Discussion Forums  >  Plugins, Customizing, Source Code

Replies: 24    Views: 96

TatorTot
Aspiring developer
Reg: Jun 25, 2013
Iowa
08/14/14 06:16 AM (10 years ago)

Plugins Suggestions..?

Alright back at it dabbled in a few solo apps outside of BT just to see what that was like aka nightmare city. Well have some work for a group that is interested in making a subscription based newsletter. Talking with Danny to pull feed from Wordpress since I bought his awesome plugin +support a while ago and never used it lol. Anyway staying on topic, It is going to be for both iOS and android. What I'm wanting to do for them is after someone subscribes I want to be able to create a login credential for them in order to view the content (wordpress feed). Now is there a good login plugin for both iOS and android that you guys would suggest, that I can set the log in info and send to them to use?

TatorTot
Aspiring developer
Iowa
08/14/14 06:01 PM (10 years ago)
Guess maybe my post was a bit confusing. Would the Login Screen plugin allow me to control and add new users as time went on? (via control panel)

Dusko
Veteran developer
Reg: Oct 13, 2012
Beograd
08/15/14 12:11 AM (10 years ago)
The Login Screen plugin that comes as a part of core BT software will enable you to enter the data on the mobile device and will record that into a database within BT framework on the server. So far so good. However, entering the data is one thing and doing something with them later is quite another thing. Since the data are on the server, you have to come up with a PHP script to read them, validate them, delete them, ban them etc. which are all the usual operations on a database. BT will not do all of that for you right out of the box. The way it works now, BT expects someone to enter the App Users section in control panel, and set up the display name, email address and password for the prospective user. If the clients already have these data, you will need a PHP script to transfer those data to the BT database. The main problem here is synchronization across various databases. If you want the mobile user to define their own email and password, that will require writing a special Registration plugin, one for Android and the other for iOS. There may be different scenarios here. In one scenario, the salesmen registers the user on the spot and from that moment on, the user can enter the credentials and get the newsletter. In another scenario, the user registers themselves on their own through the Registration plugin. The server returns a confirmation email, the user taps on the link in it and the registration is finished. Producing a newsletter requires a special PHP script, which may or may not be available for your platform. As I understand it, that script should read the data from the datafeed from a blog, and send them to the users. This is far from trivial and there are not that many open source and free PHP scripts that could do that out of the box. In all cases, you will have to provide a solid user interface. The clients need their own page to enter the news and the letters to send out. Usually, clients will have their own ideas of what goes where, which again begs for more custom programming on the server. If they want to have an autoresponder as well, that may or may not come as a part of the newsletter solution in PHP that you might have. The whole thing is a can of worms, but is well worth the effort. Future money lies in the perpetual contact with prospects, with the intention of turning them into customers once they learn more about you and your business.

TatorTot
Aspiring developer
Iowa
08/15/14 06:27 AM (10 years ago)
Dusko amazing reply. I think there may have been some confusing along the way on my part. The feed will be utilizing the Blog Pro plugin along with bt-addons Wordpress Script to power it (Danny and I had tried working on one of my successful wordpress powered sites but couldnt get his script to properly work since it was a custom video postings page) . For one simple reason the majority of those that will be contributing already do online journalism so it is much easier for them to continue with what they are familiar with. The authors of the "newsletter" will have access to that Wordpress powered blog site to post. Users will be purchasing a subscription off my clients website where they after the purchase will define their email address and password they want for log in credentials. The client will not have any of these already since this will be a standalone purchase option. So beings I will have credentials (email, password) provided will I be able to utilize the built in Login Screen along with adding those new "users"/"subscribers" and having the bt control panel power that list? Edit: forgot blog pro is just for iOS, is there a good suggestion for an android RSS that I can input the feed from the site?

Dusko
Veteran developer
Beograd
08/15/14 08:02 AM (10 years ago)
Where are the buyer's data after the purchase is done? In order to use what BT has in the way of managing users, the buyer's data (email addresses and passwords) need somehow to be available in option App Users of the app on BT control panel. How will those data be entered into the BT panel? Once you resolve that, BT panel will let the users read the protected data from the Login Screen. >android RSS plugin I have no idea. There is one such plugin on the market but you will have to evaluate whether is it good enough for your purposes.

TatorTot
Aspiring developer
Iowa
08/15/14 08:17 AM (10 years ago)
Hmm.. maybe I was thinking it to be simpler in my mind (go figure lol) Here are what the essential steps would be--- 1) New user purchases subscription on client's website where they fill out what their email address is and password of choice. They will have a notice of a 24 hour wait period before their account becomes active. 2) Client sends me the new users credentials that they received 3) I would manually add in those new users with the provided credentials into the "Add users to this list to enable the login-protection features availalbe on any screen or feature in the mobile app" option on the apps control panel.

TatorTot
Aspiring developer
Iowa
08/15/14 08:18 AM (10 years ago)
They aren't going through the app in order to purchase the subscription they are having to do that online on my clients website. My client is in charge of collecting and providing all the login credentials so I can manually put them into the bt control panel option for the app

Dusko
Veteran developer
Beograd
08/15/14 08:31 AM (10 years ago)
>I can manually put them into the bt control panel option for the app This solves it, then.

TatorTot
Aspiring developer
Iowa
08/15/14 08:32 AM (10 years ago)
Perfecto now going to just figure out a good old android rss to pull in from the site and I'll be rockin in notime and by no time I mean no time before I get on here with another 100 questions lol

LA
Aspiring developer
Reg: Aug 16, 2012
Jerseyville, IL
08/15/14 08:41 AM (10 years ago)
@TatorTot, When you figure it out, please let me know. I have a wp site that would love to do something like what you are doing. LA

TatorTot
Aspiring developer
Iowa
08/15/14 08:59 AM (10 years ago)
Will do LA you going for iOS or android?

LA
Aspiring developer
Jerseyville, IL
08/15/14 09:11 AM (10 years ago)
Both lol LA

TatorTot
Aspiring developer
Iowa
08/15/14 09:12 AM (10 years ago)
Will do LA you going for iOS or android?

TatorTot
Aspiring developer
Iowa
08/15/14 09:13 AM (10 years ago)
Worry dang refresh! Okay will let you know for sure!

LA
Aspiring developer
Jerseyville, IL
08/15/14 09:15 AM (10 years ago)
You rock! LA

chris1
Code is Art
Reg: Aug 10, 2012
Austin, TX
08/15/14 04:03 PM (10 years ago)
There's several login plugins on the market. I like my Beautiful Plugin for something like what you're thinking. Or, you can get sophisticated and use my easy forms plugin or ultimate screen creator and create a username and password field and point it to a php script that can process the logins straight from Wordpress. Then you don't have to worry about manually entering accounts and the security risks that come with manually handling people's passwords. (I know I wouldn't sign up and pay for something if I knew someone was manually copying my password)

TatorTot
Aspiring developer
Iowa
08/15/14 04:54 PM (10 years ago)
Fully understand what you're getting at Chris but for now it is really easier this way on my end and for the client future update I will look into it for sure but they want to get it going ASAP lol

TatorTot
Aspiring developer
Iowa
08/15/14 04:56 PM (10 years ago)
Should note it's because they've already had upwards off 500+ sign up and they know the circumstances

LA
Aspiring developer
Jerseyville, IL
08/15/14 05:04 PM (10 years ago)
Yes that would be good chris1 but no offense, they are a little expensive for someone like me that doesn't make any money LA

chris1
Code is Art
Reg: Aug 10, 2012
Austin, TX
08/15/14 05:29 PM (10 years ago)
Well, if you're (or more importantly your client is) comfortable with the approach, then either the free login plugin or the beautiful login plugin should work fine. Another approach to logins is to use a Facebook login, grab the email address, and compare with the registered email address in the server. Also requires some php magic of course, but has the advantage of being a lot more user friendly since they don't have to type in a full email and password in. @LA - if you're building an app that uses logins, then you should be finding a way to monetize it. Either you're making it for someone else, in which case they should pay you for your time, or you're making it for the App Store, in which case you're 'locked' content should be accessible via payment. However you monetize, the cost of a few plugins should be small in comparison.

LA
Aspiring developer
Jerseyville, IL
08/15/14 05:37 PM (10 years ago)
I can't get any clients! LA

Dusko
Veteran developer
Beograd
08/15/14 09:41 PM (10 years ago)
>500+ sign up That's a lot of copying and pasting to do... not to mention error prone... not to mention the stress and fatigue for your fingers of doing 2500+ Ctrl-C and another 2500+ Ctrl-V monotonous motions in the App Users Add Login mask... If I were you, I'd start looking at an automated PHP solution right away, for your own sake.

Susan Metoxen
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: May 01, 2011
Hopkins, Minnes...
08/15/14 10:40 PM (10 years ago)
I have something similar in an app called, Maine EMS. Users can sign up to add contacts that only they can see. It is integrated into the Buzztouch control panel and the users are stored in the BT users table. They sign themselves up.

TatorTot
Aspiring developer
Iowa
08/16/14 06:21 PM (10 years ago)
Dusko yeah manually entering will be a chore for sure. But found out the client I'm working alongside has decided to make the password the same for every registered user so that takes out one error prone situation.

Dusko
Veteran developer
Beograd
08/16/14 10:42 PM (10 years ago)
> that takes out one error prone situation Probably not. You still have to enter this "same" password all over, and twice at that, once to enter it, the other time to confirm it. But in this situation I guess, the important thing is to start the ball rolling.

Login + Screen Name Required to Post

pointerLogin to participate so you can start earning points. Once you're logged in (and have a screen name entered in your profile), you can subscribe to topics, follow users, and start learning how to make apps like the pros.