Discussion Forums  >  Plugins, Customizing, Source Code

Replies: 2    Views: 57

Nicks App
Code is Art
Reg: May 21, 2014
Las Vegas
05/28/14 03:17 PM (10 years ago)

Forcing Refresh of config.txt file at launch

I'm wondering what strategies members are using, to require the App on the user's phone or tablet, to go get the (relevant) config.txt file, rather than rely on the config.txt file inside the App? We have this file called config.txt, which has a few lines of requirements at the top, then goes into our menu and data structure. Has anyone - at that point - just put in the Java equivalent of an "include URL" statement, to go get the rest of the data? Fresh and hot? Or is there a better command that you rely on that once the App has launched, to go check for updates?

SmugWimp
Smugger than thou...
Reg: Nov 07, 2012
Tamuning, GU
05/28/14 04:42 PM (10 years ago)
There are a few different opinions on this... Typically you want to include the 'latest' version of your 'Live' config in the app before publishing. This will allow you to test different configurations 'after' the app is live, without impact to the devices in the wild. Although truth be told, I test everything in a separate 'demo' app explicitly for that purpose. Mark (GoNorthWest) wrote up a nice white paper on online vs offline configurations... https://www.buzztouch.com/files/howtos/Understanding_App_Refresh_and_Offline_Apps_v1.0.pdf With respect to 'immediate refresh' You just need to change a couple of lines in the 'core' code. There was a discussion on that in this post: http://www.buzztouch.com/forum/thread.php?tid=83B299BABA2776EF4BA1588&fid=A00805FCC9962ECBA15A891&sortColumn=FT.id&sortUpDown=DESC&currentPage=2 Cheers! -- Smug

Nicks App
Code is Art
Reg: May 21, 2014
Las Vegas
05/28/14 04:44 PM (10 years ago)
Thanks for finding those. I will compare them shortly to current iOS/Android behaviors.

Login + Screen Name Required to Post

pointerLogin to participate so you can start earning points. Once you're logged in (and have a screen name entered in your profile), you can subscribe to topics, follow users, and start learning how to make apps like the pros.