Discussion Forums  >  Plugins, Customizing, Source Code

Replies: 8    Views: 25

richardemery839
Aspiring developer
Reg: May 15, 2013
Bangkok
06/18/14 05:58 AM (10 years ago)

(R. error in Eclipse

After getting a menu simple to work I just tried my circle list menu. All I have done is add the plugin, add a splash screen, delete the simple menu and make the circle menu the top item in Layout. Throughout the app there is an error (R.layout. or (R.Id. or (R.String. I went through and changed them all to the first suggestion which is Import 'R' (android) but this caused more errors. There are 5 other simple fixes - Create Class, Create Interface, Create Constant, Create enum or Create local variable. Any ideas on which would be the best? I have searched Google but to no avail.

SmugWimp
Smugger than thou...
Reg: Nov 07, 2012
Tamuning, GU
06/18/14 06:20 AM (10 years ago)
For the most part, 'autofix' is a good thing, but sometimes, it'll try and fix a problem that is actually the result of something else, which then introduces more problems. Start again with a fresh package without the edits, and work on getting it error free. Don't use any plugins that aren't specifically for Android; they'll have blank documents that cause issues with eclipse. Make sure you're at the right API ("Android" v4, API 14), and make sure you've got the most current Google Play Services, and link that to your project. There 'used' to be a 'google-services-remove.jar' file in the project. I haven't seen it lately, but if it's there, remove it. It 'used' to be there if you didn't want the Google Play Services. These days, there isn't much of a choice; Google Play Services must be used for your project to compile correctly. And lastly, they seem to have re-started including a 'instructions.pdf' with the downloads again... so check that and make sure you've followed the steps. It's all easy 'once you know how', but sometimes, what seems apparent isn't. Fear not, it'll work itself out sooner than you think! Cheers! -- Smug

rburns50
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: May 12, 2014
Bilston - Engla...
06/18/14 06:31 AM (10 years ago)
My main '2' reasons for getting these errors are, Google Play library not linked/included and corrupt/missing or empty XML file(s).

rburns50
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: May 12, 2014
Bilston - Engla...
06/18/14 06:33 AM (10 years ago)
Oh - and make sure all your pictures etc are loaded into the appropriate folders and they conform to the standards required (strange characters in file names, upper cases and underscores have got me before - including .PNG when it wanted .png)!

Niraj
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: Jul 11, 2012
Cerritos
06/19/14 06:45 AM (10 years ago)
Do not use Splash on Android -- causes many woes.

richardemery839
Aspiring developer
Bangkok
06/24/14 02:52 AM (10 years ago)
Thanks guys. Always helpful. Any advice on Telling a Friend apps on Android. The actual one available in Plugins is for IOS and I will use it for that. But what about Android? I have added Share via SMS but the emulator won't work with it but as it won't scroll or show PDF's I'm not surprised.

SmugWimp
Smugger than thou...
Reg: Nov 07, 2012
Tamuning, GU
06/24/14 03:33 AM (10 years ago)
Well, the emulator on Android leaves a lot to be desired, there's no argument there. But in iOS, the iOS infrastructure supports pdf out of the box. Android doesn't, even on a device. So, like a device, you need to install a pdf reader if you want to test pdf stuff on the emulator. Heres a little guide on doing just that: http://www.androidaz.com/development/how-install-application-and-copy-files-android-emulator You 'can' do some minor SMS emulation on Android, although not a full boat message. to send sms 'to' your device, open a console and type: telnet localhost 5554 remember that "5554" really should be the emulator ID, found in the DDMS part of eclipse. when you're connected, type: sms send <yourBogusTelephoneNumber> textMessage if you want to 'Send' SMS with the emulator, that isn't happening in the traditional sense. But you can: 1) Launch your app in eclipse, let it go to an emulator 2) Launch 'another' app in eclipse, and let it go to an emulator also 3) The two devices can sms each other, using the emulator ID number (DDMS) Cheers! -- Smug

richardemery839
Aspiring developer
Bangkok
06/25/14 06:21 AM (10 years ago)
I have mentioned before that my first app. is for a local Thai magazine (Nan in Northern Thailand) and I sent my first demo app to the tech guy yesterday and he has come back with some suggestions but his main thing was that it needs to be linked to Facebook, Twitter and Instagram. I don't personally use Twitter or Instagram but have done so before. There are no Android plugins available on BT. From the main menu how could I link to these?

Niraj
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: Jul 11, 2012
Cerritos
06/25/14 06:58 AM (10 years ago)
Richard -- great question. If you have not yet, please start a new post on it. Then a few months later, we will be able to retrieve the answer easily. Thanks, -- Niraj

Login + Screen Name Required to Post

pointerLogin to participate so you can start earning points. Once you're logged in (and have a screen name entered in your profile), you can subscribe to topics, follow users, and start learning how to make apps like the pros.