to help! Mark

Fred@mySkylla com
Android Fan
Reg: Oct 03, 2011
location unknow...
02/17/12 05:03 PM (12 years ago)
My guide along with helpful documentation on the Buzztouch help tab well have you compiling in no time. www.myskylla.wordpress.com Fred

Esteban Mora
Aspiring developer
Reg: Feb 14, 2012
Costa Rica
02/17/12 08:56 PM (12 years ago)
After playing for a while with buzztouch I have more questions than answers. First, loading the application in the Android SDK make the application look awful. I'm following the same example as in the videos but using Android SDK. Second, a lot of the functions that I activate (like page curls) didn't appear in the AVM (using API 8). I still don't know how to apply forms to interact with the data of my server. I'm lost.

GoNorthWest
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: Jun 24, 2011
Oro Valley, AZ
02/17/12 09:06 PM (12 years ago)
Hi @Esteban Mora, First, let me say Welcome to buzztouch! I think you'll find lots of good stuff here, if you're willing to hang out and keep asking questions. I'll admit that I have far more experience with iOS applications, and find the interface for most Android apps to be...well...not up to iOS standards (no need to flame me, @Fred!). Buzztouch does an amazing job of letting you configure an app online, and providing source code for both Android and iOS. Unfortunately, not all features are supported on both platforms. You'll have to play around and see what works for you and what doesn't. The totally cool thing is that you have all the source code there at your disposal, so if you are so inclined, you can tweak and change things to your hearts content. Just gotta spend the time learning stuff. Hang in there...lots of people on this forum have built very successful apps for both Android and iOS. Keep the questions coming, and you'll probably find the answers you seek! Mark

Fred@mySkylla com
Android Fan
Reg: Oct 03, 2011
location unknow...
02/17/12 09:36 PM (12 years ago)
@Mark, thanks for the shout out. Your right not all features are supported on both platforms (read Android), but almost every feature now has a workaround. I'd be interested in knowing what if any iOS features are not supported. Interactive forms and databases are the last frontier. I dare say on this front it appears Android will have the advantage. Regarding Android interface, that's mostly because Android users are publishing before they understand how to properly do graphics or simply don't care. I guess they're App Happy. Google has published a guide regarding graphics. They also suggest that app developers are not graphics designers and that app publishers should utilize the services of graphics designers for a successful app. Apple avoids the problem by having a closed market. Fred

Login + Screen Name Required to Post

pointerLogin to participate so you can start earning points. Once you're logged in (and have a screen name entered in your profile), you can subscribe to topics, follow users, and start learning how to make apps like the pros.