Discussion Forums  >  Plugins, Customizing, Source Code

Replies: 4    Views: 74

skeetdogg21
Aspiring developer
Reg: May 07, 2014
Minneapolis
05/09/14 12:25 PM (10 years ago)

Can you customize the Menu Simple plug in to display records from a database? Or a different plug in with this capability?

I have developer experience but I'm new to app development. Wondering if there's a plug in where I can list values from a database or csv or xml file. I noticed the Instant Database plug in for purchase, but it didn't seem to just list the values in a simple menu. I'd also ideally like the database to reside locally on the iPhone, instead of on a web server. Any thoughts on how I can accomplish this is appreciated. Hoping to avoid straight coding in Xcode if possible.

AlanMac
Aspiring developer
Reg: Mar 05, 2012
Esher, UK
05/09/14 01:27 PM (10 years ago)
I haven't tried this myself, but I am wondering if the Screen Data URL option in the control panel might help? Also, I know there is a way to list csv data into html using JavaScript, if that is relevant?

SmugWimp
Smugger than thou...
Reg: Nov 07, 2012
Tamuning, GU
05/09/14 03:28 PM (10 years ago)
"Can you customize the Menu Simple Plugin to display records from a database?" Yes. although it only has one line of display… "I'd also ideally like the database to reside locally on the iPhone" You would want to use SQLite. …"Hoping to avoid straight coding in Xcode if possible" It's not possible. Unless you hire someone to do the coding for you. --- Welcome to Buzztouch! Hope you find your way around! If you have any questions, the forum is the place to ask, so go for it! But I would mention that if you venture away from plugin use 'as designed' you'll probably be looking at modifying the code, be it iOS or Android. To me that's half the fun. If you get stuck, yell to the world; we'll come running. Cheers! -- Smug

skeetdogg21
Aspiring developer
Reg: May 07, 2014
Minneapolis
05/09/14 03:39 PM (10 years ago)
Thanks for the responses. I should clarify.. I don't mind coding in Xcode, I'm just hoping to avoid coding from scratch. I like this plug in idea. I've research how to create a SQLite database and include that with my Xcode project. But how do you customize a plug in to display data from the database? I wouldn't mind starting with the Menu Simple plug in if that's a step in the right direction, but ideally I would like to display more than one value/field per row/record. Thanks again. Any specific steps are appreciated.

SmugWimp
Smugger than thou...
Reg: Nov 07, 2012
Tamuning, GU
05/09/14 04:32 PM (10 years ago)
Take a look at a couple of the menus available, specifically either Susan Metoxen's 'Menu with Image' or Chris1's 'Menu with Image Advanced'. Both offer multi-line display, that can serve as a starting point for a 'modified cell', which can be altered to display much more. Working with SQLite inside the app will require a bit or reading up. I use the FMDB library in my projects (available at github) when I use embedded maps in my apps. Learning 'buzztouch' and learning 'xcode', or learning 'buzztouch' and learning 'java' is basically saying the same thing, because a BT project is nothing more than a head start in the environment of your choosing. But not everything is 'jigsaw ready' depending on your goals. However, our forums are second to none, and while not everybody has done everything, most everybody has done something and have a bit of experience and knowledge to share. Just keep thinking and asking, and hopefully you'll be well on your way in no time! Cheers! -- Smug

Login + Screen Name Required to Post

pointerLogin to participate so you can start earning points. Once you're logged in (and have a screen name entered in your profile), you can subscribe to topics, follow users, and start learning how to make apps like the pros.