mrDavid
BTMods.com
Reg: May 21, 2011
San Diego, CA
04/16/14 03:36 PM (10 years ago)

Eclipse Errors? Read this.

So I was working on an Eclipse project for a client, and had everything done "correctly". 4.0 android, 3.0 project, clean download, no iOS plugins, all looked "perfect". However, I had a nice 181 errors, nothing helped. I cleaned, refreshed, relaunched, I did it all. The Google Play Services framework (or library, in eclipse) was NOT in my project, I was not using maps so saw no reason to add it. After I followed Smug's guide, just for the heck of it, errors in plugins that had nothing to do with (or atleast, I thought) maps or google play, all disappeared. If you havent already, check out @SmugWimp's amazingly easy to follow guide by clicking the below link: https://www.buzztouch.com/files/howtos/GPSRefBT.pdf Errors that you think may not be related to not having this framework -may- disappear if you add this as shown in the PDF. Low and behold, I compiled just fine after it was added. Hope this helps some folks! (Thanks Smug!) David https://www.btmods.com/chat/

Niraj
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: Jul 11, 2012
Cerritos
04/16/14 07:15 PM (10 years ago)
Saved it for reference! Glad to seeing you embrace the best mobile OS!

mobi
Aspiring developer
Reg: Mar 23, 2014
NY
04/16/14 11:32 PM (10 years ago)
I kept having the same issue. Lots of errors because I wasn't referencing it within the project. Right clicking, then proprieties and adding it. I think it was this guide that got me through it. Sure is lots of helpful tuturiols that keep me from pulling my hair out.

KennedyE
Android Fan
Reg: Dec 07, 2013
PH, Nigeria
04/17/14 03:32 AM (10 years ago)
Thanks, I think Referencing the Google Play Services Library in your Android BT Project is a must...

Epona
Lost but trying
Reg: Apr 14, 2014
Bristol, UK
04/17/14 06:32 AM (10 years ago)
I wonder if someone will be kind and help me. I'm fluorescent green, I only started looking at all this on Monday and I have absolutely no IT credentials I'm afraid. So excuse my inability to even explain things clearly :) I've managed to download eclipse with the SDK / ADT and I've had an emulator working. And I also made a few screens in an application in buzztouch. And then I managed to import this into eclipse. But, when I try to Run it to compile it, it's complaining it hasn't got the Google Play Services directory. And when I look in the 'extras' folder to download it - as explained in SmugWimp's guide - it's not in there to choose?? Why mightn't it be in there, what can I do? (I originally downloaded the eclipse bundle http://developer.android.com/sdk/installing/bundle.html and perhaps this is actually my entire problem, have I even got the right thing to begin with? when I tried to get them separately as it says in the buzzu video, eclipse first and then SDK, I couldn't get the ADT.. Everything has so many versions and I am confused because what I'm seeing doesn't quite match the video.) (It's so annoying to be stumped at such an early stage. My colleague showed me MIT's app-making thing but it looks so controlling and clunky. I want to aim a bit higher :)

mobi
Aspiring developer
Reg: Mar 23, 2014
NY
04/17/14 07:21 AM (10 years ago)
Look in the read me file or instructions (i forget the name)when you downloaded the app. There's some instructions about this in there that may be helpful. Where to download and set it up. Don't get frustrated even though its in the early stages. Once you get it going it will be worth it. I struggled getting it to work myself.

Epona
Lost but trying
Reg: Apr 14, 2014
Bristol, UK
04/17/14 07:32 AM (10 years ago)
Thank you, and yes, I'd got to part 3 of the pdf you mention. It says you must import the Google Play Services library http://developer.android.com/google/play-services/setup.html and the instructions are "Scroll to the bottom of the package list, expand Extras, select Google Play services, and install it." My problem is that it isn't inside the Extras list?

Login + Screen Name Required to Post

pointerLogin to participate so you can start earning points. Once you're logged in (and have a screen name entered in your profile), you can subscribe to topics, follow users, and start learning how to make apps like the pros.