Discussion Forums  >  Suggestions, Ideas, Wish List

Replies: 5    Views: 66

trouty
I hate code!
Reg: Mar 26, 2013
London Outskirt...
05/12/14 02:06 AM (10 years ago)

Freemium and Pro?

Whats the best/easiest/most effective method of creating 2 versions of the same app? I'd like one version to be free, with ad's; plus one version priced at tier 1 or 2, with no ads. Can i just do one project in BT, download, add in my sdk's and adverts, send it up to Apple, then send them the same but packaged with the adverts commented out? Or do i need to mess around with additional certificates? Cheers

chris1
Code is Art
Reg: Aug 10, 2012
Austin, TX
05/12/14 05:52 AM (10 years ago)
You'll need two bundle id's. But it can be same project folder. Having the same folder means you only have to make future updates once, but it also means you have to change the bundle id and code for ads (and app name) every time you do an update. It's probably better to just have two project folders on your computer and probably two apps on your control panel.

AlanMac
Aspiring developer
Reg: Mar 05, 2012
Esher, UK
05/12/14 09:21 AM (10 years ago)
I recently did this - one app in the control panel supporting ad-free and with-ad versions of the same app. Not too hard if you want to go with I-Ads. You create the app in BT, download it as a 'no-ad' version, compile in xcode to make sure it works as you expect. Then duplicate the project on your mac. Change the name and id for the second app, as that has to be different (necessary as it has a different name in the app store) and add the advertising. For the advert version with i-ad, I found the on/off test in each of the plugin codes where the banners should be and changed the code to make iad 'on'. Submit both to Apple and you have two apps managed from one entry in your control panel. Voila!

trouty
I hate code!
Reg: Mar 26, 2013
London Outskirt...
05/12/14 11:12 AM (10 years ago)
Hmm... There are no iAds options in my plugins anymore

AlanMac
Aspiring developer
Reg: Mar 05, 2012
Esher, UK
05/12/14 11:16 AM (10 years ago)
Enabling I-Ad is a part of standard BT, I went down the easy route! But, the concept is still valid with other advertising, imho.

tb
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: Nov 03, 2011
Oxford
05/12/14 12:50 PM (10 years ago)
Another possibility is to use an In-App Purchase to remove the ads. I know it is possible, because I have seen it in Buzztouch-made apps, and there have been forum posts about it.

Login + Screen Name Required to Post

pointerLogin to participate so you can start earning points. Once you're logged in (and have a screen name entered in your profile), you can subscribe to topics, follow users, and start learning how to make apps like the pros.