Higgey
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: Sep 07, 2011
West Midlands
04/11/14 01:23 PM (10 years ago)

Google Play Tablet Optimisation

Hi, I've been trying to figure out how to optimise my android apps so that Google Play will recognise them as configured for tablets. Not so easy!. I've tried adding this code to manifest: <uses-sdk android:minSdkVersion="11"/> <supports-screens android:largeScreens="true" android:normalScreens="true" android:smallScreens="true" android:xlargeScreens="true"/> and then switching to advanced mode when uploading my .apk file to Google Play. But no joy, it still isn't recognised as tablet configured. I'd be grateful for any advice about how to achieve tablet configuration. John

SmugWimp
Smugger than thou...
Reg: Nov 07, 2012
Tamuning, GU
04/11/14 02:57 PM (10 years ago)

AlanMac
Aspiring developer
Reg: Mar 05, 2012
Esher, UK
04/12/14 02:45 AM (10 years ago)
Truth is I don't actually know and wouldn't mind finding out myself. I know that when you create your entry in Google Play store you submit photo's for 7 and 10 inch tablets if your app supports that - maybe the fact that you do that tells Google the app is optimised for tablets?

Higgey
buzztouch Evangelist
West Midlands
05/14/14 06:16 AM (10 years ago)
Hi everyone, Thanks we all your help so far. I have managed to optimise a couple of apps for tablet, now. I've done it by adding an additional .apk file to Google Play. This needs to be done on the .apk tab of your Google Developer account by selecting Advanced Mode. You must use a higher Version number when adding the additional .apk file and Google will then serve up the correct version for either tablet or phone. I added some screenshots taken from a tablet, but I'm not sure whether this was entirely necessary in order to get the app accepted as tablet friendly. You might be able to do it by uploading only a phone screenshot, but you then risk having your tablet optimisation rejected later, if your app get a manual review. I do not know whether this will actually happen it is just my opinion. Make sure there is not too much white space on the app's home screen as this will cause it to be not recognised as tablet optimised. Try changing background colour of the menu, for instance, so it's not all white. Here are the steps that I carried out. They all took place on the manifest file; 1. Update to a new Version in manifest. 2. Add to manifest: <uses-sdk android:minSdkVersion="11"/> <supports-screens android:largeScreens="true" android:normalScreens="true" android:smallScreens="true" android:xlargeScreens="true"/> 3. Remove from Manifest: <supports-screens android:largeScreens="true" android:normalScreens="true" android:smallScreens="true"/> 4. Change in manifest: <uses-permission android:name="android.permission.CAMERA"/> to <uses-permission android:name="android.permission.CAMERA" android:required="false"/> 5. Google Play - switch to Advanced Mode in APK tab. Upload new APK. Click Publish Now. 6. Add screenshots for 7 and 10 inch screens. Enjoy! John

Higgey
buzztouch Evangelist
West Midlands
11/21/14 07:21 AM (9 years ago)
Further to the above, I have found that apps may still be deemed to be not tablet friendly. This may well be due to your screenshots if you get a message saying that you should make the most of tablets' display. Here is a possible solution; Note which size device is giving you a warning on the Store Listing page of your Google Play Developer account. Go to http://developer.android.com/distribute/tools/promote/device-art.html Upload a suitably sized image. Drag the image to your computer to save. Upload that image to the Store Listing page on your GP dev account. Save and Publish. Hopefully that will resolve the issue for you. Kind regards, John

Login + Screen Name Required to Post

pointerLogin to participate so you can start earning points. Once you're logged in (and have a screen name entered in your profile), you can subscribe to topics, follow users, and start learning how to make apps like the pros.