hasher13
Android Fan
Reg: Jul 21, 2012
Wethersfield
03/31/14 08:28 AM (10 years ago)

Error with the Name in the Application tab in the manifest

Hello, I have an error indication that the name is incorrect in the application tab in the manifest file. Actually it says it does not exist. Is there a way to correct this? I am not sure how it got changed. Thanks, Howard

GoNorthWest
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: Jun 24, 2011
Oro Valley, AZ
03/31/14 09:06 AM (10 years ago)
Hi Howard, Can you paste the error or provide a screen shot so we can see it? There are multiple names, and ways to fix them. Thanks! Mark

LA
Aspiring developer
Reg: Aug 16, 2012
Jerseyville, IL
03/31/14 10:28 AM (10 years ago)
Yeah, I have encountered this also! LA

hasher13
Android Fan
Wethersfield
03/31/14 01:00 PM (10 years ago)
Sorry for not being specific. I hope the link works. https://www.dropbox.com/s/ervlaq35xt653mn/name_error_eclipse.doc

GoNorthWest
buzztouch Evangelist
Oro Valley, AZ
03/31/14 01:15 PM (10 years ago)
This is the section in the manifest file that contains that line: <application android:name="jesussaysv2_appDelegate" android:icon="@drawable/icon" android:label="@string/app_name" android:theme="@style/hostThemeWithTitle" android:hardwareAccelerated="false" android:debuggable="false"> The jesussaysv2_appDelegate, in this case, needs to be the same throughout the project, in all the source files. I'm not sure how it got changed in your project, unless you happen to have two projects with the same name loaded in Eclipse, and it had to rename one of them? Mark

hasher13
Android Fan
Wethersfield
03/31/14 07:41 PM (10 years ago)
Thanks Mark, I found the error and this is what happened. I updated the app, repackaged it like I have always done. Then when I tried to upload the new apk onto google I got this error: https://www.dropbox.com/s/uo0wzdmiysnn4eb/apkv2.doc So I went back and changed the package name to contain a capital "V", which did not give me errors at the time and allowed me to repackage it. I then uploaded it through google play with no errors, great! So I thought I tried to download the new version from GP and the app wouldn't up. Just gave me the error that app suddenly stopped working and needs to close. I went back into eclipse and then saw the error regarding the name. Changed it back to small "v", errors went away and repackaged. Tried to upload the new APK and got the error again the names do not match. I am not sure how it got changed in GP, but it won't allow me to upload it unless it has a capital V. Any suggestions, thanks, Howard

GoNorthWest
buzztouch Evangelist
Oro Valley, AZ
03/31/14 07:56 PM (10 years ago)
Hi Howard, Wow, that's kinda crazy. If you're downloading your package from the exact same control panel that you used to download it the original time, and you haven't changed the app name in the control panel at all, then there shouldn't be any conflicts. Google Play does indeed require the packages to have the same name, as that's one way it identifies that it's the same app. Are you absolutely sure you didn't make any changes in the control panel that would have affected the name of the app? Alternatively...if you're just adding some new plugins, you can download the new package, copy over the plugin source files and xml layout files to the old package, and then compile. Just make sure the appDelegate statement is correct in each file first. Mark

hasher13
Android Fan
Wethersfield
04/01/14 11:31 AM (10 years ago)
Hi Mark, I can't be absolutely sure that I did not change it because in the control panel the name is always lower cased and like you said if I changed it one place I have to change it everywhere. The update was only to the GooglGCM push notification. I was having problems with it and not it has been resolved. Is there anyway to change the app name in BT to the capital "V" then download it so it will make all the changes? Does that make sense? Thanks, Howard

GoNorthWest
buzztouch Evangelist
Oro Valley, AZ
04/01/14 12:16 PM (10 years ago)
Yep, makes total sense. In your control panel, head over to Core Settings, and then Project name. You can make the change there, download the code, and it'll be reflected throughout. Mark

hasher13
Android Fan
Wethersfield
04/01/14 12:43 PM (10 years ago)
Do I have delete the whole whole app from Eclipse or can I just update 1 or 2 files from the download source to make the changes? There is some specific configuration that I have done and would hate to have to go back and do it all again. thanks, howard

GoNorthWest
buzztouch Evangelist
Oro Valley, AZ
04/01/14 01:35 PM (10 years ago)
Every source file will change with the new name. So, you could either do a Refactor (rename) of your current Eclipse project, and that should affect all the files, or you could replace the project in Eclipse with the new package and redo the custom coding. It's a pain for sure when the project name changes, but the <name>_appDelegate string appears in all the source files. Mark

hasher13
Android Fan
Wethersfield
04/01/14 02:27 PM (10 years ago)
Oh, please explain further about this "Refactor" process. I am not aware of this and perhaps this might be easier to do. H-

GoNorthWest
buzztouch Evangelist
Oro Valley, AZ
04/01/14 02:32 PM (10 years ago)
I know very little about it, so I don't want to lead you down the wrong road. My understanding is that if you use Refactor > Rename, it'll rename your project, along with the methods and stuff in the src code that use that name. But, to be honest, I've never used it. If you try it, make sure you back up the project first so you can restore it should problems occur. To rename, right-click the project, select Refactor > Rename. Mark

hasher13
Android Fan
Wethersfield
04/01/14 06:25 PM (10 years ago)
This might be a stupid question but is there a good way to back up your project in eclipse? Can right mouse click the project and copy it? Or is there a real back-up feature in eclipse?? Thanks, Howard

GoNorthWest
buzztouch Evangelist
Oro Valley, AZ
04/01/14 07:49 PM (10 years ago)
I just make a copy of my project files folder. That way if I mess anything up, I can delete the bad copy in Eclipse, and import the backup. Mark

hasher13
Android Fan
Wethersfield
04/02/14 05:53 AM (10 years ago)
Okay, just to give an update. Sorry this might be long! So I went to do the refractor "rename" and it said location already exists. Figured since I am only changing a lower case "v" to an upper case "V" it sees it as the same. So I renamed the existing folder so it would be different and tried it again. Problem was it is looking for the old files to rename the new files and since the old files are now in a renamed folder it could not do it. So can't cant change name through refract. :-( Then I bit the bullet and changed it in BT and re-downloaded the source code. Imported, checked the manifest and it does have a capital "V" so I think I should be good for that, BUT with the new source code I am getting ALOT of errors in the "Src" files, Manifest files and other files. I believe this is because i do not have the correct Java compiler set or the correct Android build. I forgot what they should be set at, Adroid or Google API...11 or 14, Compiler 1.6 or 1.7. I think I had this problem prior and once changed all that correctly, it fixed all the errors. Need to do some research. Thanks, Howard

hasher13
Android Fan
Wethersfield
04/02/14 06:00 AM (10 years ago)
This is the message that I am getting in the Console tab [2014-04-02 08:53:46 - com.bbahV2.BT_activity_start] Android requires compiler compliance level 5.0 or 6.0. Found '1.7' instead. Please use Android Tools > Fix Project Properties. I tried to do the fix project, but nothing happened. I can't find where to change the compliance level to 5 or 6 Thanks, Howard

GoNorthWest
buzztouch Evangelist
Oro Valley, AZ
04/02/14 07:34 AM (10 years ago)
Hi Howard, Wow, you are in serious uncharted waters here! The Fix Project Properties always seems to just work, but you might want to follow it up with a Project > Clean to see if that helps. Also, you can use a text editor to make sure that all <appname>_appDelegate statements in your src files are named correctly. Could be that's the problem as well, though they should all have a capital V if you've renamed the project that way. Mark

hasher13
Android Fan
Wethersfield
04/03/14 05:49 AM (10 years ago)
Hi Mark, SmugWimp, was familiar with the problem. It seems that the Google play services are not installed with the download and once you add that to the project all the errors go away. Good to have an amazing forum! Howard

Login + Screen Name Required to Post

pointerLogin to participate so you can start earning points. Once you're logged in (and have a screen name entered in your profile), you can subscribe to topics, follow users, and start learning how to make apps like the pros.