Discussion Forums  >  Plugins, Customizing, Source Code

Replies: 2    Views: 42

Janeen
Aspiring developer
Reg: Jun 11, 2013
Southern Califo...
08/23/14 01:53 PM (10 years ago)

Confirmation on using url for data

Hello all, Here's my situation: iOS, Interactive Quiz, testing on personal devices I noticed that unlike the Advanced Quiz, the basic Interactive Quiz doesn't allow you to point to a text file with the questions in JSON format within the app. You are only able to type the questions into the control panel, or point to a URL. Here's what's happening in my Interactive Quiz that is puzzling me. 1. I build/run on my tethered iPod touch and iPad with wifi OFF on both devices 2. I disconnect, then test the quiz 3. The quiz data fails because the device can't get to the URL with wifi OFF 4. I turn on wifi, the quiz data displays as expected 5. I turn OFF wifi…..THE QUIZ DATA DISPLAYS (didn't expect this) Question: If you point to a data URL, are ALL the questions downloaded and stored on your app for future use when there is no wifi? (or is something else going on in my test to make it seem this way) Is it like this for all data stored at a URL? (docs, pdfs, etc) Thanks, Janeen

SmugWimp
Smugger than thou...
Reg: Nov 07, 2012
Tamuning, GU
08/23/14 02:35 PM (10 years ago)
Hey Janeen, Stobe has instructions on using a local file with the basic quiz. it does require a little editing of your class file, but the instructions are good: http://idevdepot.com/update-load-local-data-in-a-quiz-for-bt2-0/ That said, when you use a dataURL for a quiz, all of the json for *that* quiz is downloaded and kept into cache, whether it's 10 questions or 100. But if you have more than one quiz, you'll need more than one dataURL. Hope this helps! Cheers! -- Smug

Janeen
Aspiring developer
Reg: Jun 11, 2013
Southern Califo...
08/24/14 10:57 PM (10 years ago)
Hi Smug, Thanks for the clarification on what goes on when the app initially requests the data stored elsewhere, in my case Dropbox. It clears things up for me! Also, thanks for the link to Stobe's instructions. I'm constantly in awe of the amount of information created to help each other along. You guys are great! Janeen

Login + Screen Name Required to Post

pointerLogin to participate so you can start earning points. Once you're logged in (and have a screen name entered in your profile), you can subscribe to topics, follow users, and start learning how to make apps like the pros.