Mike the App Guy
Lost but trying
Reg: Sep 19, 2011
Birmingham, Ala...
08/15/14 08:13 AM (10 years ago)

Xcode does not recognize iPhone - I have to run iPhone configuration utility every time!

Every time I hook my iPhone 5 to my Mac using the usb cable, Xcode does not initially recognize the device. It usually says "iOS device" in the active scheme menu, when it should say "Michael's iPhone". In the organizer, it's sometimes there, and sometimes it says iOS device, sometimes it says null. After a google search, I found a workaround, but it's a pain to do every time. I have to run iPhone configuration utility every time I synch my iPhone with Xcode. Once I run iPhone configuration utility, it recognizes the iPhone right away, and I can test apps on my iPhone with no problem. What could I be doing wrong, and is there any way to fix this so I don't have to do this every time???

AlanMac
Aspiring developer
Reg: Mar 05, 2012
Esher, UK
08/15/14 02:10 PM (10 years ago)
It happens to me too. It could be a dodgy cable that provokes it, I usually find closing down xcode completely then restarting fixes it. Worst case, I power cycle.

Mike the App Guy
Lost but trying
Reg: Sep 19, 2011
Birmingham, Ala...
08/15/14 02:20 PM (10 years ago)
That's EXACTLY what it was! I was using an "after market" lightning cable, and when I tried my OEM Apple cable, no problem! Good catch!

AlanMac
Aspiring developer
Reg: Mar 05, 2012
Esher, UK
08/16/14 04:48 AM (10 years ago)
Nice, glad it was the same issue.

Login + Screen Name Required to Post

pointerLogin to participate so you can start earning points. Once you're logged in (and have a screen name entered in your profile), you can subscribe to topics, follow users, and start learning how to make apps like the pros.