miku
Aspiring developer
Reg: Feb 20, 2014
zagorje ob savi
09/15/14 10:48 PM (9 years ago)

Admob banner integration without sdk

Did anybody try to integrate Admob banner only with google-play-services? SDK is now not available, manuals are only for sdk.

CMCOFFEE
Android Fan
Reg: Jan 04, 2013
Amarillo, Texas
09/16/14 12:15 AM (9 years ago)

Dusko
Veteran developer
Reg: Oct 13, 2012
Beograd
09/16/14 04:29 AM (9 years ago)
I did, check this app: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.operamusic It has both AdMob banners and interstitials. Banners make money in this app, interstitials so far brought nothing. The banners are shown atop of Menu Image and Menu Buttons, as well as atop of anWatchList Pro, which shows YouTube playlists. I have it as plugins and I could release them as such, however, my code is only an add on to the basic code of these plugins, so I don't know whether I could sell them as such in the market.

mysps
Code is Art
Reg: May 14, 2011
Palma
09/16/14 06:52 AM (9 years ago)
Nice app Dusko! I hope it continues to do well :) I did an apps with Admob specifically with Interstitials and it has brought in zer000000 :( I'll try the banner. Do you think users are using an app to block interstitials in general Dusko?

Niraj
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: Jul 11, 2012
Cerritos
09/16/14 07:01 AM (9 years ago)
Hey there Dusko, thanks for sharing the lovely app. Since your Admob code is an add-on, perhaps you can release the plugins for free. The plugins will be good for our developers to use and also to learn how customization can be done. Alternatively, make a how-to document. Thanks! -- Niraj

mysps
Code is Art
Palma
09/16/14 07:06 AM (9 years ago)
How could he release it as free if its an add-on to current paid plugin @Niraj? That wouldn't be very fair right? Lol he never said it was simple either :) If he is making money, I wouldn't mind buying it if needed or even selling it as a mod with instructions! I've downloaded it, it looks great!

Dusko
Veteran developer
Beograd
09/16/14 07:48 AM (9 years ago)
>users are using an app to block interstitials in general I have no hard data at hand but my guess would be that they don't. 99% of users would not be even aware that such a possibility exists. In this app I am showing banners everywhere I can, but I show interstitials only every third time the user wants to listen to the playlist. That is not heavy, but then, there is no money in it either. My plugins have the following parameters: Activate Ads -- you may not show the ads at all, if that is your preference Which Ads To Show -- I put in almost all of the partners that can be downloaded from Buzztouch, however, I programmed only the AdMob part. (Speaking of which, it is difficult to put the proper code in because everybody on the Internet shows you how to use the AdMob code in an activity, but BT 3.0 is using fragments instead.) Ads Frequency - show banners all the time but with this parameter, you can choose the frequency of showing the interstitials. Test Ads On or Off -- AdMob lets you show test ads at first and it is good to do so, in order not be disqualified from the AdMob account. The advantage of Buzztouch is that I can change these parameters on the fly, from my server, the user would only have to refresh the app at one point in time. The interesting thing would be to test which ads providers do better. I'll test that later, if and when I write the code for some of the other ad providers (Adiquity, AirPush, StartApp etc.)

Dusko
Veteran developer
Beograd
09/16/14 08:08 AM (9 years ago)
>That wouldn't be very fair right? No, that is not the route to take. >Lol he never said it was simple either No, this is not simple. There are many steps involved, and one step may or may not be hard -- how to put the AdMob "button" into the existing XML file. You have to put into an existing file for Menu with Image, Menu Buttons etc. Some of these are RelativeLayout, others may be Linear or Scroll layout and so on. The nature of the problem is that it cannot be sold as pure plugin, the user still has to dabble with the app and test. >If he is making money, I just began this six days ago, and the banners brought 1.77 euros yesterday (a bit more than 2 dollars) and each day they bring a bit more. There is about 300 new installs per day and it seems many people are revisiting the app, which exposes them to more ads and makes it possible to earn more. So why am I doing it this way? Because it is passive income. The better the app that I produce, the more ads and money there will be, but the point is that I have checked -- the app earned me a few cents even as I write this. And it will continue to do so in the future. >even selling it as a mod with instructions! Or maybe write a Kindle book about it; a small Udemy course also comes to mind? We'll see. >I've downloaded it, it looks great! Thank you, I think it does. This is partly due to high quality plugins I used, there really are some gems here in the plugins section. By the way, you cannot see it in the app right now, but I have also developed an interactive way to change the colors of the fonts and rows in Menu with Image and Menu Simple. You don't like my "hysterical" blue in the main menu, well, change it to yours heart content! However, that is also an add on, so I cannot deploy it just like that! What remains to be done it to put banners when the YouTube video is playing, so give them another chance to tap on it. That is my task for today.

mysps
Code is Art
Palma
09/16/14 08:24 AM (9 years ago)
Cool, yeah I don't have problems adding any ad providers code to android apps. But any easier system than doing it manually I'll pay :) thanks for the input.

Niraj
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: Jul 11, 2012
Cerritos
09/16/14 08:31 AM (9 years ago)
My apologies, forget the free plugin idea. Silly thought in the early morning, clearly I was not thinking straight. Very nice, a how-to from Dusko is forthcoming! :-) -- Niraj

CMCOFFEE
Android Fan
Reg: Jan 04, 2013
Amarillo, Texas
09/16/14 07:28 PM (9 years ago)
cool stuff dusko. Im not sure if you have radio stations in the app, if not just search opera here: http://vtuner.com/setupapp/guide/asp/BrowseStations/startpage.asp

Higgey
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: Sep 07, 2011
West Midlands
09/17/14 02:08 AM (9 years ago)
I have found that both banners and interstitial adverts have worked well from AdMob. However, performance appears to improve over time and I have found the adverts become more suitably matched to the app as time has gone on, improving performance. Also, I have found that the adverts become more localized over time, again increasing performance. You might want to give both the types of adverts a while to improve. I only show the interstitial adverts 2 to 3 times during a user session. I have my banner ads placed at the top of screens throughout my apps. I have found Admob to be the consistently best performing ad network and I like the fact that I can control the types of adverts which are shown on my apps. I hope that helps. John

mysps
Code is Art
Palma
09/17/14 04:40 AM (9 years ago)
Great info Higgey! I can see the potential because I did add Admob to my iOS app and it is improving each day. Now I'll have to get most of my android Apps over. Thanks.

piggilypoo
Aspiring developer
Reg: Jun 28, 2011
San Diego
10/11/14 03:58 AM (9 years ago)
Dusko, could you post the code you used to get banner ads in your app? I've been trying but with no luck :( In my XML, I have: <com.google.android.gms.ads.AdView android:id="@+id/adView" android:layout_width="match_parent" android:layout_height="wrap_content" ads:adSize="SMART_BANNER" ads:adUnitId="MYIDHERE" android:layout_alignParentBottom="true" /> In my manifest, I have: <activity android:name="com.google.android.gms.ads.AdActivity" android:configChanges="keyboard|keyboardHidden|orientation|screenLayout|uiMode|screenSize|smallestScreenSize"/>

Login + Screen Name Required to Post

pointerLogin to participate so you can start earning points. Once you're logged in (and have a screen name entered in your profile), you can subscribe to topics, follow users, and start learning how to make apps like the pros.