Discussion Forums  >  Plugins, Customizing, Source Code

Replies: 22    Views: 361

Angry Ninja
Aspiring developer
Reg: Aug 25, 2013
Maine
05/22/14 06:56 AM (10 years ago)

NEW PLUGIN - Super Mario Brothers (iOS & Android)

Showing some much requested love to the Android people this time around... This plugin is compatible with both iOS and Android. Play all three of your favorite Nintendo Mario games in one plugin! Features Super Mario Brothers, Super Mario Brothers 2, and Super Mario Brothers 3. Controls auto adjust the classic NES controller to your phone or tablet. This is a project that I’ve been working on for months, and is the beginning to a small lineup that I like to call “Pretendo”. Play your favorite original Nintendo games on your mobile device. For the first installment, I wanted to do Super Mario Brothers, and decided to throw in part 2 and part 3 for free. You may be wondering about copyright issues here… so did I… so I did the research before starting the project. Emulators are nothing new, and have been deemed perfectly legal software to own and use. It’s the physical ownership of the ROM’s (game files) that are questionable. Thats why I designed the “Pretendo” system plugin as a shell that handles all of the interaction and controls, but pulls the working game files from an online resource instead of bundling them with the plugin. As long as you pull the rome from another host, your app does nothing more than what google would do when linking to these rom sites. The ROMS are never in your app, nor your possession. 100% legal. It’s the owners of the ROM site that it pulls from that would ever have to prove that they owned the original games (ROM’s are legal to own if you have purchased the original retail version, for backup purposes). However… don’t expect to submit a super mario brothers game to the Apple app store and get approval… they won’t let it happen. Could you get away with including a lesser known Nintendo title as a game within a larger app and get it past Apple? Probably. Google Play store… probably not an issue. But this is more intended for someone like me that just wants to play classic nintendo games on their mobile devices, or to make a nintendo app for their kids to play with for personal use and not for commercial distribution, so use at your own risk. I would LOVE it if Nintendo released their games in mobile format on the app store, and would have no problem paying $5 a piece for them… but they don’t. So, being a die hard classic Nintendo fan, I created this nifty little plugin to allow me to play my NES games on my mobile devices. These are the games I played when I was growing up, and would rather play a good game of super mario or paperboy over call of duty any time! :) There is a section in the control panel that links up to the ROM, but for privacy reasons, we *** out the actual link. However we do show you the base website that the ROMS are pulled from if you are curious and want to explore it. The plugin features the classic Nintendo controller (oops… I mean “Pretendo” controller), which automatically sizes perfectly for any mobile device… iPhone, iPad, android phone, android tablet, windows mobile, etc). The perfect balance between arcade screen and controller area was achieved so that controls feel natural and not hard to push the buttons or move the D-pad. The only two minor issues at the moment are that we highly recommend portrait mode, as landscape doesn’t look as good (functional, but not as sleek as portrait), and sound is only available through your devices headphone port, which is a hardware limitation based on how the ROM files output the sound and how the plugin inter pets the ROM data. Remember, you get all THREE Super Mario Games in one in this plugin! These are the full games, from start to end, as they were originally released. They are not clones or just a few levels, but the real deal. ------------------------ DOWNLOAD SUPER MARIO BROTHERS PLUGIN HERE: ------------------------ https://www.buzztouch.com/plugins/plugin.php?pid=9956C21D5777BBE6D1F0965

mysps
Code is Art
Reg: May 14, 2011
Palma
05/22/14 07:14 AM (10 years ago)
Congrats especially for the android :) Might want to make a disclaimer though because Mario Bros is trademarked etc etc..

KozmoWeb
Aspiring developer
Reg: Dec 08, 2012
Sarasota, FL
05/22/14 07:42 AM (10 years ago)
This is an impressive plugin and I love the idea of having Mario on my Apple device. But I hate to be a downer... I seriously doubt that Apple would approve any app that contained this plugin. I am not a lawyer, but there is a legal concept of "likelihood of confusion" related to trademarks that applies here. Take a look at this article: Likelihood of Confusion: How Do You Determine If a Trademark is Infringing? http://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/likelihood-confusion-how-do-you-determine-trademark-infringing.html Regardless of where the ROM is hosted, the presentation of the multiple Nintendo trademarks (images, name, copyright notice, etc.) within the app plugin would be a problem because of the confusion that would occur. I would expect Nintendo to defend their trademarks and intellectual property. Additionally, there is an ethical problem for me here. The ROM in not mine and I don't have the right to use it, never mind profit from it, wherever it is located. I'd be really surprised if an app with this plugin gets into iTunes. Now if this was a "play alike" re-make that I could re-skin with my own images and sounds, that would be awesome. -William

CMCOFFEE
Android Fan
Reg: Jan 04, 2013
Amarillo, Texas
05/22/14 07:48 AM (10 years ago)
Cool do you have plans for Bluetooth controller support in the future,?

Kittsy
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: Feb 22, 2012
Liverpool
05/22/14 08:01 AM (10 years ago)
Right sorry for being a party pooper but I've got a feeling some shenanigans are in place. I have got a feeling that you are just duplicating the custom URL plugin changing the class name and selling it for $10 and I reckon you have done the same with the chat plugin. One I think the chat plugin is now just a the custom url to the link I shown yesterday, I wouldn't have gotten on to it until you said you could yopur plugin could do the other stuff, thats because its the same bloody plugin. I recognise that nintendo stuff as I read about it in feb http://lifehacker.com/webnes-plays-your-nintendo-games-in-a-mobile-browser-1524412442 http://webn.es/ I added there git hub project before code camp to play with it https://github.com/conradev/webn.es Easily reskinable. Forgivable but seriously months working on it unless and I maybe wrong you are one of these guys •Conrad Kramer @conradev •Jared Wright @jawerty •Bogdan Vitoc @bogidon •Evan Klein @elklein96 I've seen you pass alot of stuff the last few months off as your own but when you are selling weblinks of free websites that's a bit far. Sorry to be a bellend but I value Buzztouch as an honest helpful community. I have never seen anyone ever sell links. Hey I'm kittsy I know of a few great free sites with good app content give me a tenner and I'll tell ya. For everyone else save yourself a $10. I fe anyone has bought the plugin I bet if you copare the .m file with the BT_screenCustomURL.m the class name and the import will be the only lines that have changed. Rant over

mysps
Code is Art
Palma
05/22/14 08:06 AM (10 years ago)
Kittsy!! You've been gone too long buddy :)

Kittsy
buzztouch Evangelist
Liverpool
05/22/14 08:12 AM (10 years ago)
Busy in Uni and work learning how to code, I'll be back properly mid June.

mysps
Code is Art
Palma
05/22/14 08:15 AM (10 years ago)
I can imagine. Same here in the Uni, learning lots. Can't wait to see your upcoming projects!

Angry Ninja
Aspiring developer
Maine
05/22/14 08:19 AM (10 years ago)
Kittsy You have no idea how much custom work was done on the backend server. My first code modified date was March 2nd. No, I didn't just upload a script and point a URL at it. Yes, most of the work went into the server side... is there a rule against that? If it's our original work on the backend server, and we build it with complete mobile OS in mind to function as such, is that not work??? Tell my wife that for the 40-60 hours I put in on it. And Sure, I'd love to throw up a skin on something and call it good... in fact, a lot of plugin developers do just that... and the results show it. Kittsy, please actually check out my plugins before publicly discrediting another developer. Thats BS. This was FAR from any simple graphical skin. But thats fine... I'll keep it for personal use. And thats what it was intended for... it says right in the description that apple wont approve it, and it's meant for personal build. Whatever... I'm starting to see why many plugin developers quit putting stuff out. It's one thing if your statements are true, but it's a whole different story when you don't have your facts straight before discrediting a fellow plugin developer in an open forum with false information. Very unprofessional.

Kittsy
buzztouch Evangelist
Liverpool
05/22/14 08:27 AM (10 years ago)
Why hide the original source, did the chat plugin take you 60 hours also. Considering the webn.es has dozens of ROMS why not say hey this is cool just need to add a custom URL. Saying youa re going to add more packages I bet you where throw rom on server add link charge another $10 very generous. And why would you want to make your own app with it when you could use safari. So sorry not having that one, developers drop out because they cut corners, develop plugins for there own reasons and then see how they struggle, I've made great plugins that I have sold 10 off, there great to me not to everyone else. This community has been amazing for ywears people are so generous, sharing they find resources they share. Christ I know of buzztouch members who have actually given second hand macbooks and apple equipment to others to help people out and encourage ios development. I have had people buying me programming ebooks, source code all kinds, we take something we give something back.

Angry Ninja
Aspiring developer
Maine
05/22/14 08:50 AM (10 years ago)
Did you even look at my plugin? It does not point to webnes, it's all customized backend scripts on my own server. And no, not just a webnes script rip. Again, like I said in the other topic you started about this, I'm not getting drawn into a pissing match. You think you know everything about MY code, when you haven't even looked at it. Oh, you might want to contact Microsoft about stealing the Microsoft Word code from Apple... they have Text Edit after all, which is identical, as far as I can tell my looking at a screenshot for 2 seconds without investigating further. I've said my peace. Done.

Angry Ninja
Aspiring developer
Maine
05/22/14 09:35 AM (10 years ago)
KozmoWeb, Back on topic, yes, as stated in the description, Apple would not approve the app with this in it. It's meant for personal builds to have on your own phone or to let your kids play with, not so much for commercial distribution. I mentioned that in the description that apple would reject your app if you try to submit it in this manner.

MacApple
Apple Fan
Reg: Oct 25, 2010
USA
05/22/14 11:28 AM (10 years ago)
Sneaks in.... BT TOS prohibits the use of copyrighted material. Sneaks out.

MacApple
Apple Fan
USA
05/22/14 11:28 AM (10 years ago)
Oops. Double post. Blaming poor internet in middle if nowhere Indiana. Please excuse me.

Angry Ninja
Aspiring developer
Maine
05/22/14 11:40 AM (10 years ago)
Sneaks back in... Thats why the roms are not bundled with the plugin. ;) Otherwise my universal studios app wouldnt be allowed either, or any radio station app, etc, etc. All that stuff is pulled in from a third party public resource, and not part of the plugin package. ... sneaks out ;)

Kittsy
buzztouch Evangelist
Liverpool
05/22/14 11:49 AM (10 years ago)
What's incredible is the guys that rested it did it in less than 24 hours in a hackathon. here's the finalist I remember only finding a few on github, https://medium.com/pennapps-spring-2014/1d0dd66dc57c I'd say I'd love to go but I'd be sitting there twidling my thumbs just putting random mosaics and carousels in things

Kittsy
buzztouch Evangelist
Liverpool
05/22/14 11:51 AM (10 years ago)
I think if no one put a copyrighted image or font or whatever I think we would have just white apps with no colour. Did you know that if you use face books hexcolor in the wrong context you can have your arse smacked. I did some stuff with bump got bless its soul and if you could only use there branding and catch phrases colours if they spotted they demand you app be brought down and fed to pygmy goats

Absentia
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: Oct 20, 2011
Alaska
05/23/14 11:43 AM (10 years ago)
If somebody actually got this through the Apple review process it would probably be #1 top paid app in 24 hours. I might still buy this for personal entertainment value though :)

Angry Ninja
Aspiring developer
Maine
05/23/14 11:44 AM (10 years ago)
Exactly, and that's what it's intended for. Apple will not approve this in an app store submission. It was released for personal builds. There is the Cydia store, which I've submitted to before, that will approve this the way it is, but you'd have to cover your butt with copyright stuff, so I'm not condoning it. I have submitted apps to the Cydia store in the past and done quite well with them. It's a very large market... bigger than people think. For awhile, I was making more on my cydia apps than I was on my app store apps. But again, the idea behind the plugin was for personal non-commercial builds. I love playing the classic NES games, and I'm sure my 4 year old will love these on my iphone and ipad as well. I can also do different game packs if you want something in particular, just let me know. I can either do single games, or packs with several games (like how this mario plugin has 3 games in one). If it was made for the Nintendo system, I can add it to a plugin. I'm probably not releasing any more of these to the plugin market however, so if I did a custom pack for anyone, I would ask the same of them. As you can see above, it wasn't received too well by a few members, so I don't want any more drama from adding additional game packs for public download.

MacApple
Apple Fan
USA
05/23/14 01:56 PM (10 years ago)
@AngryNinja - can you email me?

Angry Ninja
Aspiring developer
Maine
05/23/14 02:08 PM (10 years ago)
PM Sent (didn't have your email)

KennedyE
Android Fan
Reg: Dec 07, 2013
PH, Nigeria
05/24/14 01:21 AM (10 years ago)
Thanks guys for pointing out the copyright issues of developing a commercial app with this plugin and risking one's developer account. I almost bought the plugin to develop an android commercial app which might have been a big risk to my Google developer account from my findings here. I think plugin developers should STRESS which plugin should not be uploaded to play store or app store, because it will not be fair if BuzzTouch members loose their developer accounts for using a BT plugin or good enough such non commercial plugins should not be uploaded to BT market... but I really love Angry Ninja plugins I must say, how I wish they could be used for commercial purposes.

Angry Ninja
Aspiring developer
Maine
05/24/14 01:33 AM (10 years ago)
Yes, I mentioned it in the plugin description as well. It's nothing you'd lose you developer account over, the app would simply be rejected if submitted to a commercial App Store. Due to the confusion on this plugin, it may be better for everyone if I just remove this plugin from the market.

Login + Screen Name Required to Post

pointerLogin to participate so you can start earning points. Once you're logged in (and have a screen name entered in your profile), you can subscribe to topics, follow users, and start learning how to make apps like the pros.