Discussion Forums  >  Plugins, Customizing, Source Code

Replies: 5    Views: 112

juk
Aspiring developer
Reg: Feb 16, 2014
York, UK
09/05/14 10:14 AM (9 years ago)

Simple information screen driven by Data URL?

Hi everyone. I've been using Buzztouch now and it's enabled me to recently release an actual App Store app! Thanks to this community for helping out. Even though I've got that far, there's a particular gap in my knowledge which seems really simple. I often feel the need to display a really basic screen of textual information (e.g. a short hotel review). It feels like this should be possible natively rather than by using one of the HTML options. Ideally it would pull the content from a Data URL, have formatting options like the Menu Simple, and work on iOS and Android. Have I missed something? Is this an easy plugin idea for someone? Or should I just shut up and use an HTML screen? Thank you.

SmugWimp
Smugger than thou...
Reg: Nov 07, 2012
Tamuning, GU
09/05/14 11:09 AM (9 years ago)
Well, you can do almost anything you want to, really. What you're asking is often done, and with a little php can easily be accomodated to whatever you want. To get the most out of it, you can use a MySQL/PHP Driven solution. Susan created a rather nice one, that I've adopted for a variety of uses: https://www.buzztouch.com/forum/thread.php?tid=DD7AB5D535F2631073ED32C&fid=06DB0BCB08E6666 And if you're not self hosted, you could still keep content in various 'free' hosting solutions, although It's not something I would recommend. If you're looking for a plugin to do a lot of the heavy lifting for you, I think Chris1 and Angry Ninja both have products that might meet your needs. Check out the plugin market, and see what they've got on the shelf. Cheers! -- Smug

Nicks App
Code is Art
Reg: May 21, 2014
Las Vegas
09/05/14 11:56 AM (9 years ago)
I use Menu Simple to create a tappable link to such a message file. I also have created a message as .png, and displayed it as the background image. Nothing quite as long as a "review". More like "Use your Main Menu to Refresh All Data". In your App, you could use a dataurl like MyDomain.com/ROTD.html (or .txt) for your review text. You create ROTD.html (or .txt) with your first review. Then, on your own schedule, you update ROTD.html to be that Review Of The Day. Doesn't mean you need to update it every day, once a day, once a week... just when you want. Your App reads that dataurl every time, no matter. The file is always sitting there, waiting to be displayed to the App user. The way I operate, every time I update a file like that, I first save the existing version with a date, like ROTD20140905.html or .txt etc. or ROTDBritianiaNottingham.html etc. I never like to throw things away. No one listened to Bill Gates when he suggested no one needed a filename greater than 8 characters, so have a go at it!

juk
Aspiring developer
Reg: Feb 16, 2014
York, UK
09/05/14 03:37 PM (9 years ago)
Thanks guys. I probably didn't explain myself as well as I should have done - it was really a question of whether there is any kind of plugin that will simply display some information on the screen with some basic formatting options and content read from a data URL (I'm familiar with the php end of things if so, it's just the app screen itself I'm struggling with). I often scan the plugin market but I've not really seen anything that seems to fit the bill. As a simple example, I currently have a php file which returns the user's status in JSON format, saying something as basic as "Unlucky, you are too far away on this occasion. Please try again next time". I'd like to just display that as a paragraph of text on a screen. Maybe I should just display it as HTML using the Custom URL plugin.....but it just feels like there's a gap in not having a basic native content plugin available?

Nicks App
Code is Art
Reg: May 21, 2014
Las Vegas
09/05/14 03:42 PM (9 years ago)
I have a couple of Apps (not that I wrote) that put up what in html we would call a "Modal" screen - text in a box, over the main page, with a color background outside of the box itself sort of masking the main page. But I have not found that here.

Niraj
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: Jul 11, 2012
Cerritos
09/07/14 10:22 PM (9 years ago)
You could return a JSON response from your PHP that is then displayed by: 1. Alert plugin, which allows for a Title and Description 2. Cubbyholes plugin with the Headline and Description 3. HTML plugin 4. Simple Menu plugin -- Niraj

Login + Screen Name Required to Post

pointerLogin to participate so you can start earning points. Once you're logged in (and have a screen name entered in your profile), you can subscribe to topics, follow users, and start learning how to make apps like the pros.