Discussion Forums  >  Xcode, Errors, Installing, Configuring

Replies: 14    Views: 138

PiR
Aspiring developer
Reg: Apr 21, 2014
grenoble
04/22/14 09:49 AM (10 years ago)

How to use xcode with windows ?

Hello, I want to kow how to use xcode with windows or if is existing an alternative ? Thanks

tb
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: Nov 03, 2011
Oxford
04/22/14 10:00 AM (10 years ago)
Hi PiR, Xcode is the official software used to make iOS apps, which has been developed by Apple. They require Xcode to run on an Intel-based Mac running OSX 10.8 or later. I'm afraid there isn't a way to get Xcode on a PC, simply because it's a Mac-only application. If one were to find a way, it would be illegal. However, you can develop Android apps on either Mac or PC. For this, you need Android Studio or Eclipse.

PiR
Aspiring developer
grenoble
04/22/14 10:11 AM (10 years ago)
Thank you Thomas So I don't can develope any is app ?

GoNorthWest
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: Jun 24, 2011
Oro Valley, AZ
04/22/14 10:16 AM (10 years ago)
Hi @PiR, Welcome to Buzztouch! Thomas has it correctly, and the answer to your last question is that you cannot develop iOS apps using Xcode on Windows. There are some hackintosh solutions out there, and some potential VMware solutions, but they are all use at your own risk. You CAN do Android development using Windows, Mac or Linux. Mark

PiR
Aspiring developer
grenoble
04/22/14 10:17 AM (10 years ago)
Thank you

CMCOFFEE
Android Fan
Reg: Jan 04, 2013
Amarillo, Texas
04/22/14 10:58 AM (10 years ago)
Before I got my mac, I used macincloud.com

tb
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: Nov 03, 2011
Oxford
04/22/14 01:36 PM (10 years ago)
The problem with these solutions is that it isn't really a Mac, you are contacting a Mac. Apple can see what device an app was submitted from, and I have heard about rejections simply from using online or VMware solutions. Macs are actually cheaper than people think, and you can often find some quite good deals online when buying second hand. BuzzCast (Stobe) has some good words! ... and this isn't related, but I was actually in Grenoble yesterday!

Angry Ninja
Aspiring developer
Reg: Aug 25, 2013
Maine
04/22/14 03:57 PM (10 years ago)
I used to think mac owners were arrogant, and it was an overpriced piece of hardware sub par to a PC... really only needed if doing a lot of photo and video editing. My progression from a die hard PC user for over 20 years started about 4 years ago, and went something like this.... 1) Crap... to develop iOS I need to use a mac... but I HATE apple. Ok, I have a small HP netbook I'm not using, I'll make a hackintosh out of it and use it for xcode only. 2) Hmmm... I still think apple sucks, but I'm getting a lot of business from these apps. I guess I'll buy a used barebones macbook for $250 on ebay and use it just for Xcode. 3) Ya know... I don't know what I was thinking. I really like this Mac. I haven't had a blue screen of death, a window freeze up, a driver issue, or anything else for months... my god... I haven't even had to reboot in over a month, and this thing was made in 2006 (about 5-6 years old at the time)! That's it... I'm buying a current model Macbook Pro. 4) I friggin' LOVE apple! My macbook pro is great, but I use it so much I want something even more portable. I'm going to the apple website and building and ordering a top of the line Macbook Air with every single option upgraded to the max. Biggest solid state hard hard drive available, most ram possible, fastest processor they make... give me the works! And I've never looked back.... Using a PC now is like "something's wrong... it can't actually supposed to run this slow, right?". With mac, there's no drivers to worry about, you just plug something in and it works. I reboot literally like once a month (and my boot time is 9 seconds!), and thats usually only when I have to reboot for some sort of update, even though I use VERY heavy photo/video editing programs, and even using it to run my entire home theater in every room of my house using networked XBMC. Now, you couldn't pay me enough to switch back to PC. But it's because of Xcode that forced me to use a Mac before I truly experienced the difference.

chris1
Code is Art
Reg: Aug 10, 2012
Austin, TX
04/22/14 04:52 PM (10 years ago)
I haven't heard of Apple rejecting an app because of "how" the app was developed - or rather, how Xcode was ran in order to develop the app. Still, I would suggest using macincloud.com for your first iOS project, then try to use that app as leverage to get someone to pay you enough for a Mac to create an app for them.

MacApple
Apple Fan
Reg: Oct 25, 2010
USA
04/22/14 06:56 PM (10 years ago)
Buy a Mac. Just bought a US one and shipped to UK for a good Android dev buddy, worth it. He's happy.

PiR
Aspiring developer
grenoble
04/22/14 11:23 PM (10 years ago)
Macapple, I don't want to buy a mac because of restriction of apple, we see this here, you don't have mac so you can't develop app for ios Thank you for all your answer

Caslor
Android Fan
Reg: Jul 26, 2013
athens
04/23/14 06:51 AM (10 years ago)
i own 3 pc machines with one beeing in ubuntu linux i find it very anoid have to by a mac just to make an application that dont know if i get any money from it so there is always a solution... i could provide more details but i dont know if it is that aproved from forum rules just add these words to your browser search machine like google OS X 10.9 Mavericks VMware it will give you lot of results ... some video tutorials and lot of detail instractions and links for the files it works for most of the intel based pcs and some of the Amd based mine works fine.. i can import my buzztouch code and preview it to the xcode simulator.. the only problem is that as i havent a paid developer acount i cant compile it.. for the moment i am uploading only for android devices. this is cheaper solution and there are lot more android devices around the world than iphone ;)

chris1
Code is Art
Reg: Aug 10, 2012
Austin, TX
04/23/14 07:21 AM (10 years ago)
Talking about VMWare isn't against forum rules, although it comes with a lot of mixed results. I'd be cautious about spending $500 or so on a computer too if I had never created an app and had no idea if I could get the money back out. Always a solution, though if you plan to make multiple apps for iOS in the future, it's worth it to find one, even if it's a few years old.

FunkyMonkey
Aspiring developer
Reg: Aug 07, 2013
blackpool
04/23/14 09:07 AM (10 years ago)
I went down the vm route before i bought a mac, i was convinced i could do it,but to be honest i spent so much time trying to get various software to work, and when it did work it was very,very slow, and had huge amounts of errors, so i bit the bullet, spent £300 on refurbished mac, soon as it arrived i realized how much time i had wasted trying to get a pc to work like mac, i used to think mac guys where uppity, but since owning ipod/iphone and mac, i now realize there built like bricks compared to pc,s and android, my advice would be, invest in mac, don't waste loads of your valuable learning time trying to bypass xcode, its not worth it :)

Caslor
Android Fan
Reg: Jul 26, 2013
athens
04/23/14 09:23 AM (10 years ago)
i dont know but for me setup a mac with a vmware solution was just 1-2 hours to setup it (with the time i get to download the xcode from apple) these days this king of setup is very easy (depending from the pc - ram,cpu etc) the only problem is with the new releases of os that became available for vmware later for AMD cpu systems... intel has better suport for this solution I agree that for later if someone wants to work with iphone apps after the first results of making apps with vmware solution , should buy a mac (new or used)

Login + Screen Name Required to Post

pointerLogin to participate so you can start earning points. Once you're logged in (and have a screen name entered in your profile), you can subscribe to topics, follow users, and start learning how to make apps like the pros.