Discussion Forums  >  iOS / Android Beta Testers

Replies: 13    Views: 113

sxywebgirl
Aspiring developer
Reg: Apr 12, 2013
Altadena, CA
04/19/13 04:13 PM (11 years ago)

what should I use to test android app ?

TestFlight was recommended for testing iOS but they dont have testing for Android. Is there a similar testing platform for Android that someone can recommend? thanks, Theresa

SmugWimp
Smugger than thou...
Reg: Nov 07, 2012
Tamuning, GU
04/19/13 04:18 PM (11 years ago)
For iOS I use an iPhone 3GS and iPhone 4, as well as an iPad 1 and recently an iPad 2. for Android I use the emulators, and my Galaxy Tab 7" tablet as well as my wife's Galaxy Nexus Phone. Devices are more stable than emulators/simulators. Cheers! -- Smug

sxywebgirl
Aspiring developer
Altadena, CA
04/19/13 05:45 PM (11 years ago)
@SmugWimp, How do you get your apps on your phone for testing? I agree testing on a real device is the best. Theresa

sxywebgirl
Aspiring developer
Altadena, CA
04/19/13 05:46 PM (11 years ago)
I have an iPhone 3GS and iPhone 4 as well as a Nexus5 tablet that I would like to test on. T.

Outbreak
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: May 30, 2011
Colorado
04/19/13 05:51 PM (11 years ago)
Just have your phone plugged into your computer. When you run the code as an Android app it will give you the choice to run on sim or device. -Shane

SmugWimp
Smugger than thou...
Reg: Nov 07, 2012
Tamuning, GU
04/19/13 05:55 PM (11 years ago)
For Android, pretty much what Outbreak says. For iOS it's almost the same (you choose the device prior to a run), but you 'will' have to have an Apple Developer subscription ($99 per year) in order to 'provision' a device for testing. http://developer.apple.com Cheers! -- Smug

sxywebgirl
Aspiring developer
Altadena, CA
04/19/13 06:09 PM (11 years ago)
I have an iPhone 3GS and iPhone 4 as well as a Nexus5 tablet that I would like to test on. T.

sxywebgirl
Aspiring developer
Altadena, CA
04/19/13 06:12 PM (11 years ago)
That is good news! I have an Apple Dev subscript. Is there a way for my client to put it on her Android phone for testing with out plugging her phone into my computer? Thanks @Outbreak and @SmugWimp T.

Arubaman
Aspiring developer
Reg: Oct 20, 2011
Akron
04/19/13 06:29 PM (11 years ago)
Yes grab your latest build from eclipse(apk file), clients phone would have to allow "install apps from unknown sources" checked under settings.

nadthevlad
Code is Art
Reg: Jun 07, 2012
Denver
04/20/13 12:20 AM (11 years ago)
Last I heard this was in private beta. Worth a try though. https://testflightapp.com/android/

Frogman
Aspiring developer
Reg: Jan 05, 2013
Bratislava
04/20/13 07:37 AM (11 years ago)
In your device go to settings, developer options, checkmark testing mode. Then plug your usb cable to your computer, in Eclipse right click your project - Run As - Run Configurations - look for Target, there you checkmark whatever you need... your tablet/phone should be visible among AVDs and devices. Happy apping! Frogman

Dusko
Veteran developer
Reg: Oct 13, 2012
Beograd
04/20/13 10:14 AM (11 years ago)
For Android and for your particular hardware device, you may have to download and install some kind of a driver. I know my HTC Wildfire S was virtually ignored by the computer (Windows XP) until I installed the corresponding driver. You may not have this problem if you are using devices that fit more naturaly, such as using Google devices to develop for. Once you connect your device to Eclipse, pay attention to the DDMS perspective. It is very important to use that view, because it is from that perspective that you are able to take screenshots of your device directly to the clipboard. Once that the device is connected, you may run the app directly on the device if you set it up in that way. Right click on the name of the app, then Run As > Run Configurations > Target tab, then click on Launch on all compatible devices, and finally Run. That will run the app on the device. Sometimes you will not be able to run it directly, then just uninstall the old app on the device and run it again from Eclipse. The other way to run your app is to treat the device as a USB external drive and copy the apk file directly to it. You will find the apk file in the bin folder of the app. I then run Astro manager (a free download from the Play store), then execute the apk file, which has the effect of installing the app. Then you run the app from the icon on the device and usually it all goes smoothly. It is best to set Install location to internalOnly in the AndroidManifest.xml file while you are testing, and then, for the final deployment, change that parameter to preferExternal, because lots of people will just uninstall the app if they see that it runs in the internal memory only.

sxywebgirl
Aspiring developer
Altadena, CA
04/20/13 04:19 PM (11 years ago)
That is good news! I have an Apple Dev subscript. Is there a way for my client to put it on her Android phone for testing with out plugging her phone into my computer? Thanks @Outbreak and @SmugWimp T.

elusivestars
Code is Art
Reg: Oct 24, 2012
AZ
04/26/13 05:09 PM (11 years ago)
Give us a try - 5 tests for free (no credit card needed). You select the test target, we deploy the apps and collect feedback. https://www.elusivestars.com We provide real users and devices for testing mobile apps. You can even select your testers by device specifics (OS, sensors...) and demographics. Pete Oliveira Founder - elusivestars.com

Login + Screen Name Required to Post

pointerLogin to participate so you can start earning points. Once you're logged in (and have a screen name entered in your profile), you can subscribe to topics, follow users, and start learning how to make apps like the pros.