FRSquid
Aspiring developer
Reg: Mar 18, 2014
Minneapolis
03/30/14 10:46 PM (10 years ago)

Version of eclipse, android sdk

I've been having some troubles following along with the eclipse tutorials you guys have up in the BuzztouchU and I think it may be from you guys using an older version of eclipse/sdk at the time of the videos vs the newest versions that I have installed. For example, when I start a new android project it makes an activity_main.xml and a fragment_main.xml file as the layout files used for the MainActivity.java file. Since the videos do not cover fragment layouts it is very troubling for me to follow along when you make a new layout because when I make a new layout, I don't know how to link it to the MainActivity code. Long question short, do you guys suggest I re-download and re-install older versions of eclipse and/or the android sdk (which I am totally okay with if it means I can follow the video tutorials), or do I have to make due with relating the videos to my newer version.

GoNorthWest
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: Jun 24, 2011
Oro Valley, AZ
03/31/14 07:59 AM (10 years ago)
Hello @FRSquid, Welcome to Buzztouch! I have a YouTube channel that shows how to set up your environment, as well as how to deal with the Buzztouch v3 project files: https://www.youtube.com/user/gonorthwest Hope this helps, and let me know if you have any further questions! Mark

FRSquid
Aspiring developer
Reg: Mar 18, 2014
Minneapolis
03/31/14 04:56 PM (10 years ago)
I followed the videos and everything was set up fine and I haven't had any troubles setting up a Buzztouch v3 project. I still am confused by the layouts and fragments and how they relate to the BuzztouchU tutorial video projects (they only use and reference one .xml layout file).

GoNorthWest
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: Jun 24, 2011
Oro Valley, AZ
03/31/14 06:12 PM (10 years ago)
Unfortunately they don't relate to the BTU tutorial videos at all because fragments weren't really around at that time, and Buzztouch didn't add them until BT v3. So...to learn about it, you'll have to Google it! Mark

Login + Screen Name Required to Post

pointerLogin to participate so you can start earning points. Once you're logged in (and have a screen name entered in your profile), you can subscribe to topics, follow users, and start learning how to make apps like the pros.