JimmySaver
Aspiring developer
Reg: Apr 09, 2012
location unknow...
06/14/14 01:10 AM (10 years ago)

Turn off Debug in Xcode / Project - Speed up the App?

Hey all - reaching out for some advice (and I'm probably asking a very simple question... apologies). App built. It's on self hosted and has some major mods through the sterling work of someone else (not me, alas). The app runs perfectly on simulator. It's lightening fast. As soon as it's on a device it's a little slower (on an iPhone 5 it's acceptably slow, on 4, less so). That's with dev code singing / profiles. With AdHoc, it runs real slow on all devices. A massive annoyance considering it's spot on in all other respects! So, though there are many other considerations (and pointers would be welcomed) I'm wondering if the issue could be cause by the app still debugging itself when running? I've turned off debug the delegate ([self setShowDebugInfo:FALSE];) but the debug console in Xcode is still populating itself with data when the app is ran. So.... a) If I've set debug to FALSE in the delegate, should I still be seeing an output in the console at all? b) If so, then any other means of optimising the app in compiling it would be welcomed. c) If no, then how on earth do I properly turn off debug mode? If I'm missing something, please feel free to point out my mistakes! Cheers!

SmugWimp
Smugger than thou...
Reg: Nov 07, 2012
Tamuning, GU
06/14/14 03:57 AM (10 years ago)
Remember that 'debug' mode is different than the logger... Debug allows you to stop the app at some designated mid-way point and play around a little... So whether or not you're using 'debug' mode, there will be 'debug statements' in your logger, from statements within Xcode, BT, plugins, etc... I use them extensively while testing, and usually comment them out for release. That being said, it's odd that a simulator would run faster than an actual device. Where are the 'resources' located? Online, or local? If the resources are online, then check to see if your device is using 'cell data' or 'wifi data' for it's internet connection; the two may have different speeds, resulting in a seemingly slow device. If the resources are local, then I'm not entirely sure what the problem could be; devices are usually much much faster than a simulator, especially with local resources. Cheers! -- Smug

Niraj
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: Jul 11, 2012
Cerritos
06/14/14 08:20 AM (10 years ago)
The Simulator should always run faster than a device. The Simulator is running on a faster CPU :-) Delete the app from the Simulator. Quit Simulator and Xcode for extra assurance -- usually not needed. That ensures the latest version of the app will be loaded into the simulator. Then re- run the app from Xcode. Does your output log still show activity? -- Niraj

JimmySaver
Aspiring developer
Reg: Apr 09, 2012
location unknow...
06/14/14 10:17 AM (10 years ago)
Hey Smug - everything is locally stored and thanks for the clarification on the logger. I was under the impression that had I disabled debug then I shouldn't get an output in the logger console when running the app. Oh well. Niraj - yes, the app has been installed (an uninstalled!) from a fresh simulator (and device) configuration several (scores) of times. I firmly believe that running the app on the device should at least match the speeds of the simulator (if the compile is done correctly). So I'm still thinking that there *must* be something I can do in Xcode to improve this. The difference between simulator and device is too great.

Login + Screen Name Required to Post

pointerLogin to participate so you can start earning points. Once you're logged in (and have a screen name entered in your profile), you can subscribe to topics, follow users, and start learning how to make apps like the pros.