richardemery839
Aspiring developer
Reg: May 15, 2013
Bangkok
06/10/14 03:26 AM (10 years ago)

Code appears ok - what am I doing wrong?

I am getting so close to getting my Apple account set up so I thought after a couple of weeks practice to make the 'real' app. I spent about 3 hours making sure everything was ok - all pictures & files needed are added to Xcode. Then I tried to run the simulator and the white screen "plug-in" missing comes up. I have gone through the configuration data and everything before the "BT_screens" is exactly the same at the 2 apps that work & the BT_screens line itself if correct. I deleted the main menu simple after setting up the circle menu as before and named the circle menu as the main menu in layout. Any suggestions?

richardemery839
Aspiring developer
Bangkok
06/10/14 04:52 AM (10 years ago)
Actually I think I know what I did wrong. At the last moment I decided that the first item in the circle menu should go to an image in menu and then onto a PDF. So I deleted the row and added it to the end and hit refresh, putting it from 9th position to 1st where I wanted it, BUT in the configuration data this whole object is now at the end of the project and not where it should be. However, I have gone through every line of code (with 2 Mac's side by side)and there appears to be no other reason. Yes, I changed the odd name and background colour but nothing that would make any sense.

GoNorthWest
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: Jun 24, 2011
Oro Valley, AZ
06/10/14 09:47 AM (10 years ago)
Usually when you see the Plugin Missing message it means that the plugin has not been copied over to Xcode. Double-check that first, and we can go from there. Mark

richardemery839
Aspiring developer
Bangkok
06/10/14 08:22 PM (10 years ago)
I have had a night to sleep on it and.... I just deleted the whole thing and started from scratch. The problem appears to be that although I have deleted the app from my control panel, and deleted the files in my downloads, xcode appears to remember the name from before and is using previous information when building a new app with the same name. So, how do I delete the information that xcode has or is the simpler thing to do just use another name?

richardemery839
Aspiring developer
Bangkok
06/10/14 09:47 PM (10 years ago)
Scratch that. I have just checked the code and all is not well with the circle menu. I did a trial run with this menu type last week and there are a couple of notable differences now. I also made a quick new app (that works perfectly) using the menu simple. Firstly the new simple menu and the old circle menu have 2 rows of code, each, at the start of BT_Screens:- item id, item type & item nickname are both repeated twice in each case (which I know seems odd and unnecessary but they work). Also in my new circle menu and not in the old circle menu there are two items that now appear and, I believe, should not be there: "listTitleFontColorSelected":"#CCCCCC" & "listDescriptionFontColorSelected"::#CCCCCC" These 2 are not items listed in plugin and the color does not exist anyway.

richardemery839
Aspiring developer
Bangkok
06/11/14 05:29 AM (10 years ago)
What a day. Firstly, I was wrong - there is a colour #CCCCCC. And the doubling up on item id, item type & item nickname appears to be very important. I messed around with the Application for most of the day and kept getting more and more error messages. So then I built yet another from scratch and works like a charm (won't go back to menu from Kenburnsdemo but that could be because I never put any pics in). So, what have I learned. Well, it appears that no amount of deleting gets rid of any app with the same name in Xcode. I have cleared the menu. I have trashed all the old files from downloads and still it seems to remember that I did an app of the same name and throws in what it thinks is necessary this time around.

kingelessar
Lost but trying
Reg: Mar 10, 2014
UK
06/11/14 08:04 AM (10 years ago)
I don't know if it really makes a difference but xcode seems to cache data in Library/Developer/Xcode/DerivedData and I routinely delete this cached data when I'm working on an app. I also delete old versions of the app off the simulators and testing devices before installing/running a new one.

Niraj
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: Jul 11, 2012
Cerritos
06/12/14 06:47 AM (10 years ago)
To echo what Kingelessar said ... I use the utility named Watchdog to clear out the DerivedData and other contents from Xcode. Also, it is important to delete the app from the Simulator when you have made major changes. -- Niraj

Login + Screen Name Required to Post

pointerLogin to participate so you can start earning points. Once you're logged in (and have a screen name entered in your profile), you can subscribe to topics, follow users, and start learning how to make apps like the pros.