Discussion Forums  >  iOS / Android Beta Testers

Replies: 28    Views: 112

LockTech
Aspiring developer
Reg: Feb 26, 2013
biloxi
04/14/13 08:53 AM (11 years ago)

new android app needs testing and opinion on load time for info sheets

have a new app which is basically a large and complex menu with a few html info pages all the menus link too eventually. all the menus seem to work well so far but, always initially loading any info page there is a lag or load time that is far more than i would expect. like a whole min or so. at least on all 3 different devices i have. im gonna send some copies out to some of you who have offered up to be avaiable to test stuff out.. if anyone is interested in receiving my app please leave an email and ill send it to ya. any and all help or ideas are welcome thanks

Suvinay pawa
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: Aug 01, 2012
location unknow...
04/14/13 09:07 AM (11 years ago)
Ddo try testdroid(Google it) It helps me a lot by testing on actual devices..Five free apps are allowed:)

Sandeep
Android Fan
Reg: Feb 01, 2012
Miraj, India
04/14/13 09:59 AM (11 years ago)
I can test it on my Galaxy tab2 right now... But it would be better if you put the apk file on dropbox or some other cloud service for download...

LockTech
Aspiring developer
biloxi
04/15/13 12:17 PM (11 years ago)
got drop box and link is... http://db.tt/yEGlt3my hope i did this right ...

LockTech
Aspiring developer
biloxi
04/15/13 12:19 PM (11 years ago)

LockTech
Aspiring developer
biloxi
04/15/13 12:21 PM (11 years ago)
there we go .. sorry for all the posts ....most this im concerned about is the delay in info page loading.... btw not all menus lead to an info page yet

Sandeep
Android Fan
Miraj, India
04/15/13 07:20 PM (11 years ago)
I will test the app and then tell you what i find about the problems i face while testing within few minutes...

Sandeep
Android Fan
Miraj, India
04/15/13 07:27 PM (11 years ago)
Ok, i downloaded the apk and tried to install it on my device but, for some odd reason the apk is not getting installed on my device despite several attempts. Have you properly signed the apk file before exporting it? Here is the link of screen shot- https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/61663890/test/Screenshot_2013-04-16-07-52-26.png

LockTech
Aspiring developer
biloxi
04/16/13 06:27 AM (11 years ago)
ok here is new apk hope this is right.. new link and i actually loaded this one on my phone so i know it works... https://www.dropbox.com/s/68x03byyv2e3jsk/BT_activity_root_test.apk

LockTech
Aspiring developer
biloxi
04/16/13 09:26 AM (11 years ago)
the new link above should work now.... <a href="https://www.dropbox.com/s/68x03byyv2e3jsk/BT_activity_root_test.apk" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">https://www.dropbox.com/s/68x03byyv2e3jsk/BT_activity_root_test.apk</a> what i dont understand is why the long delay in the info page load. example after starting app ...click on suzuki...click on by model... click on hyayabusa...click on any year and an info page will load, but takes 30s or so to pull page up. why is that ??

Sandeep
Android Fan
Miraj, India
04/16/13 09:47 AM (11 years ago)
ok i will check the new apk and inform what i find out...

Sandeep
Android Fan
Miraj, India
04/16/13 10:02 AM (11 years ago)
Ok, so here is what i found. First of all the app is still under development mode i think coz most of the screens are still blank. I take that those screens are either custom url or html doc screens. I checked the Suzuki--> By Model--> Hayabusa--> Year... Some of the screens in this menu list do take time loading as you say about more than 20 secs. But some other screens do take not even a second to load... For eg- 2005, 2006, 2002 did loaded instantly on my tab2. This might be because you are using dropbox (i assume). I have seen that when you host files on dropbox these days, the speed of downloading the data takes a bit more time than hosting those files on server. Might be because its free and not paid as well. So i now host my files on my server and the speed is really good now. Also would like to tell you that once the page is downloaded it gets cached in the device memory. So it takes no time to load the page on the consecutive runs... If thats ok with you then you can go with dropbox... or else find other options like skydrive or google drive or even beter a server...

LockTech
Aspiring developer
biloxi
04/16/13 10:45 AM (11 years ago)
sandeep what phone did u use ? the reason some of the screens loaded fast was because they were same pages as u loaded the first time. some years link to same pages is why. the info pages are made by copy pasting from microsoft word into "Custom HTML / Text" plugin screen. all other pages are simple menus. i believe the whole app to be local to phone as in none of it is hosted outside of the program. so that shouldnt be the issue. unless im not understanding how the Custom HTML / Text pages work. btw the pages that load blank are menu items that have no target still is all.

Sandeep
Android Fan
Miraj, India
04/16/13 10:51 AM (11 years ago)
I used Glalxy Tab2. If all the html docs are inside the app then it should not take that much time to show on the screen... And you say that you use custom html/text plugin to show these html docs... Well i would suggest you use html doc plugin instead if you have all the html files in the app locally...

LockTech
Aspiring developer
biloxi
04/16/13 10:53 AM (11 years ago)
ok will try that thanks.

LockTech
Aspiring developer
biloxi
04/16/13 11:05 AM (11 years ago)
ok will try that thanks.

LockTech
Aspiring developer
biloxi
04/16/13 04:52 PM (11 years ago)
ok initial test with using HTML DOC and PDF DOC did not even load a page. so im haveing to figure out why... why would some people be seeing the same delay and others not....could it just be a simple memory issue ?

Sandeep
Android Fan
Miraj, India
04/16/13 07:11 PM (11 years ago)
Have you included those html and pdf files in the BT_Docs folder? Assuming you did, they should just work fine... I dont have any idea why they are taking time to load... I checked that your apk file is not more than 400 kbs in size, which suggests that the files included are not too big. This should load files quickly... but they are not... If this is your first time compiling an android app, i would like to assist you to compile this app for you. Just send me the project file in zip format to my mail add- sandeepkurne (at) gmail (dot) com. I will see if you are missing something there..

LockTech
Aspiring developer
biloxi
04/17/13 05:32 AM (11 years ago)
here is the link to zip from BT https://www.dropbox.com/s/ar9zsbwbmladpo3/locksmithquickapp_v20_Android%286%29.zip in the menu suzuki>by model>hayabusa> xxxx year.....the last 3 diff 2012 was where i was testing out the pdf and html doc pages.

LockTech
Aspiring developer
biloxi
04/21/13 05:16 AM (11 years ago)
Sandeep was u able to figure anything out differently than me ?

Sandeep
Android Fan
Miraj, India
04/21/13 05:32 AM (11 years ago)
@LockTech- I am extremely sorry, i missed your last post... i will check your project file and tell you if i figure out something else that can correct the problem.

Sandeep
Android Fan
Miraj, India
04/21/13 06:05 AM (11 years ago)
Ok, so i took a look at the config file and found that you have used custom HTML plugin and linked all the html files from BT control panel. You have also used the pdf and docx files in your app but those files were not in the above zip file so i could not test them since they are used locally within the app. I tested your app on my Samsung Galaxy Tab2 and i went through like below- Suzuki-->By model-->xxx year. Most of the screens by year now work nicely and html pages load instantly. However, as i said no docx and pdf file were included in the zip file, i could not test them since i get error on those screens. The only screens that do not load instantly are 2006 and 2007 but they take about 15-20 seconds to load it. As i posted above, try using html docs instead of using customHTML. Create all the files in html editor and then link them within the app using custom url plugin or html doc plugin and include all the html files within the app in the assets folder. Now this approach is very handy only in case you are not going to update your html pages every now and then. But if the contents of the html doc are not going to change frequently (which is your case) then this approach including html files locally within the app is very useful to run the app instantly...

LockTech
Aspiring developer
biloxi
04/23/13 09:12 AM (11 years ago)
thanks alot Sandeep, i think i inderstanding alot more now .. how all this is working out. i understand now that the delayed load times for my info pages is now due to them being online hosted and different download speeds effect there promptness. also have found out that i can not use custom/html plugin locally it has to be online.. so thats out. and onto useing custom url and html doc plugins. which i attempted to use but didnt work. fully understand that i just didnt know what i was doing. so ... if you could explain a bit more detail as to how to use those plugins better into my app i would appreciate it much. thanks again...

Sandeep
Android Fan
Miraj, India
04/23/13 09:43 AM (11 years ago)
Yes i know what you are saying because even i had to go through the same process. In fact everyone here has gone through this process. Just instead of using custom text / html plugin use the html doc plugin. In the html plugin screen on your bt control panel you will have an option to host the html page either online just like the custom text but in this case instead of custom text or url, it will be a html file which you can host either on your server or your dropbox. You have then to copy this url and put it in the html url/ web address field. Other option you have is to put these html files locally in the app. In that case all you have to do is fill up the details in your control panel (for html doc plugin page) in the field html file name. so say for ex you have created a html file and named it page1 then in the field named html file name on bt control panel you have to fill up this field like - > page1.html. and at the time of compiling the app on eclipse put the html file in the assets--->BT_Docs folder. You can also set other properties for this screen in the advanced screen properties like setting background color, image, the document behavior etc... I recommend you take the course of essential learning path before you make any app. This will prove to be very helpful to you. Link- https://www.buzztouch.com/account/btu.php

Sandeep
Android Fan
Miraj, India
04/23/13 09:47 AM (11 years ago)
I forgot to mention that you will have to create html files first. You can create html files by using dreamweaver, coffeecup, or some program like them. Coffeecup html editor is free for windows and is easy to use. It is wysiwyg editor so you can create html pages easily using this software. I personally use dreamweaver to create html pages but its not free.

LockTech
Aspiring developer
biloxi
04/23/13 10:29 AM (11 years ago)
thanks alot Sandeep, i think i inderstanding alot more now .. how all this is working out. i understand now that the delayed load times for my info pages is now due to them being online hosted and different download speeds effect there promptness. also have found out that i can not use custom/html plugin locally it has to be online.. so thats out. and onto useing custom url and html doc plugins. which i attempted to use but didnt work. fully understand that i just didnt know what i was doing. so ... if you could explain a bit more detail as to how to use those plugins better into my app i would appreciate it much. thanks again...

LockTech
Aspiring developer
biloxi
04/23/13 12:05 PM (11 years ago)

LockTech
Aspiring developer
biloxi
04/23/13 01:02 PM (11 years ago)
i found a helper pdf called ADDING FILES TO A PROJECT and has helped alot i can now load my info pages offline in airplane mode. all is good for now.... thanks all who helped...

LockTech
Aspiring developer
biloxi
04/23/13 01:32 PM (11 years ago)
i found a helper pdf called ADDING FILES TO A PROJECT and has helped alot i can now load my info pages offline in airplane mode. all is good for now.... thanks all who helped...

Login + Screen Name Required to Post

pointerLogin to participate so you can start earning points. Once you're logged in (and have a screen name entered in your profile), you can subscribe to topics, follow users, and start learning how to make apps like the pros.