AlanMac
Aspiring developer
Reg: Mar 05, 2012
Esher, UK
04/18/14 09:01 AM (10 years ago)

Are Samsung devices better with BT 2.0?

And if so, why? I've recently released a BT 3.0 app in Google Play, but I have since found it doesn't load on two peoples Galaxy devices. They work fine on my tablet and my simulators. The same app compiled into BT 2.0 seems to be OK. I can't figure it out! I've seen a couple of other people post on similar issues, but I've not seen any resolutions. I am considering 'upgrading' the released app to BT 2.0, but before I do, I'd like to know if I can make the BT 3.0 version work. Any and all suggestions welcome please.

Susan Metoxen
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: May 01, 2011
Hopkins, Minnes...
04/18/14 10:51 PM (10 years ago)
I have 3.0 apps working well on S2 ans S3 devices. They have had problems with flashing when you scroll....I.e the white screen turns black while scrolling. This is a problem for S2 and s3 devices. I resolved it by tweaking the background color and row background colors.

AlanMac
Aspiring developer
Esher, UK
04/19/14 02:34 AM (10 years ago)
Thanks Susan. The issue is that I don't know why this app doesn't work on the galaxy devices, I cannot reproduce the problem, which bothers me. It suggests there must be something in my app that has pushed a BT 3.0 boundary. New base + my features worked on my devices. Old base + my features = improved compatibility. Currently feels like the way to go unless I can discover the problem. Alan

Susan Metoxen
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: May 01, 2011
Hopkins, Minnes...
04/19/14 11:09 AM (10 years ago)
One thing that is important with Android is to use all of the drawable folders. Just drag all the images into all of the folders. The crashes I have seen most often are when a higher resolution device tries to upscale an image because it can't find the image in the hdpi or xhdpi folder. I sometimes resize the images that are used the most often, because that is the high road on how to use the drawable folders.

AlanMac
Aspiring developer
Esher, UK
04/19/14 12:22 PM (10 years ago)
Thank you Susan, I'll give it try.

AlanMac
Aspiring developer
Esher, UK
04/23/14 03:12 AM (10 years ago)
Thanks for your help Susan, much appreciated. I put all images in all res drawable folders, but the app bulked out too much. I ended up just putting background images used in plugins in the different res drawables and I believe it made a difference. I managed to test my BT 3.0 version on various devices - all the non-Samsung devices were OK. On all the Samsung devices I tried (Galaxy S3, Note 3, S2 and S5) the app crashed when loading, it didn't get to the start screen. I just updated my app in google play but the only way I could get it to run on a Samsung was to go with BT 2.0, I still don't understand why BT 3.0+Samsung+my app is a no-no. Thanks again, Alan

Login + Screen Name Required to Post

pointerLogin to participate so you can start earning points. Once you're logged in (and have a screen name entered in your profile), you can subscribe to topics, follow users, and start learning how to make apps like the pros.