Discussion Forums  >  Introduce Yourself

Replies: 7    Views: 109

DouceTech
Apple Fan
Reg: Jan 25, 2014
New Orleans
02/20/14 03:31 PM (10 years ago)

New Member needs a push in the right direction.

Hi all, Im a new member that joined to be able to start the build process on a new app i want to use for work. So I thought it would be a good place for me to jump in. Im basically looking to create an incident report or police type of report that can be used on an iPad so i can use its native features camera and map etc.. I would love some tips/pointers to help me get started. I am very green when it comes to mobile app dev. , I have built the report in an html format using dreamweaver but it E-mails me the file then I have a script that moves the new data to a database but its not-automated like I want it to be and I want to eliminate the manual running of the script every time a form is completed. I have been googling all the data on the subject and I have found lots almost to mush and now more confused then before. So Im looking for a little push in the right direction to help me get started. Thanks D.

@rob
Code is Art
Reg: Dec 10, 2013
Alabama
02/20/14 03:49 PM (10 years ago)
First things to tackle is the data handling. Instead of having your new report data emailed to you (or in addition to, if you still want the emails) you need to push it directly into your database. How are you with PHP/SQL? I assume that a form is completed in your HTML doc and then submitted which then emails the form to you. Instead of that, you need to have your form POST its data to a php script that will write it to your database Once you get the data into a database, pulling it back out for displaying in a mobile app is pretty straight forward.

Susan Metoxen
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: May 01, 2011
Hopkins, Minnes...
02/20/14 10:44 PM (10 years ago)
Buzztouch is a great starting point for this because of the code pre-written for us in the self-hosted control panel. I would be interested seeing how you work this out. The Message Location and Email image plugins could get you a long way.

DouceTech
Apple Fan
New Orleans
02/20/14 10:49 PM (10 years ago)
Thanks for the response its truly appreciated. The emailed data was the only way i could get it to work i don't want it that way at all i would like to get it imported right into a database so i can search and push to other applications. I can find my way around php if i have a base to change up. Is there a source of sample code you know about that you can point me to. im willing to start from scratch and abandoned the html way if needed. Thanks D.

DouceTech
Apple Fan
New Orleans
02/20/14 10:53 PM (10 years ago)
Susan i will keep you in the loop as i progress, i just finished setting up my self hosted control panel, and downloaded all my plugins.

@rob
Code is Art
Alabama
02/21/14 08:46 AM (10 years ago)
@DouceTech this should get you going, this is a basic html form example and a php script to insert the form data into a db, once you understand this simple example you should be able to get something going for your existing form. Just reply back here with any questions: //here is the HTML page with the simple form.. <html> <body> <h1>A small example page to insert some data into the MySQL database using PHP</h1> <form action="insert.php" method="post"> Firstname: <input type="text" name="fname" /><br><br> Lastname: <input type="text" name="lname" /><br><br>   <input type="submit" /> </form> </body>
</html> //here is the php (name it insert.php) and save it in the same directory as your html page above.. <?php $con = mysql_connect(“your_db_host”,”your_db_name”,”your_db_password"); if (!$con)   {   die('Could not connect: ' . mysql_error());   }   mysql_select_db(“your_db_name”, $con);   $sql="INSERT INTO your_db_table_name (fname, lname) VALUES ('$_POST[fname]','$_POST[lname]')";   if (!mysql_query($sql,$con))   {   die('Error: ' . mysql_error());   } echo "1 record added";   mysql_close($con) ?>

DouceTech
Apple Fan
New Orleans
02/21/14 09:09 AM (10 years ago)
THANKS !! This is what I needed (php). If you don't mind I'll keep you up to date on the progress and thanks again.

@rob
Code is Art
Alabama
02/21/14 09:10 AM (10 years ago)
Sure...feel free to PM me if needed

Login + Screen Name Required to Post

pointerLogin to participate so you can start earning points. Once you're logged in (and have a screen name entered in your profile), you can subscribe to topics, follow users, and start learning how to make apps like the pros.