Discussion Forums  >  Plugins, Customizing, Source Code

Replies: 3    Views: 85

Theien
Aspiring developer
Reg: Dec 31, 2012
Colorado Spring...
04/18/14 06:29 PM (10 years ago)

Custom HTML/Text Issue

The Custom HTML/Text plugin likes to "clean" up the html code you paste into it. Usually this means if you put in <head> elements it changes them to <p> elements. And if you switch over to the WYSIWYG interface after pasting code, it can really screw up the code you pasted. Can we get an option sometime in the future to disable this behavior? I'd like to just paste code into it and not have it edit it to it's liking. Right now the only way I have to keep this plugin from truncating my code is to edit it locally, then copy and paste it into the source section and save it. If I switch over to the WYSIWYG editor and save, it truncates/changes a bunch of my code.

mooncelt
Aspiring developer
Reg: Nov 16, 2013
Lubbock, TX
04/20/14 01:43 PM (10 years ago)
I've also had issues with the Custom HTML/Text plugin - one time I was using Internet Explorer as my browser, and every page I opened - erased all of my text! I erased three pages of carefully authored text, including a very large table with tons of data in it - before I switched to Chrome. I've since gotten away from using IE when doing my BT work, in case there is an undocumented bug. It would be nice if the Custom HTML didn't auto-change things that it considers to be "issues" - I agree with *Theien*. Wanda

Becky
I hate code!
Reg: Aug 08, 2012
NYC
04/20/14 06:44 PM (10 years ago)
I'm running into this issue now. Copy, paste, edit. Repeat. I'm switching to HTML to save me time and I'm not sure it's saving me any time because of this.

Theien
Aspiring developer
Reg: Dec 31, 2012
Colorado Spring...
04/20/14 07:10 PM (10 years ago)
I stay away from IE as much as possible, so not sure what the issue with that is mooncelt. I like chrome for the inspect element feature that is built in. I highly suggest making backups of your HTML pages anyways, and storing them on a service like dropbox or google drive. Call me overly paranoid, but I make a backup of my configuration data file too. What I do is I create all my HTML in dreamweaver, and save each page with it's screen name. If you're using css, put it in <p> element at the top. Then once I'm happy with what it looks like, I goto my control panel, set all my screen options (background color, background image, navigation bar options), then click source, copy paste the code, and click save. Load it up on your simulator/phone and make sure it looks correct. From then on, anytime you want to make changes you just do them in dreamweaver (or whatever editor you prefer), then copy and paste the code into the source section. In the long run I think it does save time because you can make templates for your screens and just edit them, then copy and paste. But like I said in the first post, if you want to make any changes at all you have to stay away from the WYSIWYG editor. Once I figured out that it changes <head> to <p> I was ok with it, but when it starts deleting whole tables is when I get frustrated. Here is what I use for my header, the style is just an example: <p> <meta content="width=device-width, initial-scale=1.0, maximum-scale=1.0, user-scalable=0" name="viewport" /> <style> img { max-width: 100%; } </style> </p>

Login + Screen Name Required to Post

pointerLogin to participate so you can start earning points. Once you're logged in (and have a screen name entered in your profile), you can subscribe to topics, follow users, and start learning how to make apps like the pros.