Discussion Forums  >  Plugins, Customizing, Source Code

Replies: 1    Views: 79

Angry Ninja
Aspiring developer
Reg: Aug 25, 2013
Maine
07/07/14 06:06 AM (10 years ago)

A Big Thanks to All BT Members

I just wanted to take a few moments to thank the community here on the BT forum. I have had apps in the app store since 2008. At the time, I was paying developers in India to write my apps for me. I tried learning objective C several times, and just couldn't wrap my head around it. You know it's bad when you pick up "Objective C for dummies" and you're lost before even getting to chapter 3, lol. Since then, I've tried watching instructional videos, and even taking online courses to learn objective C. Still couldn't quite grasp it. I knew enough that I could copy and paste pieces in, then modify it to suit my needs, but thats about it. I couldn't even write a proper IF statement from scratch. The funny thing is, I signed up for Buzztouch a year ago so that I wouldn't have to learn Objective C. It's actually had quite the opposite effect. Over the last 4 months in particular, the little light bulb over my head finally lit up and it was one of those "AHA" moments, where everything finally clicked together. Now, even if I looked up a piece of code on stackoverflow or something like that where I could simply copy and paste it in, I find it easier once I know the direction, to just type out the section of code manually rather than switching screens to paste it in. My comfort level is actually good enough now that I can type out the code that I need without looking up the proper syntax for every little thing. I owe it all to Buzztouch and the members on this forum, without which I would never have had the need to actually dive in write the code I needed from scratch in the first place. The need to create plugins, get them to work with the BT infrastructure, Kittsy's instruction on hooking up my apps and plugins through the control panel, Cakebit helping me with communicating from xcode to php, and everything else forced me to learn how the BT structure works (as regular xcode, not a particular plugin or anything), and basically forced me to learn how objective C works under the hood. Buzztouch has basically taught me objective C where other methods have failed. Just wanted to thank everyone thats helped along the way, without whom I wouldn't have gotten comfortable with the language in the first place. Thanks to everyone on here. I've got a couple of big things in the works... keep an eye out ;)

Nicks App
Code is Art
Reg: May 21, 2014
Las Vegas
07/08/14 09:01 AM (10 years ago)
I've written a lot of PHP from scratch, and by stitching together code snippets. I've enjoyed making Google maps, in Javascript. I am very intrigued by ObjC, and my first looks at it have been filled with wonder. I'm wanting to give making some add-ons to LocationMap a try. Glad to know it is so do-able!

Login + Screen Name Required to Post

pointerLogin to participate so you can start earning points. Once you're logged in (and have a screen name entered in your profile), you can subscribe to topics, follow users, and start learning how to make apps like the pros.