HerrNathan
Aspiring developer
Reg: Oct 11, 2011
Stirling
06/23/14 08:04 AM (10 years ago)

Problems with Google Play Services Library

Hi, I've set up a very basic app to test setting up on android but cant get it to run in simulator. The app is only a list linking to custom URL but is set up to request for push notifications. When I run on simulator I get the following output... 06-23 15:57:29.417: E/AndroidRuntime(578): FATAL EXCEPTION: main 06-23 15:57:29.417: E/AndroidRuntime(578): java.lang.RuntimeException: Unable to start activity ComponentInfo{com.testapplication/com.testapplication.BT_activity_host}: java.lang.UnsupportedOperationException: Device does not have package com.google.android.gsf From what I understand this means I need to reference the Google Play Services Library, which i have done by following the steps in this tutorial https://www.buzztouch.com/files/howtos/GPSRefBT.pdf I've compared the settings on Eclipse to those on the pdf and they look correct. Is there anything else that can cause this error?

SmugWimp
Smugger than thou...
Reg: Nov 07, 2012
Tamuning, GU
06/23/14 02:32 PM (10 years ago)
Sounds like your emulator is conked. Try a different emulator. It doesn't do this on a device, which is where you should be most concerned. Cheers! -- Smug

HerrNathan
Aspiring developer
Reg: Oct 11, 2011
Stirling
06/24/14 07:47 AM (10 years ago)
Hi Smug, Thanks for the reply, that's exactly what the issue was. I had been setting the emulators to work on Android 4.0 (which was causing a problem), when I tested on device it worked fine. I managed to get it working on the emulator if I set it to Google.

Login + Screen Name Required to Post

pointerLogin to participate so you can start earning points. Once you're logged in (and have a screen name entered in your profile), you can subscribe to topics, follow users, and start learning how to make apps like the pros.