rburns50
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: May 12, 2014
Bilston - Engla...
06/07/14 09:13 AM (10 years ago)

OSX on Intel PC?

Strange question but ill ask anyway! I have a HP Micro Server, now spare after running it for an ESX lab. I wondered about installing OSX or some variant onto it to enable me to install / run xcode? That done and assuming that would work, would this allow me to ultimately submit my Apps to Apple? Currently battling through Android but would love to be able to release on both platforms of course. You can see I'm not an Apple guy so this may be shakey ground or its fine - advice welcome as spending out on new hardware is not an option at the moment :(

GoNorthWest
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: Jun 24, 2011
Oro Valley, AZ
06/07/14 03:44 PM (10 years ago)
There are ways to get Mac OS X running in a VM or as Hackintosh, and that would allow you to run Xcode (make sure your're running OS X Mavericks). However...whether this is the right thing to do or not is another story. I've heard that it's pretty difficult to get up and working. And I've heard that people have submitted apps from such a configuration, and they've been approved. However, the Apple TOS for Mac OS X says it's need to be installed on an Apple device (like a MacBook), so you are at risk of violating the TOS. It all depends on your TOS stance and how much pain you can handle in getting it all up and running. Mark

tb
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: Nov 03, 2011
Oxford
06/08/14 06:02 PM (10 years ago)
Time and time again we get this question on the forums, and the basic answer is no. It's not possible. Yes, there might be VM things and Mac-Cloud solutions, and yes, some out get the job done, but the fact of the matter is that they're not very good. At least, when comparing against a proper mac, they seem awful. Also, as GoNorthWest points out above, you're breaching Apple's Terms and Conditions. If you're keen on the idea of a cross platform app, it would be a much better idea to splash out on a Mac. The most common misconception is that thy are too expensive. The fact of the matter is that they are much better value than one would think (or at least sepcnd hand ones are). These days, you can pick up some pretty nifty second hand Macs for bargains now. Look out for Mac Minis from 2010 or 2011 and you may find some pretty good deals. Also, new Macs are not as expensive as one would make out. Although they may cost a few hundred more than something else, you end up with a much better quality computer that will perform better over the years. Also, with Apple being all fancy with SSD at the moment, there is nothing quicker than an all-flash SSD Mac or MacBook these days.

Niraj
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: Jul 11, 2012
Cerritos
06/09/14 08:04 AM (10 years ago)
Get a Mac from 2012 and younger. That will allow you to run Yosemite with maxed-out RAM in it. -- Niraj

Login + Screen Name Required to Post

pointerLogin to participate so you can start earning points. Once you're logged in (and have a screen name entered in your profile), you can subscribe to topics, follow users, and start learning how to make apps like the pros.