SmugWimp
Smugger than thou...
Reg: Nov 07, 2012
Tamuning, GU
06/16/14 12:05 AM (10 years ago)

iOS 64 bit... Preparing for the inevitable.

iOS 8 will soon be released, and most newer 'i' devices are already 64bit capable. I've recently been working with a BT'er using my 'offlineMapKit' plugin, and have had issues with 64bit compilations. The 'solution' ended up being my suggestion that they compile in 32 bit. The reason is because many of the numerical properties in the 'Route-Me' library are incompatible with a 64bit architecture, and I suspect a few of my own as well. They 'can' be fixed, but I'm not sure how soon route me will be updated, if at all. With the advent of iOS 8, many apps will soon be targeting 64bit for their compile, and we'll all need to prepare for that. There isn't much to it, if you approach it 'ahead' of time. For the most part, it's not that hard, but it'll have to be done. Here is a guide outlining the requirements: https://developer.apple.com/library/ios/documentation/General/Conceptual/CocoaTouch64BitGuide/ConvertingYourAppto64-Bit/ConvertingYourAppto64-Bit.html Cheers! -- Smug

hendosan
Apple Fan
Reg: Feb 28, 2013
Sydney, Austral...
06/16/14 04:35 AM (10 years ago)
As always, a well written piece. Thanks SmugWimp.

Niraj
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: Jul 11, 2012
Cerritos
06/16/14 10:55 PM (10 years ago)
Thanks! I've saved it for future reference. One of my new PhoneGap apps won't launch on the 64-bit iPad Air. Works just fine on an iPad-2 (32-bit). Might have something to do with Cordova (PG) rather than my app. -- Niraj

Login + Screen Name Required to Post

pointerLogin to participate so you can start earning points. Once you're logged in (and have a screen name entered in your profile), you can subscribe to topics, follow users, and start learning how to make apps like the pros.