Discussion Forums  >  Self Hosted Control Panels

Replies: 7    Views: 107

KevinPerry
Android Fan
Reg: Jan 10, 2012
Wisconsin, USA
08/16/14 12:58 PM (9 years ago)

Upgrade Self-Host Server without API key

Hello all, I was wondering how or if it is possible to upgrade the self-hosted Buzztouch software without having the API key (or its control panel). I am currently still running the 2.x BETA setup (from 2011/2012) and would like to get to current ... or ... is it best to put off all my developing until the next version comes out and all the other excitement for Buzztouch (BtGo etc.) is complete. Thanks, Kevin

SmugWimp
Smugger than thou...
Reg: Nov 07, 2012
Tamuning, GU
08/17/14 05:23 AM (9 years ago)
Well, you can always download the latest BT Self Hosted as a member, but without the API key, you're not going to download projects or syncronize plugins with your BT control panel. And perhaps some other functionality. All you can really do is create new apps and look at all the configuration possibilities. But you'll never get to the point where you can download apps/projects until the API key is correctly entered. Cheers! -- Smug

KevinPerry
Android Fan
Wisconsin, USA
08/17/14 08:00 AM (9 years ago)
Yes, I found that out. I downloaded and installed the latest version, but it did not upgrade, or migrate, the API key with its install. So I was glad I made a backup of the site and SQL beforehand , so that I could restore it and get the apps already hosted on it, back up and workable. Was trying to determine if it was worth it to try and go through and see about getting it fixed now, or wait until the new version comes out and then go through and see about getting it fixed. Do not want to put more work out there for the team, if it is going to be a hassle or issue, prior to the upgrades coming here. It does work at this point, but it definitely puts a damper on development (apps and plugins). Thanks :-)

Niraj
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: Jul 11, 2012
Cerritos
08/17/14 01:30 PM (9 years ago)
Absolutely do NOT await for a new version. It may come soon or it may come later. Retain control by using the latest available software. From last year's experience with BT Server v3, the new BtCentral (v4) will be in beta mode for many weeks while the bugs are reported, discovered, investigated, tested, resolved and updated. Stay with the known ...v3. -- Niraj

KevinPerry
Android Fan
Wisconsin, USA
08/17/14 02:36 PM (9 years ago)
I agree, I like to and try to, stay with the most current version. Being I was away for a while and am still on the old v2 I can not do much in the way of developing. Would like to get it current and then offer what help I can with v4 (I have my own private server so can do whatever I please however I please, right from its keyboard) BUT I hate to bug the team, I have already sent Stephen a couple messages (within the last couple weeks), but have not gotten a reply. I was thinking that they were busy with the upgrading or such, and did not want to bother them with a small detail like this. At this point I am not going to push it and hope I get a message about my API control panel soon. Thanks for the comment

Susan Metoxen
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: May 01, 2011
Hopkins, Minnes...
08/17/14 08:52 PM (9 years ago)
As far as I know, there is no need to reset your api key to install the latest version. I would definitely get caught up to 3.0. I think you likely didn't have your config file set up correctly when you tried before. If you try it again and have problems, I can help you figure it out. You can either send me a PM or an email to [email protected] and we will get it sorted out. We can set up a GoToMeeting to look at it if we need to.

KevinPerry
Android Fan
Wisconsin, USA
08/17/14 11:06 PM (9 years ago)
I will run through it again a third time, later on Monday. Everything was working fine except showing the API Key, like the current version does. Not having an API listed on the site here (in my control panel section for it) is why I was thinking it was not working (?nothing for it to verify to?). Will post my success or will message you if needed. I do not think GoToMeeting will be necessary. Thanks, Kevin

Susan Metoxen
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: May 01, 2011
Hopkins, Minnes...
08/18/14 06:53 AM (9 years ago)
Let me know. The GoToMeeting is just for you and me, so I can see how you set everything up.

Login + Screen Name Required to Post

pointerLogin to participate so you can start earning points. Once you're logged in (and have a screen name entered in your profile), you can subscribe to topics, follow users, and start learning how to make apps like the pros.