Discussion Forums  >  Xcode, Errors, Installing, Configuring

Replies: 16    Views: 1149

LadyEmerald
Apple Fan
Reg: Jun 20, 2014
Helsingborg
06/22/14 03:05 AM (10 years ago)

I don't know where to start to make my project work in Xcode

Hi! I have a minor problem. I have just downloaded the source code and tried to put my project into Xcode. So far so good, but I cannot make anything work and I don't know what I am doing wrong. Is there anybody out there who can help me? I would really appreciate it. I'm a beginner and I just wanted try this out for fun to see if I can create something. It's suppose to be a pedagogical app where my students study languages. Once I get the code work, I think I can manage the rest on my own. I have html-skills and simple script programming but C++ is fairly new to me. Please? I'd try to help you if I can. Thanks in advance, Camilla

Tyroner
Aspiring developer
Reg: Dec 26, 2012
Johannesburg, S...
06/22/14 03:22 AM (10 years ago)
Welcome LadyEmerald! You will find lots of helpful people in this forum. The first step is to unzip your downloaded BT folder. You then click on the Xcode project file. This will open your project in Xcode. Then drag two of the downloaded files into your Xcode project: BT_Plugins and BT_Images. If your project has images then you must download these and drag it into the BT_Images folder in Xcode. Select the device that you want to use in the simulator and run the project. Hope this helps!

LadyEmerald
Apple Fan
Helsingborg
06/22/14 03:29 AM (10 years ago)
Thank you! I tried that and now when I wanted to see my work, it says "Build failed" when trying to run the simulator. How do I see what I've done?

Tyroner
Aspiring developer
Johannesburg, S...
06/22/14 03:33 AM (10 years ago)
Click on the red warning sign and it will give you an error message to tell you what the problem is.

LadyEmerald
Apple Fan
Helsingborg
06/22/14 03:34 AM (10 years ago)
Yes but how will I be able to fix?

Tyroner
Aspiring developer
Johannesburg, S...
06/22/14 03:39 AM (10 years ago)
It depends on what the message says. Common errors are: using incorrect deployment target and trying to use your iPhone without code signing. Post the error message on the forum and someone will be able to figure it out for you.

LadyEmerald
Apple Fan
Helsingborg
06/22/14 03:47 AM (10 years ago)
It says: Plugin not found? Missing plugin: The View Controller for this plugin was not compiled in the Xcode project. ---- No graphics are shown nor links in my app. Just that error message and it only says "build failed" when using the simulator.

Tyroner
Aspiring developer
Johannesburg, S...
06/22/14 03:59 AM (10 years ago)
Make sure that you dragged the BT_Plugins folder from the downloaded source file into Xcode. Click on the plugin folder that you dragged into Xcode to look whether the plugin is there. If not then drag it in again. Also check in the downloaded source code whether the plugin has been downloaded or not. If not then go back to the Buzzztouch control panel and make sure that you select the plugin before you download the source code.

Nicks App
Code is Art
Reg: May 21, 2014
Las Vegas
06/22/14 07:29 PM (10 years ago)
There are a couple of more errors that will cause Build Failed, after you follow Tyroner's advice on the Plugins. XCode will tell you that no Build Architecture has been found, and then the App must be Signed. I'm hoping someone with some time and experience can put a short how-to together, that shows those two items. I did mention a few weeks ago, that the Self Hosted 3.0 iOS .zip does not include the .PDF.

SmugWimp
Smugger than thou...
Reg: Nov 07, 2012
Tamuning, GU
06/23/14 12:05 AM (10 years ago)
I keep a copy of instructions in my public Dropbox... https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/115208762/instructionsiOS.pdf Although I think it's for BTv2, the only 'major' difference is which directories need to be added to the project, but Plugins (which is usually the dealbreaker) still needs to be. Cheers! -- Smug Once you've got your project running in Xcode, you can test it on a simulator without having to code-sign anything, but as Nick said; if you want to run on a device, you'll need to register as an Apple Developer, request and install certificates, and a few other tedious yet required tasks.

LadyEmerald
Apple Fan
Helsingborg
06/23/14 07:01 AM (10 years ago)
Thank you guys (Nicks App, Tyroner, SmugWimp), I'm down to two problems in order to build. I'm so grateful and I've tried everything you've said. And I read the document, SmugWimp. Look here: --- Check dependencies Unable to run command 'CpResource missgoranssonsapp.app' - this target might include its own product. Unable to run command 'Touch missgoranssonsapp.app' - this target might include its own product. --- What is this? Did I forget to download something here from BuzzTouch? This is really frustrating!

Tyroner
Aspiring developer
Johannesburg, S...
06/23/14 05:02 PM (10 years ago)
I'm not sure what that error message means. Are you using the control panel or self hosted? Did you try to re-download the project from Buzztouch and then run it again?

Andrusito
Aspiring developer
Reg: Jun 17, 2013
cordoba
08/15/14 09:13 AM (10 years ago)
Hello, I've downloaded my BT project and opened it on Xcode. I've already added folders "BT_plugins" and "BT_images". The problem appears when trying to use the emulator.. it says 'Build Fails', and this is the error I got: File '/Users/admin/Downloads/pruebas_iOS/BT_Layout/BT_viewUtilities.h' has been modified since the precompiled header '/Users/admin/Library/Developer/Xcode/DerivedData/pruebas-bfjcuxqcwflppgfdyfpawqbtexyj/Build/Intermediates/PrecompiledHeaders/BT_includeHeaders-cfyenjxgfumhnyfbzmdhymqwuumq/BT_includeHeaders.pch.pch' was built What's wrong? I've seen many users with the same problem, but no one can get it solved. Thanks in advanced.

SmugWimp
Smugger than thou...
Tamuning, GU
08/15/14 02:58 PM (10 years ago)
Try 'cleaning' your project. If that doesn't work, remove the app from the emulator, and try again. Cheers! -- Smug

Andrusito
Aspiring developer
cordoba
08/19/14 06:21 AM (10 years ago)
Great, The 'cleaning' worked fine! Now, if I change the RSS Feed URL on Buzztouch, the app on the emulator does not reflect the change. I also edited BT_Config.txt but did not work. Also, I've downloaded the project again and compile on Xcode. The RSS I see is the first I use.

SmugWimp
Smugger than thou...
Tamuning, GU
08/19/14 07:10 AM (10 years ago)
Keep in mind that the BT_config.txt that is included in the project will be the one you see; anything 'updated' will be downloaded in the cache, and you wont be able to see it. So, to be certain that your app has the latest config (prior to release) periodically copy a 'fresh' version of your config from your control panel, run it through jsonlint.com to make it look pretty, and overwrite your existing version. This is an extremely important 'last step' before compiling for app store release; you'll want to use a 'live' version of your config file. In the meantime, you can 'force' a refresh by clicking on the 'reload' button, sort of a circle looking arrow that you 'should' see on your 'home' screen, which is usually the first screen that loads. Remember to set your home screen if you haven't already; it's done in the 'layout' section of links in your apps control panel. Cheers! -- Smug

Andrusito
Aspiring developer
cordoba
08/25/14 04:57 AM (10 years ago)
It is working now Smug! The solution was to click the Refresh button :D Thanks for your timee!

Login + Screen Name Required to Post

pointerLogin to participate so you can start earning points. Once you're logged in (and have a screen name entered in your profile), you can subscribe to topics, follow users, and start learning how to make apps like the pros.