John Scotland
Android Fan
Reg: May 25, 2014
Scotland
05/26/14 01:27 AM (10 years ago)

Morning all

Morning all- Been struggling to get eclipse to work properly on my machine along with sdk and importing my app. Seems my problem has stemmed from the foundation being that, windows XP is too old to run the correct java version in order for eclipse to work properly. Time to buy a new machine by the looks of things... Anyone recommend windows 8? I don’t like the look of it...

Dusko
Veteran developer
Reg: Oct 13, 2012
Beograd
05/26/14 03:04 AM (10 years ago)
Win 7 will do just fine, thank you. Or you can buy a Mac, which will give you the flexibility to develop both for Android and iOS.

tb
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: Nov 03, 2011
Oxford
05/26/14 08:19 AM (10 years ago)
Windows 7 is miles better than 8. Also, now that XP is discontinued, it has become the stuff of nightmares for the computing industry, with every virus being let lose. For me, Mac is simply better in every possible aspect. Their machines are much more powerful, faster, and easier to use. These days, you can pick up some pretty cheap Macs on the second hand market, or if you want a real treat, there's nothing like walking into an Apple store and walking away with a machine. As was mentioned, you can also juggle around with iOS too, which is a much more stable platform for developing apps. Developing iOS apps is the opposite of Eclipse! "If you can get an Android app out there with Eclipse, you can get an iOS app out there while juggling three bananas and drinking vodka." - David Book (Buzztouch founder) said this unforgettable line in a webinar a year ago.

John Scotland
Android Fan
Reg: May 25, 2014
Scotland
05/26/14 08:46 AM (10 years ago)
Thank you Dusko. Thanks again for advice Thomas wish I read this earlier! Sounds like it's much more difficult with Android but I've never liked nor used macs so I'd be learning with that all over too. If David Book said that, scares me haha

AlanMac
Aspiring developer
Reg: Mar 05, 2012
Esher, UK
05/26/14 02:04 PM (10 years ago)
@Thomas, pound for pound, most people would think apple machines are not more powerful or faster. I've worked in IT for many years and personally find them to be over-priced, but they are very likeable products, so I'm told. I agree Win 7 seems to be more liked than 8, especially in the corporate world. But if you want to keep your old PC, you could consider running Eclipse ADT on Ubuntu. I run Ubuntu on one of my PC's and I have to say it's not bad at all.

Login + Screen Name Required to Post

pointerLogin to participate so you can start earning points. Once you're logged in (and have a screen name entered in your profile), you can subscribe to topics, follow users, and start learning how to make apps like the pros.