richardemery839
Aspiring developer
Reg: May 15, 2013
Bangkok
06/15/14 06:11 AM (10 years ago)

Understanding Eclipse much more now but something is wrong

After watching the Zurich Buzztouch Eclipse video I really got very close to understanding how Eclipse works. However, I got simple app to work (on simulator) with IOS and then downloaded the source code for Eclipse. I made sure first that the version of eclipse I am using was noted in my developer profile but still a large number of errors. There are red 'x's in the app name, 14 of them in the src folder and 1 in res folder. Also when I press the play button the following red message comes up - [2014-06-15 17:46:27 - google-play-services_lib] Unable to resolve target 'android-9' Thoughts anyone please.

SmugWimp
Smugger than thou...
Reg: Nov 07, 2012
Tamuning, GU
06/15/14 06:14 AM (10 years ago)
Did you add the Google Play Services library? I wrote a tutorial that should help with that... https://www.buzztouch.com/files/howtos/GPSRefBT.pdf Otherwise, I've had some odd success changing the API level, and changing it back. Also remember, that you will *not* be using a 'google' api, but use the *android* api instead, unlike when we were doing BTv2... Cheers! -- Smug Also remember that BT hosted only has an option for BTv3 projects... Self hosted still has a BTv2 option... remember to choose BTv3, otherwise the procedures are vastly different.

richardemery839
Aspiring developer
Reg: May 15, 2013
Bangkok
06/15/14 10:23 PM (10 years ago)
Thanks Smug. I did read your article and it answered a lot for me. I have just opened my eclipse app and when I go to properties I can't change the google api to android as there are no andriod api's available for the properties of my app. Lastly, I don't know which version of BT I am using but I will check that out now. I am quite frustrated (as I am sure many people are) at the confusion android throws up compared to IOS but that's life I guess.

SmugWimp
Smugger than thou...
Reg: Nov 07, 2012
Tamuning, GU
06/15/14 10:50 PM (10 years ago)
Oh, if you want to complain about Android, stand in line... ;) 'Typically' we're all building BTv3 projects... but self hosted still has a BTv2 option, which is why I ask. You 'should' have at least Android v4.0 (not Google) API level 14 if you're going to do v3 stuff. Some folks just download the things they need. Since I never know what I'll need, I usually end up downloading everything, lol! While you're in Eclipse, go to the "Window" menu and select SDK Manager. You can select the API's you need or if you're like me, just before you go to bed, select 'everything' and let it download overnight. You'll eventually have all the SDK's and extras available 'if' you ever need them. But make sure you have 'Android' v4, API 14. That is the minimum required for the new BT projects. Cheers! -- Smug

Login + Screen Name Required to Post

pointerLogin to participate so you can start earning points. Once you're logged in (and have a screen name entered in your profile), you can subscribe to topics, follow users, and start learning how to make apps like the pros.