Kozbot
Lost but trying
Reg: Apr 17, 2014
Sydney
04/22/14 10:08 PM (10 years ago)

Menu text cut off.

Hi all, Is anyone getting an error like my screenshot pic https://www.dropbox.com/s/qqgavb1xoj5qaav/Screenshot_2014-04-23-14-57-30.png ? It seems that my menu text is being cut off at the bottom. Any ideas??? Thanks...

SmugWimp
Smugger than thou...
Reg: Nov 07, 2012
Tamuning, GU
04/23/14 12:08 AM (10 years ago)
It 'looks' like a BT_menu_simple, but regardless, what you'll want to do is go into your 'layout' file. With a menu, you'll have two; one for the 'list' and one for the 'cell'. The cell will be named 'bt_screen_menulistsimple_item.xml' inside you'll see a few 'declarations' of items for the cell. We'll want to play with the one that has the id of 'titleView'. Where the android:layout_height="wrap_content", you might try switching it to "fill_parent" and see if that helps. Honestly, I usually 'manually' adjust the size in the graphical layout view, but it's your choice. If you get a bunch of errors moaning about the xml references, save and close the file, and 'clean' your project. that usually gets rid of them. If you're not using a Simple Menu, whichever menu you use will have something similar; a main xml for the list, and another xml for the cell (or item). Same 'principle' will apply, although names might be slightly different. Hope this helps! Cheers! -- Smug

AlanMac
Aspiring developer
Reg: Mar 05, 2012
Esher, UK
04/23/14 02:15 AM (10 years ago)
Hi Kozbot, gday, welcome to buzztouch. Smug's answer is spot on, the easy way of fixing this is to tweak the settings in your control panel for the menu plugin you are working with. Basically, the problem is that font size for the row is too big for the row. You need to either increase the row height or decrease the font size. Cheers, Alan

Kozbot
Lost but trying
Sydney
04/23/14 04:33 AM (10 years ago)
Thank you for the help guys!!! All fixed!!! And thank you for the welcome!!! Second question, which would be incredibly helpful, is there a way of styling the menus so that they don't reach all the way to the edge of the screen? and also adding more space between each button, so that they look like buttons? That may be asking too much, but it's worth a shot I guess... Thanks again!

SmugWimp
Smugger than thou...
Tamuning, GU
04/23/14 04:42 AM (10 years ago)
In the same XML file, in the 'same area' that you worked on your text, you might need a line that looks sort of like this: android:layout_marginLeft="5dip" "5dip" is kind of like 5 pixels, in that weird android way. But the gist of it is, a lower number is closer to the left of the device. a higher number pushes it further from the left. See if that helps. You add or subtract a few pixels to see what looks best to you. Remember, not all devices display 'exactly' the same, so expect that whatever looks 'really nice' on your test device, will not look anything similar on another device. Android is a game of averages, lol! Cheers! -- Smug

Kozbot
Lost but trying
Sydney
04/23/14 04:44 AM (10 years ago)
lol... Thanks Smug... I guess it's a lot like CSS, I just need to find the right classes to call...

peterj
Apple Fan
Reg: Jun 19, 2011
location unknow...
05/02/14 06:57 AM (10 years ago)
For some reason, changing android: layout_height didn't fix my problem. I figured it would because my issue looked just like Kozbot's screen capture. What did work for me was an adjustment I made to the java file. For me the problem is in BT_screen_menuListSimple, so I went to the java file, and at line 536 there's a statement: "titleView.setHeight(listRowHeight);". I commented that out, and the issue went away.

Prince apps
Aspiring developer
Reg: Nov 23, 2012
Mumbai
06/16/14 11:23 PM (10 years ago)
Commented out means? what you did with that line? sorry sir i am new to programing. please help me , i am facing the same issue. thanks before

SmugWimp
Smugger than thou...
Tamuning, GU
06/17/14 01:36 AM (10 years ago)
In the 'C' language, which a great deal of 'sub' languages also emulate allow certain marks to provide a 'comment', so that the 'commented line' is ignored by the compiler. This was originally to allow a programmer to 'document' the code as they went along, which is still 'supposed' to be in practice today, to allow for much easier code review months later... anyway, the way it works is: Single line: // This is a commented line. It is created by adding 2 slashes to the start of the line. /* This can be a paragraph That is commented out. If you have a large amount of text or code you need to comment out, this is the suggested way of doing it. In the beginning, use a slash and an askterisk. to Close, use an askterisk, followed by a slash. */ Cheers! -- Smug

Prince apps
Aspiring developer
Reg: Nov 23, 2012
Mumbai
06/17/14 11:00 AM (10 years ago)
@Smug see // titleView.setHeight(listRowHeight); above code is now commented out right?

Nicks App
Code is Art
Reg: May 21, 2014
Las Vegas
06/17/14 12:14 PM (10 years ago)
At least you got your menu rows to be solid color. Mine are transparent, no matter how hard I try. https://www.buzztouch.com/forum/thread.php?tid=D035CEBC1BDF58B803E35F2&sortColumn=FT.id&sortUpDown=DESC&currentPage=1

Login + Screen Name Required to Post

pointerLogin to participate so you can start earning points. Once you're logged in (and have a screen name entered in your profile), you can subscribe to topics, follow users, and start learning how to make apps like the pros.