miku
Aspiring developer
Reg: Feb 20, 2014
zagorje ob savi
07/20/15 01:35 AM (8 years ago)

Android Studio Google Map

I have self hosted Android app and since Android Studio is not yet self hosted, I wonder if it is the same to add Google map to AS as to Eclipse? Is it better to use Eclipse until self hosted AS comes?

ictguy
Aspiring developer
Reg: Jun 17, 2011
Mildura, Austra...
07/20/15 03:21 AM (8 years ago)
Hello Miku, Whether you are self-hosted or not will make no difference to Android Studio or Eclipse. It may however effect how you build, compile and run your projects. AS and Eclipse are IDE's that can compile code ... and whether the backend is buzztouch or self-hosted really makes no difference. Perhaps someone who has google maps compiling and working on Android studio could chime in with some tips for you??? Cheers Darrel

miku
Aspiring developer
zagorje ob savi
07/20/15 03:40 AM (8 years ago)
If I make my app on BT server, I can download Package Android Studio Project, which is not the case in self-hosted: there is only Android project which should be imported in AS. I read on this forums that David works on self-hosted version of AS. Maybe I missed something?

SmugWimp
Smugger than thou...
Reg: Nov 07, 2012
Tamuning, GU
07/20/15 05:36 AM (8 years ago)
Well, Android Studio and Eclipse are 'compilers'. What they're doing is taking our high level code, and crunching it into specific language that the devices understand. Regardless of Eclipse or Android Studio, the result is an APK file that is 'tied' to your BT Control panel via the config file. So it doesn't matter which compiler you use. But Eclipse is on the way out, and Android Studio is on the way in. David has not released 'Android Studio Ready' packages for Self Hosted servers 'yet', so at the moment you must download the old school eclipse ready package, and import it into Android Studio. Mark (Go North West) has a tutorial video to show you how on his youtube page (youtube.com/gonorthwest). Cheers! -- Smug

Dusko
Veteran developer
Reg: Oct 13, 2012
Beograd
07/20/15 06:51 AM (8 years ago)
I found useful the following procedure: -- Create an app that contains just one screen in the buzztouch.com. It will run just fine and you can import it into AS, directly, without any conversions from Eclipse. -- To get that first app going, you may have hundreds of errors that AS puts in front of you. Google them out and download or delete files from AVD. -- Once that you have your minimal app working, start using that as a blueprint for all future apps under AS. -- Then create your app in your self hosted panel, as usual. Download it and copy java and xml files into their respective folders under AS folder structure. In that way you circumvent the lack of support for self hosted AS projects. Study gradle files in your app, you will see that everything is written in them. You can edit the gradle files directly, which is a huge advantage over Eclipse, once you learn what to do.

Sherry
Lost but trying
Reg: Jan 05, 2013
South Africa
07/20/15 01:12 PM (8 years ago)
I am also on self host and created first android app which contained maps about a month ago. Like Smug mentioned above I used Mark's tutorial on youtube to show how easy it actually is to download from buzztouch self host and import into android studio. I never used eclipse much prior to android studio but think to get google maps to work is either identical or very similar to what you did in eclipse. In android studio i just added the code i got from my google developer account for maps in the manifest file and it seemed to work fine after that. If you dont come right please let us know and I'll try go through and remember step by step what i did so i can help advise you better

SmugWimp
Smugger than thou...
Reg: Nov 07, 2012
Tamuning, GU
07/20/15 05:45 PM (8 years ago)
Good Tips, Dusko! Thanks! Still finding my way around AS... Cheers! -- Smug

miku
Aspiring developer
zagorje ob savi
07/21/15 02:38 AM (8 years ago)
Thanks!

Worker73
Android Fan
Reg: Feb 06, 2012
Austria, Klagen...
07/23/15 02:21 AM (8 years ago)
Just Following ;-)

Login + Screen Name Required to Post

pointerLogin to participate so you can start earning points. Once you're logged in (and have a screen name entered in your profile), you can subscribe to topics, follow users, and start learning how to make apps like the pros.