Discussion Forums  >  Self Hosted Control Panels

Replies: 3    Views: 75

Joe Sprott
Code is Art
Reg: Aug 20, 2011
Melbourne, FL
05/07/14 04:57 AM (10 years ago)

Client URL Modification

Has anyone moved an app from your self hosted to a new URL and server? The process entails re uploading to apple and google. The question is - once the new url for the app has been placed in the market is it necessary for the app to be reinstalled on the end users device? The refresh has no data to pull from. Has anyone figured a way to get around this or maybe I don't have a grasp on the concept? I have a client that I need to move an app for and it causes so many problems for the end user if they must reinstall the app. It's more of a hassle but the client would be upset or not, who knows but I am trying to smooth a transition with an app transfer from self hosted back to Buzztouch or another self hosted platform and server. Anyone dealt with this issue? Joe Sprott Bodacious Media

chris1
Code is Art
Reg: Aug 10, 2012
Austin, TX
05/07/14 07:14 AM (10 years ago)
Yes, this is the problem with transferring apps. You can change the data URL on the old server to point to the new one, so that once they update they will be looking at the new server from there on out. But you'll need to keep the old server up long enough for everyone to get the update with the new dataURL.

Joe Sprott
Code is Art
Reg: Aug 20, 2011
Melbourne, FL
05/07/14 07:17 AM (10 years ago)
thanks that will do fine for me mucho thanks

Fingers Crossed
Veteran developer
Reg: Jan 16, 2012
Simcoe, ON
05/07/14 11:19 AM (10 years ago)
I basically inserted a new menu as the start screen with an image showing that the app has been updated, and please download the new version. You can give a custom URL to the new version, and you can give a 'Continue' on to the old main menu. (or let them pick if it's a TAB layout)

Login + Screen Name Required to Post

pointerLogin to participate so you can start earning points. Once you're logged in (and have a screen name entered in your profile), you can subscribe to topics, follow users, and start learning how to make apps like the pros.