Discussion Forums  >  Plugins, Customizing, Source Code

Replies: 10    Views: 158

Angry Ninja
Aspiring developer
Reg: Aug 25, 2013
Maine
06/04/14 12:09 PM (10 years ago)

NEW PLUGIN - Collector (see video)

Collector allows you to create and manage a database of any type of objects you like, complete with photos, youtube videos, sliding rating systems and more. You can also choose from pre-installed collection themes and backgrounds. This is perfect for any type of database that you would like to add to your app and allow the end user to manage themselves. You can of course create any type of collection that you wish, or use the pre-installed templates, which include a Movie Collection, Music Collection, and Video Game Collection. You can also use your own backgrounds, or choose from any of the pre-installed ones such as wood grain, blue carbon, or brushed steel. All of this is selectable right from your control panel, with no code modification needed. You can also set the opening home screen slogan, and change all of the sliders to suit your own collection, right from your Buzztouch control panel. All data is stored locally on the users device, and is tested and proven safe from updates, so no worries about your users losing their data if you upgrade your app. The only time the data will be removed is if the user deletes the app entirely from their device. Full photo and youtube integration allows you to add photos from your camera roll take and add a live photo, and add youtube videos directly to the items screen. A single tap on the auto generated video thumbnail launches the video in full screen mode. This is perfect for movie trailers, music videos, or game demos. We also incorporated a lending system, so you can keep track of your stuff if you loan it out to someone. You can also track the suggested MSRP versus what you actually paid for the item. This is great in collections where prices fluctuate, for example if you are collecting coins, baseball cards, comic book or other items where the value changes on a regular basis. Data saving and slider code created & provided by Jeffrey McNally-Dawes and is licensed under the GNU public license. Also special thanks to Kittsy for helping with the control panel connections for the selectable themes and options. Collector is optimized for iOS of all sizes, including iPhone 3.5”, iPhone 4”, iPad, iPad Retina, and iPad Mini. ————————————------------------————————————---- DEMO VIDEO: ————————————------------------————————————---- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=weLVAL4UfoA ————————————------------------————————————---- DOWNLOAD COLLECTOR HERE: ————————————------------------————————————---- https://www.buzztouch.com/plugins/plugin.php?pid=3F536802B08350EF448922F

LA
Aspiring developer
Reg: Aug 16, 2012
Jerseyville, IL
06/04/14 12:19 PM (10 years ago)
Looks Awesome! LA

SmugWimp
Smugger than thou...
Reg: Nov 07, 2012
Tamuning, GU
06/04/14 02:25 PM (10 years ago)
Nicely Done! :) Cheers! -- Smug

Niraj
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: Jul 11, 2012
Cerritos
06/04/14 08:46 PM (10 years ago)
Watched the whole video -- cool plugin! Was this one of your previous apps that was brought into the BT fold? What will be in v2 of the plugin? :-) -- Niraj

Angry Ninja
Aspiring developer
Maine
06/05/14 07:07 AM (10 years ago)
Nope, this wasn't one of my previous apps. Ummm... I'm not sure. What would you like to see in 2.0? I tried to incorporate everything that would be wanted in the current version.

Niraj
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: Jul 11, 2012
Cerritos
06/05/14 08:20 AM (10 years ago)
The next features I would want are: 1. Data sync to Control Panel -- data that gets added into the app would also show up on Control Panel and be inserted into the MySQL database 2. Data can be inserted into Control Panel and it would be added into the iPhone database. #2 is easier than #1. Data insertion in always easier than 2-way data sync. Is the iPhone using a database, PLIST, or something else to hold the data? -- Niraj

Angry Ninja
Aspiring developer
Maine
06/05/14 08:28 AM (10 years ago)
Hi Niraj, I think you misunderstood the concept of the data. The data is for the user, not for the creator of the app. It's for the app users eyes only, not for the admin. The data resides on the users device, to manage their own collections of items, so if we synced the data to the control panel, there would be some serious privacy issues. Imagine if apple had implemented this into their contacts app, and had your contacts information syncing to store it all on a database on their servers for their own viewing or worse yet viewable by others.... YIKES! lol. The data entered by one user is not shared or viewable by any other user, nor uploaded anywhere as part of a global database or anything... it's a database for their own use only. "My comic book collection" or something for example. For the same reason, we wouldn't want to add #2, because the app publisher would never be adding data into their users own private databases of information. As the app publisher, we wouldn't even know what information they are saving on their device. The purpose of the plugin is to create a database in an app for your app users to create and manage their own database of collections.. baseball cards, coins, dvd libraries, etc... but it's up to them what data they input. The control panel options are just so you, as the app developer, can create the nifty little template with the correct labels and themes to match a particular niche. Not sure if I'm explaining it properly... reading it back it does sound a little confusing. Basically, as the app publisher, you have no way of seeing, altering, or editing the data that your app buyer enters, nor would you want to, since it's their data. Does that make sense? The data is stored using sqlite on the users device. I was thinking about dropbox sync for backup purposes in the next update, but again, it would only be for that particular user, the data is never combined, synced, or accessible with any other user or other instance of the plugin. If I bought this app for example, I would use it to keep track of my baseball cards that I own. I would have no need to share this data with anyone else, or upload it to the host, because it's based on my own collection of cards, not anyone else's. The data in my app is independent to anyone else private baseball card collection. I might have marked one of my cards as paying $3.00 for it and gave it a personal rating score of 7.0, but that wouldn't make sense to anyone that paid 5.00 and gave it a rating of 4.0. Maybe it was my favorite team, and someone else's team they hate the most. Just an example. Collector is meant to be used as a local database for independent use in tracking personal collections, like an inventory app (examples of apple apps with local data would be contacts, calendar, to do lists, etc). For global database apps that share data and combine users input, Instant Database App is more of what you'd be looking for. It uses online MySQL databases and displays the same data to everyone.

othmane
Apple Fan
Reg: Feb 08, 2012
Casablanca
06/05/14 01:37 PM (10 years ago)
Another great plugin from Angry Ninja. Cheers Othmane

mysps
Code is Art
Reg: May 14, 2011
Palma
06/05/14 02:18 PM (10 years ago)
Yeah the description was a bit unclear. I had to read it several times before I realized that I couldn't prepopulate the plugin with dummy data or starter data. Thanks for the explanation

Angry Ninja
Aspiring developer
Maine
06/05/14 02:31 PM (10 years ago)
Would there be an interest in a plugin where you could populate the data from the admin end? If so, if the user had access to add/edit/remove features, wouldn't it be dangerous for unscrupulous users? And if they didn't have access to those features, how would it differ from Instant Database App? Collector = User creates the database on his device and and add/remove/edit the records Instant Database App = Database is hosted on the web, and user can only view it (not edit). If there is a need for something in between, I'm happy to investigate it and see what I can come up with. Just let me know what type of features you'd be looking for. :) You could alter the code of Collector to insert dummy starter data pretty easily... it already does that with the first record that it creates if the database is empty... it loads default placeholder data for the first record... you could simply copy and paste the code that inserts that first record and have it add additional records when it creates the database, and change the default data that it inserts into those dummy records. The code is already there, it would just need to be repeated for multiple record insertion.

Nadz
Aspiring developer
Reg: Mar 06, 2014
Montreal
12/02/14 03:20 PM (9 years ago)
I think that this is an amazing plugin. I can see many uses for it. I do believe that it would be even better if the user themselves could somehow back up his own records outside of the app as mentioned above. Also, if possible, to be able to add more photos to each record rather then just allowing one main photo. This would allow a more detailed photographic library of the item's physical condition. Great Plugin! Nadz

Login + Screen Name Required to Post

pointerLogin to participate so you can start earning points. Once you're logged in (and have a screen name entered in your profile), you can subscribe to topics, follow users, and start learning how to make apps like the pros.