Flustered
Android Fan
Reg: Jul 18, 2014
Venus
08/08/14 10:24 PM (10 years ago)

Stupid Question - can I run xCode on a PC (not an Apple)

I realise this is a dumb question... but I'm on a PC (not an Apple)... can I build an iPhone app on my PC? I realise its dumb.

CMCOFFEE
Android Fan
Reg: Jan 04, 2013
Amarillo, Texas
08/08/14 10:32 PM (10 years ago)
you can use macincloud.com to make an iphone app on your pc.

Tony @ Buzztouch
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: Mar 05, 2011
Saint Louis, Mi...
08/08/14 10:36 PM (10 years ago)
Hey Flustered, I am sure someone else is wondering the same question so it is not dumb. Glad to see you post your question and see how powerful this community is to helping you obtain the answers and information your are seeking. Now to answer your question, it can be done, however I recommend if you are going to build ios apps you buy a mac. ios apps by design are meant to be built on a mac, plan and simple. Although there are ways to fudge the system. check this info out about running xcode on windows 7 or 8. http://blog.getspool.com/79/download-install-xcode-windows-7-8-pc/ Cheers, Tony Buzztouch

Mike the App Guy
Lost but trying
Reg: Sep 19, 2011
Birmingham, Ala...
08/09/14 07:07 AM (10 years ago)
Another vote for what @CMCOFFEE said too. I have an older Macbook, I got it on eBay for about $200, but it's the bare minimum specs to be able to run Xcode 5. I also have a newer Windows laptop, and I use Macincloud with it. Neither one is the best case scenario, and like @Tony said, the best way is to get a Mac. But, in a pinch and on a budget, there are options. I get the educational discount for Macincloud be because my wife works in a school system, and it's around $20 a month for 8 hours a day of a virtual Mac with the latest smokin specs.

AlanMac
Aspiring developer
Reg: Mar 05, 2012
Esher, UK
08/09/14 07:49 AM (10 years ago)
Long story short, xcode only runs on the later versions of OSX, which is the operating system for Macs, so buying a MAC is what most people do. MacinCloud is a cloud based 'virtual' mac running OSX that you access via the internet. You might be able to get a virtual machine running on a PC to run OSX, I tried once many years ago and I gave up after a day. It is not easy to get OSX to run on PC hardware, but for the hardened tekkie, machines that are built this way are known as Hackintoshes for obvious reasons and it isn't really recommended.

CMCOFFEE
Android Fan
Reg: Jan 04, 2013
Amarillo, Texas
08/09/14 08:45 AM (10 years ago)
Echo what Tony said there are no stupid questions here.no matter how much experience someone has,we all have questions and learn from each other still.good luck!

Flustered
Android Fan
Reg: Jul 18, 2014
Venus
08/09/14 03:36 PM (10 years ago)
Thanks all. I appreciate the time you put aside for my question. Have a great day/night. :-)

Login + Screen Name Required to Post

pointerLogin to participate so you can start earning points. Once you're logged in (and have a screen name entered in your profile), you can subscribe to topics, follow users, and start learning how to make apps like the pros.