Discussion Forums  >  Plugins, Customizing, Source Code

Replies: 7    Views: 104

kjoboyle
Aspiring developer
Reg: Dec 26, 2013
Milwaukee
09/16/14 09:35 AM (9 years ago)

iBeacon Code / Plugin / Support?

Does any have any expierence deploying an app with buzztouch that works with iBeacons? I am working with a collegeaue on making a very basic app, the only "non-basic" function...which is a huge one, is iBeacon support. A supplier of iBeacons is willing to give us his source code that he used to setup a demo with the iBeacon, is there anyway we could import that code into buzztouch to get iBeacon functionality, or is anyone out there willing to develop a Plugin that would be able to do this? Any help is much appreciated!

Dusko
Veteran developer
Reg: Oct 13, 2012
Beograd
09/16/14 02:03 PM (9 years ago)
>is there anyway we could import that code Somebody has to dig into their code and then use it in the BT code. Generally, not such an easy task. >anyone out there willing to develop a Plugin that would be able to do this There might be a few developers around, have a look the authors of plugins available in the market and try starting your hunt from there. >give us his source code If someone wanted to share this as a BT plugin, a license or permission from the author of that iBeacon source code should be obtained first.

kjoboyle
Aspiring developer
Milwaukee
09/16/14 02:08 PM (9 years ago)
Awesome responses Dusko, you are on top of it. So...to add to this, the iBeacon guy we are talking to, is now saying "if you have location services enabled in your app code, I can take it from there". I am about 99.99% sure that BuzzTouch apps have location services enabled, right? Then i am thinking I just create the basic app and send him the code and we should be ready to test...

Dusko
Veteran developer
Reg: Oct 13, 2012
Beograd
09/16/14 02:20 PM (9 years ago)
>location services enabled What exactly does he mean by "location services enabled"? In other words, what does he need in your software to be present so that he could continue development? If possible, obtain a list of prerequisites that is needed, then we here can see whether BT code contains it or not.

ATRAIN53
Code is Art
Reg: Nov 17, 2011
Chicago
09/17/14 07:13 AM (9 years ago)
I've built a few screens to work with iBeacons in Buzztouch. I'm a big fan of the RadBeacon product but I've tinkered with Gimball, Estimote and some of the TI/Arduino iBeacon offerings. I'm very interested to see what improvements iOS8 offers for iBeacons. I've found it to be very flaky with iOS7 and multiple detections/region monitoring. The big question is what do you want your app to do with the iBeacon once it is detected... Is it going to open a new screen? Launch a webpage? Display an alert? If you want to send me a PM with more info/details we can talk about a plugin, etc... Keep in mind that custom plugins really work best on Self Hosted installs. Fair warning tho, if this is something that is Packers related you may want to find a less biased developer. Or at least wait a few weeks until that first clash depending on the outcome..... I'm happy to work with any cheese, Horny Goat or New Glarus related code tho. Go Bears!

kjoboyle
Aspiring developer
Milwaukee
09/17/14 09:14 AM (9 years ago)
ATRAIN53, that is good to hear that you have some experience with it. The other thing I neglected to mention is we would like the app to work with Android geofencing through Bluetooth or WiFi too (since Android doesn't technically have iOS / iBeacon support until Android 4.3). After some google-ing around last night, we stumbled across this: http://beacondo.com/ Seems to be somewhat similar to BT, but iBeacon focused. We sent over an inquiry to them and it seems that maybe this is the way we should go.... Thoughts?? And no, it is not Packer / Bears related. No worries, the Packers will beat the Bears both games this season, so you can sleep easy on that news. ;)

ATRAIN53
Code is Art
Reg: Nov 17, 2011
Chicago
09/17/14 12:27 PM (9 years ago)
Beacondo def looks a lot more polished than BT for deploying an iBeacon app, no question. It's pretty much an app builder like BT but focused on iBeacons. Nice Find! All those features they boast are things you'd have to build and code in BT to make them do what Beacondo is showing. So unless there is something about the BT model you like better, I'd give that Beacondo basic account a spin and see if it fits your need. I'd have to know more about the app and what it's function is to elaborate better. For Android - Geofencing and iBeacons are very different. Geofencing works with GPS and with larger geographic areas and iBeacons are meant to work in close proximity. You may want to look into Near Field Communication (NFC) for the Android platform also. I really haven't played with iBbeacons, Geofencing or NFC on this platform much, if at all. and we'll see in a few weeks...we're not making any playoffs nor should we unless we can knock you guys off! Just one missed Peppers tackle from a sweep last year :)

kjoboyle
Aspiring developer
Milwaukee
09/17/14 01:32 PM (9 years ago)
Atrain...again, great feedback and thanks for solidifying my thought to go with Beacondo on this one. And was it a missed Peppers tackle, or an athletic Rodgers move and throw to a wide open Cobb? :) Just Checking.

Login + Screen Name Required to Post

pointerLogin to participate so you can start earning points. Once you're logged in (and have a screen name entered in your profile), you can subscribe to topics, follow users, and start learning how to make apps like the pros.