JackieAuthor
Lost but trying
Reg: Mar 13, 2014
location unknow...
03/31/14 10:18 AM (10 years ago)

Android app won't run on my phone (for testing)

I'm a complete newbie in the app world, so this whole process has been painfully frustrating, but I was able to create an app exactly like I want it and get it running in the ios simulator on xcode. I had a lot of trouble getting it error free in Eclipse, and was successful in creating an apk to test on my phone ... but it won't launch. Click the icon and the screen goes black for a few moments, then goes back to my home page. I realize the problem could be any number of things, but what is the most common? Any tutorials out there that might help me pinpoint the cause? Thanks for any help you can give me!

LA
Aspiring developer
Reg: Aug 16, 2012
Jerseyville, IL
03/31/14 10:24 AM (10 years ago)
Welcome @JackieAuthor, There are many tutorials here on buzztouch. The "How To's" section above here and The Learning Path are great ones! If you are using the same project for IOS and you are trying that on Android/Eclipse, then most likely it won't work. Do you have a splash screen? LA

GoNorthWest
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: Jun 24, 2011
Oro Valley, AZ
03/31/14 11:05 AM (10 years ago)
Hi Jackie, There could be a ton of reasons that it's not working, and the only way to really understand what's happening is to view the LogCat data. You can hook your device up to Eclipse and run the app, watching the LogCat output, or create an Android emulator, run the app there, and watch the LogCat output. Pasting output at the time that the app crashes or fails to load is the most useful. Mark

GoNorthWest
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: Jun 24, 2011
Oro Valley, AZ
03/31/14 11:06 AM (10 years ago)
And building on what LA was saying above, if you have any screen transitions in your app, like a Fade or Curl, that will cause the app to crash on Android. You'll need to remove those transitions in your control panel. Mark

Login + Screen Name Required to Post

pointerLogin to participate so you can start earning points. Once you're logged in (and have a screen name entered in your profile), you can subscribe to topics, follow users, and start learning how to make apps like the pros.