Discussion Forums  >  Plugins, Customizing, Source Code

Replies: 9    Views: 63

Jlentriken
Aspiring developer
Reg: Dec 26, 2012
Palm Beach, Gol...
09/06/14 08:00 AM (9 years ago)

Custom messaging app

This is difficult to explain without going into great detail about the app idea, but i will do my best to explain what I'm asking. Is it possible (I'm sure it is, i mean is it plausible) to accomplish the following in an app. It is a chatting app...of sorts... For each 'conversation' i need a way to set it up so that there are only two participants. On one device i want the user to be able to type in a message and when they hit done on the keyboard, the message is saved and then at the same time sent to the other device registered for that conversation. Then the recipient can't delete the message, but they add on to it and when they press done the whole file is resent to the first device. I want the whole chat to look like its on a notepad, with the only differentiation being a different text color per user. Is this possible? I will be getting and using the storyboard plugin for the app so i have the freedom of Xcode plus the features of buzztouch. Cheers, Jeremy

Dusko
Veteran developer
Reg: Oct 13, 2012
Beograd
09/06/14 09:16 AM (9 years ago)
>Is this possible? Of course it is possible, with coding / programming.

Jlentriken
Aspiring developer
Palm Beach, Gol...
09/06/14 09:19 AM (9 years ago)
I know its possible, I'm interested in knowing if its plausible and how difficult it would be. Along with any advice on how to go about it. Cheers, Jeremy

Dusko
Veteran developer
Beograd
09/06/14 11:52 AM (9 years ago)
>how difficult it would be It really depends on where you are now. If you just found out about app making with Buzztouch, and using only what this or that plugin offers you, that is one thing. Quite another thing would be if you were a seasoned Objective C programmer asking how to implement this or that with Buzztouch. You would probably need a server to exchange the messages with. Which usually means coding in PHP, so once again, where are you in respect to coding in PHP? And so on... If you cared to explain what kind of experience with programming you already had, it would be easier to advise you.

Jlentriken
Aspiring developer
Palm Beach, Gol...
09/06/14 12:20 PM (9 years ago)
Ive been a paid member here for two years, and a free member for probably 6 months prior, so i think that with regards to buzztouch i am cottoning on fairly adequately. Objective C i am still chugging through learning, i know little snd try to learn from as many tutorials as i can. And with php pretty much zero knowledge there. Last time i touched it myself would have been almost 5 years ago or when i graduated high school. So i would probably be relying in similar projects, code snippets etc, to figure out how to piece it all together. Hope that helps, Jeremy

Dusko
Veteran developer
Beograd
09/06/14 02:17 PM (9 years ago)
OK then. The problem is that what you want almost certainly requires an intermediate computer between the two mobile devices that should hold the conversation together. The majority of this app, as you described it, is on the server, while the mobile devices communicate to the server and not directly. So without a thorough knowledge of server side programming, this would be very difficult to pull off. David Book once devoted an entire session to this type of problem, however, I have never seen that particular video. You may want to ask Susan about it, since usually she is the moderator of such calls.

chris1
Code is Art
Reg: Aug 10, 2012
Austin, TX
09/06/14 04:03 PM (9 years ago)
The challenge is the connection. Most chat apps are super quick - almost instantaneous. Users expect this. They even expect to see "..." When the other person is typing. As if that's just standard functionality. To achieve that, you can't rely on a standard internet connection (http). It takes too long to send a request and receive a response. Plus what to do with the data in the meantime? You can't http to another phone, so you'd be storing everything in a database or a file on the server. That's why most chat clients skip http and go to a more persistent connection between the two devices. The de facto standard is xmpp/jabber, although there are others. Companies like Facebook probay have developed their own protocol. To use in an app you need to really know what you are doing and probably be looking for a third party open-source implementation of the protocol for objective-c.

Susan Metoxen
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: May 01, 2011
Hopkins, Minnes...
09/06/14 10:23 PM (9 years ago)
Google docs are amazing at this. I wonder if you could use one in a webview?

Jlentriken
Aspiring developer
Palm Beach, Gol...
09/07/14 12:55 AM (9 years ago)
Dusko - Thanks for the advice, i figured it would be a large challenge. I will see if i can maybe take a look at that video and see if it helps me out. Chris - I know that users ordinarily want instantaneous communication, read receipts, the '...' when typing, etc, but for this app none of that would be needed, even a minute or so of delay wouldn't be a problem at all. I think i saw an open source messaging app - jabber rings a bell - but i need it all laid out as if the whole conversation is being written in a notebook thats being passed back and forth, not in the traditional speech bubbles per message. You've said a lot to think about so i will keep looking and playing and see what comes up. Susan - I will definitely look into that, i will have to work out how to make that work how i want it to. Thanks for all the input, i have a lot of reading, watching and hunting to do now. Cheers, Jeremy Edit: Did i really just call the message speech bubbles 'traditional'? lol.

Niraj
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: Jul 11, 2012
Cerritos
09/07/14 07:38 AM (9 years ago)

Login + Screen Name Required to Post

pointerLogin to participate so you can start earning points. Once you're logged in (and have a screen name entered in your profile), you can subscribe to topics, follow users, and start learning how to make apps like the pros.