richardemery839
Aspiring developer
Reg: May 15, 2013
Bangkok
09/03/14 11:10 PM (9 years ago)

The lovely Eclipse download not working correctly - again.

Anyone know who I can contact at Google. I have been at this for days now. If you go to the google sdk site and try to download Eclipse Juno the toolbar is not working (missing most icons) and you can't access the SDK. So I opened a separate SDK and have been downloading all morning but only one version of android has linked to Eclipse - version 4.4. I noticed last week that the google play services lib was not where it was supposed to be but added it anyway. I only found out late last night that is was not linking to anything which is why my map I was trying to open would not work. Or..... is there somewhere else I can get the package from? I tried a couple of Chinese and Korean sites over the weekend and got nowhere.

GoNorthWest
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: Jun 24, 2011
Oro Valley, AZ
09/04/14 12:22 AM (9 years ago)
Looks like Google has switched things up again! Best package to get is the Eclipse ADT Bundle : https://developer.android.com/sdk/index.html It includes everything you need to get going. I also have some videos on my YouTube channel that show you how to set it all up: https://developer.android.com/sdk/index.html Hopefully this helps a bit! I'd stay away from any downloads that aren't from the official Google site. Mark

richardemery839
Aspiring developer
Bangkok
09/04/14 01:03 AM (9 years ago)
Hey Mark Actual I watched your video nearly every time I have downloaded that package (at least 6 times) and yes Google (or someone on their behalf) have changed things. It was that package that I downloaded this morning, again, and it was the same package I downloaded last week. Only now the toolbar is ruined and you can't open a SDK which is why I went back to their site and got the separate SDK only to have it not link i.e. not add the downloads to Eclipse. And last weeks Google play services lib was, as I said, in the wrong place and not connecting. Without this I, and everyone else who needs to move forward, is stuck. Richard

richardemery839
Aspiring developer
Bangkok
09/04/14 02:01 AM (9 years ago)
Maybe I did something to the toolbar, clicked on something by accident - I thought it was working ok but not anymore.

GoNorthWest
buzztouch Evangelist
Oro Valley, AZ
09/04/14 07:25 AM (9 years ago)
Hi Richard, I'll download it today and see what happens when I do an install. Thanks, Mark

GoNorthWest
buzztouch Evangelist
Oro Valley, AZ
09/04/14 09:03 AM (9 years ago)
Hi Richard, I just did a download of the latest build, and it all looks good. I was able to find the Google Play Services in the following location after I downloaded it using the SDK Manager: C:\Eclipse\sdk\extras\google\google_play_services\libproject This is the build I installed : adt-bundle-windows-x86_64-20140702 Toolbars and everything are exactly where I figured they'd be! Mark

Susan Metoxen
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: May 01, 2011
Hopkins, Minnes...
09/04/14 10:35 PM (9 years ago)
Thank goodness you have this all documented, Mark!

richardemery839
Aspiring developer
Bangkok
09/04/14 11:15 PM (9 years ago)
Hi Mark Thanks for your time on this. That is the version I downloaded yesterday. But when I double click on it the folder dates it to a previous version I must have had on the 2nd of July 14. When I open the folder and click on the Eclipse icon I get the one with reduced toolbar and no ability to open the SDK manager either from the the toolbar button or the window drop down. Before I downloaded it I deleted everything I had referencing Eclipse so I have no idea why the expanded folder opens at 2nd July. Surely it should be yesterdays date? All I can think to do next is to try again and delete any folders and apps (luckily I don't have any that need saving at this point) and try to download again. What do you think? Richard

GoNorthWest
buzztouch Evangelist
Oro Valley, AZ
09/04/14 11:26 PM (9 years ago)
Yep, I would delete everything that was installed previously. When you double-click on the folder, it's supposed to extract all the files...not install anything in the typical way a program is installed on Windows. Then you can move the files to anywhere you'd like. Can you provide an example of what a "reduced toolbar" looks like? Mark

richardemery839
Aspiring developer
Bangkok
09/05/14 01:23 AM (9 years ago)
Hi Mark Sorry for the delay but I have gone through everything I could think of and deleted everything to do with eclipse. I then clicked your link and downloaded the file. On expansion it, again, dated the folder 2nd July. I renamed and moved to applications and on opening Eclipse got the same version I have been getting for day. Here are the two dropbox links showing what I get when it opens and when I try to find the SDK in Window. https://www.dropbox.com/s/l8ugkqd5xtelii0/eclipse1.jpg?dl=0 https://www.dropbox.com/s/077ufhdboz5ue9n/eclipse2.jpg?dl=0 Thanks again for your time on this. Richard

richardemery839
Aspiring developer
Bangkok
09/05/14 02:00 AM (9 years ago)

richardemery839
Aspiring developer
Bangkok
09/06/14 12:02 AM (9 years ago)
Hi Mark Looks like it's a problem with my Mac. I downloaded the Eclipse package on to another one this morning and yet again on expansion it was dated 2nd July 2014 but when I opened the Eclipse program it worked how it is supposed to. After downloading everything I got google play services lib to work and connect as well. Thanks again for your time. Richard

GoNorthWest
buzztouch Evangelist
Oro Valley, AZ
09/06/14 11:00 AM (9 years ago)
Glad you got it worked out! Way to hang in there! Mark

Login + Screen Name Required to Post

pointerLogin to participate so you can start earning points. Once you're logged in (and have a screen name entered in your profile), you can subscribe to topics, follow users, and start learning how to make apps like the pros.