Mike the App Guy
Lost but trying
Reg: Sep 19, 2011
Birmingham, Ala...
06/20/14 10:52 AM (10 years ago)

Does anyone here test their apps ONLY on the ios simulator?

I'm curious to see if any of you do not test your app on an actual device, and test it on the ios simulator in XCode only. The reason I would do this, for a short time, is because my Mac is older, and using the macincloud service will let me always have the latest version of XCode, where I'm limited and can't use XCode 5 on my little old 2006 Macbook. So, until I have about $350 or so for a used Macbook or $500 or so for a Mac mini, I may be stuck with just using the ios simulator on the macincloud XCode. I was trying to get Testflight to test it out on my iPhone 5, but it's been a real pain getting the ad hoc profile set up. I guess it's not a huge problem to test on the simulator only??

GoNorthWest
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: Jun 24, 2011
Oro Valley, AZ
06/20/14 10:56 AM (10 years ago)
It's always best to test on an actual device if you can, but the iOS simulators are pretty good, and until you get the money for a Macbook or whatever, I think you're probably OK. Mark

CMCOFFEE
Android Fan
Reg: Jan 04, 2013
Amarillo, Texas
06/20/14 11:29 AM (10 years ago)
also you can use app.io. I use this just to be lazy.Ive experienced the lag on macincloud before I bought my mac and running it online is smoother. Its basically an online simulator. taking the time to understand how to use test flight to send the app to yourself would be the best way to test it though.its been so long since ive used it

Mike the App Guy
Lost but trying
Birmingham, Ala...
06/20/14 12:16 PM (10 years ago)
Thanks for your input folks!! This may be a moot point. I found a 2010 macbook on eBay that wasn't in the right category, so I won it at $225. I know it isn't the best way to do this and I will need to get a newer Mac sooner or later, but this seems to be the most practical solution for the short term. And I can likely sell my 2006 Macboon on eBay for $100 or so, it's in good condition and I just upgraded the hard drive. Thank you so much all, the buzztouch community is awesome!' Hopefully I will be cranking out some quality apps soon!! Roll Tide!!

tb
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: Nov 03, 2011
Oxford
06/20/14 02:10 PM (10 years ago)
I can agree that testing on various devices is always best. The reason is that the Simulator represents the device's software, but not the hardware. Only the real device itself can represent the hardware of the product. However, a great way to test them is to just ask on the forums. I have tested others' apps on my device, because getting a range of tested devices is also key. Well done on your purchase. I also have a 2010 MacBook. Presumably, you're getting the same one that I got (White unibody). I hate to admit it (as an Apple fan), but I really thought it was going to be faster. i thought about upgrading the RAM to bring it up to 8GB, but RAM doesn't mean speed, it means 'top speed'. The key to accelerating these machines is an SSD drive. I put one into my MacBook and it makes it as fast as the new devices! It's stunningly quick, and faster than my 2012 27" iMac (because that has HDD).

Fingers Crossed
Veteran developer
Reg: Jan 16, 2012
Simcoe, ON
06/21/14 07:13 AM (10 years ago)
While I do run a test on my IP5, I run the simulator for iPad and other phones to make sure they look OK. My 1Gen iPad isn't much good for testing anymore :(

trouty
I hate code!
Reg: Mar 26, 2013
London Outskirt...
06/23/14 02:07 AM (10 years ago)
I usually test on an iphone 4, iphone 5 and ipad 4. But my latest which was uploaded to itunes connect over the weekend, was kinda rushed out in a couple of hours (start to finish, including messing about with provisioning profiles etc) and only tested on simulator. I expect that may come back to bite me!

tb
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: Nov 03, 2011
Oxford
06/23/14 04:55 AM (10 years ago)
I would second trouty. I usually test on my devices, but if I'm under pressure I sometimes release without testing. However I can only advise that when submitting a minor app update. If submitting an entire new app, or a major update, I would test it. There have been a few times when testing on my iPhone and iPad has thrown up something different from the simulator. Remember just ask if you want us to test anything on the forums and ai'm sure we can help.

Mike the App Guy
Lost but trying
Birmingham, Ala...
06/23/14 05:11 AM (10 years ago)
Thanks for all your input! My "brand used" macbook should get to me today or tomorrow, and I will be rolling. The buzztouch community has some amazingly fantastic and helpful people!!!

Login + Screen Name Required to Post

pointerLogin to participate so you can start earning points. Once you're logged in (and have a screen name entered in your profile), you can subscribe to topics, follow users, and start learning how to make apps like the pros.