richardemery839
Aspiring developer
Reg: May 15, 2013
Bangkok
08/27/14 03:44 AM (10 years ago)

New Icons not working

I have added two new items to my app "Hinan" Spa & Massage and Nightlife. For the first time the icons I have added are not showing in the live app. They are in the simulator but not on mine, or friends, iPhones. I have copied and pasted the configuration data - which did not have the two necessary entries (even though the simulator worked) - but still I can't seem to get them to link. They are the right size and format - any suggestions?

SmugWimp
Smugger than thou...
Reg: Nov 07, 2012
Tamuning, GU
08/27/14 05:26 AM (10 years ago)
Is this in development, or is this a release? If it's a dev thing, clean your project. Cheers! -- Smug

richardemery839
Aspiring developer
Bangkok
08/27/14 06:35 AM (10 years ago)
Hi Smug. I was just trying to update the app. It turns out that changes done on Buzztouch, with Xcode open, automatically change the app globally. This worked fine a couple of weeks ago (I have been on holiday) but today's updates just won't upload or at least the icons and two images won't. I continually clean the project after even minor changes and I replaced the BTconfig twice when that did not update from the control panel. The two icons and images are new but they are the right size and the pathway seems ok. Richard

richardemery839
Aspiring developer
Bangkok
08/27/14 10:03 PM (10 years ago)
The changes are fine in the simulator in development mode. PDF's change globally but the icons and new menu pics won't. If I replace the new icons/pics with old ones they show up globally. I have not archived any of the new changes and uploaded them to the app store - should I do this?

SmugWimp
Smugger than thou...
Tamuning, GU
08/27/14 10:56 PM (10 years ago)
I'm a little confused. 1) Is this an app that is already released, and you're trying to update it 'dynamically' through the control panel? 2) Or is it an app that is already released, and you are creating an updated binary to replace it via the app store process? If it's #1, then you need to make the resources available on the internet, and use a URL to have the app download the resource into the app cache. If it's #2, then if a good clean doesn't help (on the device) delete the app from the device and try again. Cheers! -- Smug

richardemery839
Aspiring developer
Bangkok
08/28/14 12:13 AM (10 years ago)
The app is already released. I didn't realize (and I may be wrong) but adding two new menu items would be considered a binary update I guess. Having made the changes and knowing that they worked on the simulator I tested the new "changed" app on a device, instead of the simulator, and it wanted key authorization. I did this and the menu changes appeared on the device. So I have uploaded the new binary - they seem like minor changes to me but as this is my first app I am still a bit in the dark. It seems odd to me that I can make local changes to PDF's that appear globally but not menu changes.

SmugWimp
Smugger than thou...
Tamuning, GU
08/28/14 12:36 AM (10 years ago)
Well, you shouldn't have to update the binary to add menu items; those can be done via the BT Control panel. However, since the app is already released, if you want to show 'new' icons, you'll have to put the icons (or whatever resource) on the internet, and link it via URL. Same with whatever screen the menu choice is pointing to, and the plugin needs to already be inside your app. If you're changing PDF files locally, and the changes are reflected in your app, I suspect you might be using a service such as 'Dropbox' as the dataURL for your app. Be careful about that; if your app gets too popular, and the 'traffic' reaches a good number, dropbox will shut it off without much notice. Cheers! -- Smug

richardemery839
Aspiring developer
Bangkok
08/28/14 02:47 AM (10 years ago)
That is what I thought. The menu items were created but no amount of cleaning and refreshing of app on iPhone and Xcode would get the icons and menu images to work. That is why i plugged the iPhone in instead of just using the simulator. I don't use dropbox btw. I just link the PDF's via Buzztouch file manager. Works fine. That was Susan's suggestion a while back. Once they are on device they stay in the cache.

richardemery839
Aspiring developer
Bangkok
08/28/14 08:44 PM (10 years ago)
It didn't work!! Apple approved the changes then uploaded the original app to the app store. So not only did the changes I have made along the way not show up but new icons and images have not been loaded either. This is so frustrating.

SmugWimp
Smugger than thou...
Tamuning, GU
08/28/14 10:28 PM (10 years ago)
Are you linking the 'new' icons via URL? Does the 'current' BT_Config.txt file reflect those URLs? Cheers! -- Smug

richardemery839
Aspiring developer
Bangkok
08/29/14 12:46 AM (10 years ago)
Hi Smug I had not because it was causing a time lag (I tried it the other day). But in the interest of making everything at least work I have just linked by URL. Unfortunately, as I thought, there is a considerable time lag. Whilst all the links open almost instantly with the other menu items. Spa link now takes around 8 seconds and the nightlife up to 13 seconds. I am not happy with that but hey, at least it looks good. Richard

Login + Screen Name Required to Post

pointerLogin to participate so you can start earning points. Once you're logged in (and have a screen name entered in your profile), you can subscribe to topics, follow users, and start learning how to make apps like the pros.