rhedlund
Aspiring developer
Reg: Feb 01, 2012
Bentonville, AR
09/19/14 07:09 AM (9 years ago)

Issues emulating app.

I've built an app that works great for iPhone, but I'm having one heck of a time trying to get it to work with android. I tried to use eclipse, and I can get the app to run, but the home menu will not show up (and it take forever for the emulator to boot and run). When I run the app in Android Studio, I get "cannot find GCMRegistrar", and the app won't even launch. Thoughts?

GoNorthWest
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: Jun 24, 2011
Oro Valley, AZ
09/19/14 10:34 AM (9 years ago)
Hello, Eclipse can be a pain, and Android Studio even more so. I've only recently been able to get a BT app to compile in Studio, and I'm going to make a video about it probably next week. What exactly happens when "the home menu will not show up." Is it blank, does it say there's a plugin missing...? Can you provide more details? Another thing to check it whether that plugin is actually supported for both iOS and Android. Also...I'm assuming you have the Google Play Services library linked as required, and everything else is correctly in place? We're here to help, so keep the questions coming! I'm also more than happy to run your app through my Eclipse installation and see what the issues might be. You can send your download package to mrkfleming at gmail dot com. Some videos here might be helpful in getting you going as well: https://www.youtube.com/user/gonorthwest Mark

rhedlund
Aspiring developer
Reg: Feb 01, 2012
Bentonville, AR
09/20/14 04:55 PM (9 years ago)
I sent the download package to you! Thanks!

GoNorthWest
buzztouch Evangelist
Oro Valley, AZ
09/20/14 07:09 PM (9 years ago)
Replied with the following: Thanks for sending me this! In just looking at the project files, I can see what the problem is. Images should go into the res > drawable folder. They need to be named with the convention a_z0_9, which means no caps, no special characters, no spaces, etc. Many of the images you have in that folder violate that convention, so they won't load when you run the program. Try fixing that and see if it helps. I'll play around with the app a bit more and verify that it's indeed the issue. Mark

GoNorthWest
buzztouch Evangelist
Oro Valley, AZ
09/20/14 09:03 PM (9 years ago)
Just sent you an email with an APK attached. The app crashes in the emulator I was trying to use, and LogCat says it's because the emulator is missing a particular package, which is often the case with emulators. I'll give it a shot on my actual device later this evening. Mark

Login + Screen Name Required to Post

pointerLogin to participate so you can start earning points. Once you're logged in (and have a screen name entered in your profile), you can subscribe to topics, follow users, and start learning how to make apps like the pros.