Niraj
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: Jul 11, 2012
Cerritos
06/04/14 10:12 PM (10 years ago)

Safely try the Yosemite Mac beta software

This guide is for those people, the ones who want to test the new OS X beta without wrecking their Mac. Always try beta operating systems by isolating the buggy software onto its own disk partition. Follow these disk partitioning steps: http://arstechnica.com/apple/2014/06/how-to-create-a-test-partition-for-the-os-x-yosemite-beta/ -- Niraj

Niraj
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: Jul 11, 2012
Cerritos
06/04/14 10:13 PM (10 years ago)
Personally, I am waiting for the next beta release of Yosemite. The same holds true for iOS 8. -- Niraj

Uelsimon
Lost but trying
Reg: Mar 25, 2012
NYC
06/04/14 10:20 PM (10 years ago)
yup usually beta 2-3 are the good ones to try. ESPECIALLY if there are a lot of core changes. (which Yosemite doesn’t seems to be) I ran it yesterday… never crashed on me.. but was slow…to use software. safari, etc…crawled. app switching and launching was major fast though. I believe it is really made for retina screens…so the new helv neue system font was tricky for me to appreciate on my MBA 11”. Plus not much of the really sexy fun stuff you want seemed present (like dark mode) for instance. another good idea before you succumb to installing it. dip into the dev forum on Apple’s dev site and see what the main whining is about. If you feel fine possibly dealing with the same issues.. go for it. Just be sure to report any bugs to Apple Bug Report so they can easily filter to see what needs to be fixed first. €

Cakebit
Code is Art
Reg: Dec 15, 2010
In your local b...
06/04/14 10:47 PM (10 years ago)
As Uelsimon mentioned the later betas typically are stabler. Fortunately the iOS 8 beta has been the stablest update I have ever tried (I've been doing first-round betas since 3.0). iOS 8 does not contain as many design - or core changes as iOS 7 and I think it is less buggy than other prerelease previously. If you are still waiting to upgrade a test device - I highly recommend you take the leap!

Jlentriken
Aspiring developer
Reg: Dec 26, 2012
Palm Beach, Gol...
06/12/14 06:58 PM (10 years ago)
Just my 2 cents here, Yosemite has been relatively stable for me, very few issues at all really, and none are coming to mind straight off. Im not a fan of how light it is, but what are ya gonna do right? This is running on my new MBP15" i7 with 16GB RAM. iOS8 Beta1 isn't too bad either, on my 5S. It is pretty buggy, but I've tried out buggier 2nd beta releases so I'm not complaining. Some irritating bugs but ill survive. Or i wouldn't have taken the jump! Xcode 6...looks nice. But i deleted Xcode 5 doing a routine tidy up. 'Stupid Jeremy'. Caused a bunch of errors with buzztouch apps so i have had to re download it. So my 2 cents? Yosemite - Go for it IOS8 - maybe Beta 2 Xcode 6 - Not yet. Jeremy

Cakebit
Code is Art
Reg: Dec 15, 2010
In your local b...
06/12/14 07:23 PM (10 years ago)
Jeremy, Just FYI you can run two versions of Xcode at once... I highly recommend running Xcode 6 if you want to play around with the beta and new releases :D Cheers -Cake

Jlentriken
Aspiring developer
Reg: Dec 26, 2012
Palm Beach, Gol...
06/16/14 05:06 PM (10 years ago)
Cake, Yeah thats what i did with the last Xcode beta, but for some reason while my brain was in autopilot cleanup mode it saw Xcode and Xcode6 and thought 'delete Xcode 5'. I have xcode 5 back now, next to xcode6beta, but thanks for the info anyway! Jeremy

Login + Screen Name Required to Post

pointerLogin to participate so you can start earning points. Once you're logged in (and have a screen name entered in your profile), you can subscribe to topics, follow users, and start learning how to make apps like the pros.