Discussion Forums  >  Maps, Device Location, Tracking

Replies: 6    Views: 138

HowAreYou
I hate code!
Reg: Jan 09, 2013
Orlando
02/02/13 12:27 PM (11 years ago)

Gps based dating app... easy and simple with buzztouch?

I would like to have a "simple" app that allows users who download my app to be able to "date" each other. Each user would need to have a simple boy or girl profile. And User would get notified (possibly push notification) when they are within a certain distance of another user. What are the steps for this?

Kittsy
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: Feb 22, 2012
Liverpool
02/02/13 01:05 PM (11 years ago)
That is not a simple app. If you checkout the dozens if similar apps you will see these are quite complex. You could use scringo and there location services, a few screens but the user experience will not be great. There are various tutorials that explain user locations. It certainly won't be easy to achieve. Do you have any coding experience

SmugWimp
Smugger than thou...
Reg: Nov 07, 2012
Tamuning, GU
02/02/13 02:00 PM (11 years ago)
What are the steps for this? ;) 1) Learn Buzztouch. This will be the easy part. 2) Learn PHP/MySQL or other backend technology (Not as simple as buzztouch) 3) Write your app (Depending on #2) Something like this could be done, but I don't think it's going to be as easy as you'd like it to be; you're going to have as much going on in the backend as the front. You'll need to have the app periodically tell 'some server' where the user is. That server will keep track of them, and anyone else. The 'server' would be the one to notice if one person is close to another. Therefore the server would then need to notify the user that a 'date' is close. You would need to use 'push' IF you can push to a particular device. If not, you need to figure out a way to update/notify user 'a' that user 'b' is nearby, and visa versa. Constant updating in the background might be possible, but you're using a LOT of battery, which may not be a viable solution. Not saying 'it can't be done' but I will say that it's an interesting challenge... Good Luck, and let us know how it goes! Cheers! -- Smug

nerdgirl
Lost but trying
Reg: Feb 06, 2013
Vancouver
02/06/13 06:30 PM (11 years ago)
I'm actually also interested in something like this. Still learning the basics at BT but this with a chat function ala grindr (inspired) I'm curious what the best way to compile this is without draining the users battery or giving users a bleeding headache. This thread alone has given me a few more things to think about and research thx!

HowAreYou
I hate code!
Reg: Jan 09, 2013
Orlando
02/11/13 04:01 PM (11 years ago)
@nerdgirl Hey. Yes it is some things to think about. Let me know if you come up with anything. Its soooo many possibilities!

Appforall
Aspiring developer
Reg: Jun 04, 2013
Mangalore
06/05/13 02:54 PM (11 years ago)
I am looking for something similar to integrate with my App. Anyone has a solution or is willing to help develop this for a fee.

SmugWimp
Smugger than thou...
Reg: Nov 07, 2012
Tamuning, GU
06/05/13 05:00 PM (11 years ago)
It's possible now that we have 'scringo' integration, you could somehow use the 'radar' function for this... Cheers! -- Smug

Login + Screen Name Required to Post

pointerLogin to participate so you can start earning points. Once you're logged in (and have a screen name entered in your profile), you can subscribe to topics, follow users, and start learning how to make apps like the pros.