Discussion Forums  >  Plugins, Customizing, Source Code

Replies: 12    Views: 105

AlanMac
Aspiring developer
Reg: Mar 05, 2012
Esher, UK
08/13/14 01:50 AM (10 years ago)

Policing Plugins

I spotted a post about reviewing and housekeeping the How To's earlier, which sounds like a good idea. Are there any plans to do a similar review of plug-ins in the market? I have a feeling that there are a couple that are for sale that are not being actively supported. Thoughts anyone?

Kittsy
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: Feb 22, 2012
Liverpool
08/13/14 05:09 AM (10 years ago)
Hey, I make my pocket money fixing and ammending other peoples plugins. lol

Kaybee
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: Sep 22, 2012
Perth, Australi...
08/13/14 05:11 AM (10 years ago)
I agree, If the plugin seller is not active on the forum and able to respond in a timely manner, there should be at least a warning when buying the plugin, if not removed from market altogether. Kristen

Angry Ninja
Aspiring developer
Reg: Aug 25, 2013
Maine
08/13/14 08:49 AM (10 years ago)
I completely agree. I have spent money on plugins that just flat out don't work anymore, such as easy in app purchases, and a few others. It's one thing to download a free plugin to find that it no longer works, but really bad when you pay money for it, download it, and find out that it hasn't worked since BT 2.19 :( I think each plugin should have check boxes when they are submitted for "tested on iOS 6, iOS 7, iOS 8", etc. And the same for the BT version... "tested on BT 2.19, BT 3.0, etc".

sarahk
Code is Art
Reg: Jul 16, 2014
Auckland
08/13/14 03:17 PM (10 years ago)
and a "working for me" flag like they have over with WordPress plugins.

LeonG
Apple Fan
Reg: Nov 08, 2011
Hamburg
08/13/14 04:49 PM (10 years ago)
Good Idea Ninja!

TatorTot
Aspiring developer
Reg: Jun 25, 2013
Iowa
08/13/14 04:49 PM (10 years ago)
Like these ideas. Kitts you just get extra beer not pocket change lol

Susan Metoxen
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: May 01, 2011
Hopkins, Minnes...
08/13/14 10:44 PM (10 years ago)
If you have a bad experience with a plugin, make sure you put in a review. I just took a look at the market, and the plugins with one star have only one review. If you can't reach a developer, don't hesitate to send me a PM. Take a minute to put in a positive review for the plugins you are using. Positive reviews help users know what to buy.

AlanMac
Aspiring developer
Esher, UK
08/14/14 04:55 AM (10 years ago)
I believe there is a problem. I don't understand if there are policies around the selling and supporting of plugins. If there are policies, maybe they should be made clearer to plugin buyers? Here are two scenarios 1) If a plug-in doesn't work with the current version of Buzztouch as @Angry Ninja says, what are the options. Should it be for sale? Should there be refunds? 2) If the developer is non-responsive to problems, it may be because they are not be around or not using Buzztouch any more - after all, people come and go. What should happen then? Maybe downgrade the plugin to free until fixed (probably by Kittsy?) or give ownership of the plugin to somebody else? I want to stress that I am deliberately avoiding any specifics. Some of my observations are based on my own experiences, some are based on what others mention in the Forums, I just wanted to get a feel of what others think. I'm not convinced reviewing plugins works very well. Leaving a negative review is not helpful if the plugin is subsequently fixed, it gives a false impression. Most people only write positive reviews, often one-liners such as 'great plugin', which in my mind is an endorsement, not a review.

Susan Metoxen
buzztouch Evangelist
Hopkins, Minnes...
08/14/14 07:04 AM (10 years ago)
Send me the specifics and I will check into the plugin. Write a review before you send the specifics to me. We used to have a managed plugin market, and that was too much work and plugins were added too slowly. So we now have an open plugin market that relies on positive and negative reviews. Believe me, this is much better. We do have "policies"...see the how-to page. If plugins are abandoned we will remove them.

AlanMac
Aspiring developer
Esher, UK
08/14/14 07:43 AM (10 years ago)
Hi Susan and thanks for chiming in. I agree the old system had bottlenecks and these have been avoided now, but that isn't to say that the current system can't be looked at. I checked out the howto page and whilst I may have missed it, I see nothing that covers the two scenario's I mentioned. To be clear, I think the policy would be more commercial than a howto. I could trawl the forums and find examples of people having issues with plugins where the owner does not contribute and to be fair, these are heavily outnumbered by the good guys who develop plugins and are either so good you don't see many problems or very responsive and fix things. Its the small (but not insignificant) numbers of negative experiences that make me think some kind of policing is needed.

Susan Metoxen
buzztouch Evangelist
Hopkins, Minnes...
08/14/14 07:58 AM (10 years ago)
I will police the plugin market, but based on plugins referred to me. Just send me an email or PM. We are a small company that relies on community involvement to keep the membership price as low as possible. There aren't resources to assign someone to go through the plugins proactively. If you have had a bad experience or a good experience, be sure to write a review. Many users do not follow the forum, but they will read the reviews before purchasing. Avoid overly negative comments (I.e this plugin is crap!) but state the facts. If you had to pay Kittsy to fix it for you, state that. If you contacted the developer without a response, state that. If the developer tried to fix it for you but failed, state that. If the developer was able to help you to get it to work in your project, then be sure to share that as well.

AlanMac
Aspiring developer
Esher, UK
08/14/14 09:03 AM (10 years ago)
No problems Susan, I understand the constraints, part of my thinking was with an eye on the upcoming release. I'll send you PM's with what I know when I have a spare moment and I hope others will do the same. It will help quantify the issue. On the reviews, as far as I can tell, there is no way to update an existing review or write a second one to update the first. I would want to update any negative review if a positive outcome happened or an update fixed something, if I could. On the commercials, please give some thought to what sort of redress a buyer might have if they are unhappy with a purchase. Thanks, Alan

Login + Screen Name Required to Post

pointerLogin to participate so you can start earning points. Once you're logged in (and have a screen name entered in your profile), you can subscribe to topics, follow users, and start learning how to make apps like the pros.