Discussion Forums  >  Images, Documents, File Locations

Replies: 11    Views: 101

Tazz
Apple Fan
Reg: Oct 22, 2012
Perth
07/09/13 07:20 PM (11 years ago)

App Icon difficulty

I'm sorry for the basic question. I have changed my app icon several times and have even removed old images from BT_images in Xcode, but for some reason when I run my app on the simulators the old app icon is appearing. The new image is in buzztouch so I'm uncertain how to change this. Thanks in advance

GraciousWolf_PE
Aspiring developer
Reg: Feb 15, 2012
Montreal
07/09/13 07:52 PM (11 years ago)
Did you clean and then run your app in Xcode? If not, you could probably try to open the simulator, find your app, hold the mouse key over it so that the home screen starts shaking and the "x" appears, and then click on the top right to delete the app. After that, simply build and run the app - that might do the trick. Nicholas

Tazz
Apple Fan
Perth
07/09/13 09:14 PM (11 years ago)
Thanks Nicholas I've tried that and I'm still getting the old image. Any other suggestions?

GraciousWolf_PE
Aspiring developer
Reg: Feb 15, 2012
Montreal
07/09/13 09:18 PM (11 years ago)
No problem! Did you try just re-downloading the source code and starting from the beginning? Before you do that, you might want to look in your BT_Art folder and check your icons. Make sure they're the new version and not the old version.

Tazz
Apple Fan
Perth
07/09/13 09:39 PM (11 years ago)
I restarted the program but I havent tried re-downloading it. I'll check the BT_art folder as well. Thanks so much. Hopefully one of these will work, it seems like the easiest thing to change the image. I just assumed it would work :)

Tazz
Apple Fan
Perth
07/09/13 09:46 PM (11 years ago)
I've just found it in the art folder and removed them but its still doing it. I have no idea where its finding this old image now. I quit and reopened Xcode but it still seems to be an issue. I might have to try re-downloading. Thanks

SmugWimp
Smugger than thou...
Reg: Nov 07, 2012
Tamuning, GU
07/09/13 10:17 PM (11 years ago)
If you changed your icon 'in the control panel', then you'll need to re-download the package for that change to appear. Or you can also change it in your BT_Art directory, if you want. It's icon_57.png (and others). Easiest is to quit xcode, replace the images, and restart xcode. Also, you may need to clean your project, and delete the app from your simulator and/or device. Cheers! -- Smug

Tazz
Apple Fan
Perth
07/10/13 01:07 AM (11 years ago)
Thanks Smug, I have changed the icon in the control panel and can see the icon change in buzz touch. I deleted old images in BT_art, quit xcode and the simulator after deleting the app in the simulator and I've restarted my computer to start over. It still has this old image as the app icon when I run the app. Should I delete xcode and re-download it as Nicholas has suggested? I have no idea what else to try as the new image is displayed in Buzztouch but not when its run in the simulator. Thanks

SmugWimp
Smugger than thou...
Tamuning, GU
07/10/13 02:14 AM (11 years ago)
It sort of goes like this. You have an icon, and you'll upload it into the BT Control panel. From there, it will be packaged and resized for several devices. Those are placed in your 'download package' along with your code and other things. You'll notice it by the filename 'Icon_57.png'. But there is also 'Icon_72.png, 'Icon_114.png' and 'Icon_144.png'. While in the BT Control panel, the uploaded image was converted into 4 different files, each of your icon, each in a different size. Icon_57.png will be displayed on an iPhone 3 Icon_114.png will be displayed on Retina devices (iPhone 4/5) The other two are for iTunes icons, property sheet and bar icons, things like that. You have two options. 1) Redownload your code 2) Replace all 4 icons with new icons of appropriate size and resolution to match. Easiest: Redownload the code. Most Efficient: Replace the icons. The reason I say replacing the icons is the 'most efficient' is because those icons were created by PHP/ImageMajik (most likely). In any event, the Icon_57 looks ok, the rest look horrible, and will need to be redone anyway before distribution. Since I do that *anyway*, it's no big deal to replace them. 1) Create new icons. Name them the same as those found in the BT_Art directory. 2) Quit Xcode if it is running. 3) Copy your new icons into the BT_Art Directory, overwriting the originals. Or save the originals. Who cares. But copy the new icons into the BT_Art directory. 4) Restart Xcode. Clean your project. Delete the app from devices/simulators. 5) Re-run the code. That really should be it. Cheers! -- Smug

Tazz
Apple Fan
Perth
07/10/13 09:22 PM (11 years ago)
Thanks So I just re-downloaded xcode and the format seems completely different to what I had. I can't even see the option for the simulator. It had a new icon for build and run but nothing is coming up. What on earth is going on here?

SmugWimp
Smugger than thou...
Tamuning, GU
07/10/13 09:46 PM (11 years ago)
Different? How? Do you mean your Buzztouch app xcode package, or you downloaded a new version of Xcode from Apple? The app packages should be virtually identical, with the exception of a new icon. Not sure about the new Xcode from Apple; I wait before I try beta products usually... Cheers! -- Smug

Tazz
Apple Fan
Perth
07/11/13 01:22 AM (11 years ago)
Its the Xcode from Apple... i'll recover the old xcode and try redo my app on buzztouch from scratch. Hopefully it'll work. Thanks for all your help, I'll let you know how it turns out :)

Login + Screen Name Required to Post

pointerLogin to participate so you can start earning points. Once you're logged in (and have a screen name entered in your profile), you can subscribe to topics, follow users, and start learning how to make apps like the pros.