Discussion Forums  >  Suggestions, Ideas, Wish List

Replies: 6    Views: 99

Wharrgarble
Lost but trying
Reg: Jul 24, 2014
Richmond
07/24/14 10:23 AM (9 years ago)

work tracking idea

so I am thinking about building an app that would allow the user to select a name from a drop-down, then select one of two options (onsite or remote), and hit "start." The start button would need to start a stopwatch counter, and if the "onsite" option is chosen, it would need to send an SMS with the following: "I have arrived at <name from drop-down>, <current time>." Then I would also like to be able to stop the stopwatch, and when I do, I want it to send an email with some pre-populated information that would be something like "Client:<name from drop down>" "Time Spent: <The stopwatch end time>" "<Onsite/Remote>, " and you have the option to type more info if you need it, or you can send the email as is. My question is... is this something that I can easily do here? if so, does anyone have any helpful hints?

LeonG
Apple Fan
Reg: Nov 08, 2011
Hamburg
07/24/14 02:50 PM (9 years ago)
everything is doable as buzztouch has no limits, but this is not something for beginners and way to custom to be available as plugin. If you are really interested in making apps, start with simpler stuff and work your way through the how-to´s and the learning paths. If the counter thing is the only thing you want to do, I would suggest you hire a skilled programmer.

Kaybee
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: Sep 22, 2012
Perth, Australi...
07/24/14 07:36 PM (9 years ago)
Welcome, Where you from mate? As Leon says you can make anything via BT quicker and easier than doing alone. Sounds like you looking for an app like this one: www.toggl.com its a lot cheaper than paying someone to develop it for you ;) Kristen

Niraj
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: Jul 11, 2012
Cerritos
07/24/14 08:29 PM (9 years ago)
You can do most of it without any customization, I bet. iPhone or Android? I would use a combination of these plugins and stitch them together via the BT Control Panel: - Simple Menu screens - Timer / countdown / stopwatch screen - SMS screens Stitch it all together. Initially, You may have to manually type in the SMS message. Hey! You got yourself a working app! You are on top of the world! Then come back and ask us, "how do I enhance this particular part?" -- Niraj

Wharrgarble
Lost but trying
Richmond
07/25/14 05:49 AM (9 years ago)
Kaybee: I'm from the states. That app might do the trick. Niraj: Android. I'll check out those plugins. Would it be simpler to select/record start/end times and just do the math instead of using a stopwatch?

Niraj
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: Jul 11, 2012
Cerritos
07/25/14 08:27 AM (9 years ago)
Humans are inherently lazy. The more you can help them to not think and to not calculate numbers, the more they will be using your app. Speaking of lazy, Kaybee's tip is awesome! :-) -- Niraj

Wharrgarble
Lost but trying
Richmond
07/25/14 08:37 AM (9 years ago)
This is more just for me and my boss/coworkers to help us keep track. While that app she mentioned looks promising, im trying to avoid too much cost, especially recurring cost.

Login + Screen Name Required to Post

pointerLogin to participate so you can start earning points. Once you're logged in (and have a screen name entered in your profile), you can subscribe to topics, follow users, and start learning how to make apps like the pros.